Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 43 Spanish brass (Read 1396 times)
bullshop

43 Spanish brass
Jun 21st, 2024 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Is there a case that can be used to form 43 Spanish using simple hand tools ?

IP Logged

4060may

Re: 43 Spanish brass
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2024 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Cheatin Charlie did a dissertation on doing so, somewhere on this forum
if not , contact him, I know he does it, I shoot with him

IP Logged

steveu

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2024 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
A buddy of mine is experimenting with 45-90 cases and black powder now.  Seems to work, bonus is that the cases can now fill up the long freebore and get the bullet out to the lands.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
steveu wrote on Jun 22nd, 2024 at 4:30pm:
A buddy of mine is experimenting with 45-90 cases and black powder now.  Seems to work, bonus is that the cases can now fill up the long freebore and get the bullet out to the lands. 

Wonder what he's doing about the big difference in rim diameters with .45-90 being .597" and the Spanish being about .040" larger rim?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
You can contact Quality Cartridge to get on the backorder list. You never know. Your backorder might be the one to make a production run worthwhile.

IP Logged

steveu

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Wonder what he's doing about the big difference in rim diameters with .45-90 being .597" and the Spanish being about .040" larger rim? [/quote]

He found some clips to fit on the cases to help extract them, you do have to orient them to catch the extractor.  I have read in the past that some were using 300 WM cases and the clips also.

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2024 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
It isn't just the difference in the rims.   There is a big difference  in the diameter of the base of the two cases too.   The 45-90 is  .501 and 43 Spanish is .516.  I tried some 45-70 sized down in the 43 Spanish and they split.

George

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2024 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
This is what George is saying.
I tried Cheesy to form some .45-2.6 into .44-77.
Or was it for the .44-90bn Shocked
Kurt

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2024 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
I will give you my experience in making 43 Spanish cases for what it is worth in order I did it.

1 Reform 43 Mauser cases, shorter than Spanish but works that is all that is needed.

2 Reform 44-90 cases Jamison cases no longer made if you ream the chamber neck works really well but finding the cases will be a problem.

3 Use .300 magnum case,  trim to rough length then blow out shoulder and neck after file or lathe turn belt to fit chamber.  Neck needs reamed to size and use snap ring in extractor groove. Cheapest route but more work.

4 If I needed to make more I would try .458 Winchester Mag. case, size neck and turn belt to fit chamber and use snap ring for rim. May not need to ream neck would have to check formed case.

I have done 1-2-3 and all make good cases.

Charlie

IP Logged

Bull Schmitt
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Jun 26th, 2024 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Use magnum rifle casea and turn down the magnum ring on the base to the diameter you need. Then use clips to provide the rim diameter you need. Fire form and trim.  This will work in rolling blocks but not mausers.

IP Logged

northwoodneil

Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2024 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Slightly off topic but, Track of the wolf shows 43 Spanish brass in stock. $4 each but it's quality and the rim is the right thickness. If you have to buy magnum brass and rework it you'll most likely be money ahead getting it from ToW. I bought 40 awhile back, good stuff.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2024 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
I have soldered rims onto 375 H&H cases with good success.   Turn down the case-heads some, solder brass rims on, then turn them to size. Anneal the front half a bit.

CHRIS

IP Logged

MarkTrew
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
I think I used some from this supplier a few years ago:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

MarkTrew

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2024 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Bull,
As you asked, I don't believe there is an easy way with just simple tools to make this brass.  I tried the 45 based cases, wrong head diameter, as mentioned .501 vs .516, that's the biggie, rim diameter being next.  I've fully annealed the case, tried the ring of tape around the solid part of the head and blown out the case with minimal success. I've swaged down the 50-90 case from a .560 head to the desired .516 head, some turning to the case required, both metal flow at the head and rim diameter, not simple hand tools...

The best method I've come up with to date - start with the 348 win.  I have about 300 pieces made for two different rifles I shoot.  These are both in a 44-77 so not exactly the same as what you are seeking, but close.  First step I do is upset the rim - both of my chambers require an .080" thick rim - I would advise against a chamber with this if I had it to do again, my first rifle had this when I got it (this rifle is now gone away but the majority of my brass was made to fit it).  The next step is to anneal the case well and start the forming process in a 43 Spanish die.  There is considerable metal flow towards the head and a lathe is required to turn the head to the .516" diameter.   I've made mandrels for holding the case inside and out.  The final step generally includes neck reaming to thin things up a bit.   
For one of my rifles shooting this case I've reloaded the brass nearly 30 times, (150 pieces) and to date I haven't lost any except to a negligent crunch in the sizing die.  I do a light anneal almost every reload - don't chase color... I've used the cases for both smokeless and black, best performance from smokeless in this bottle neck.
My attached photos show a sample of a case I've been using for  a while (left one).  The one on the right is a case that shows the metal flow - I put the cart in front of the horse on this, didn't get the rim upset first... not impossibe to do now, just messes with the sequence.
A nickel's worth of info...
GT

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2024 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Track of the WEolf says they have 43 Spaniosh brass ion stock.   Kind of spendy at $3.095 each thouigh.

George

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint