Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pope Lube Pump (Read 1055 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Pope Lube Pump
Jun 13th, 2024 at 11:28am
Print Post  
My Joe Ruth repro of the famous Pope lube pump has just resurfaced. Oh Happy Day!  I bought it about 25 years ago at an OGCA show, never used.  It came to me with no insert, and I would like to make one so I can use it with my 25-20 SS low wall.  My question is, has anyone here made inserts for this specific tool. And can you share dimensions, etc?
TIA ~ Froggie

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Re: Pope Lube Pump
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Seventy eight hits and no responses?  Surely somebody out there has some experience with these?  I talked to Joe about it many years ago and he confirmed what it was, but it went astray before I could get an insert cut for it.

For some basic info, does anyone know what the insert should be made from?  I’m thinking aluminum, but since in Pope’s time Al was still pretty pricey, he may have used something else.   

From what I remember of my conversation with Joe, it was a tight slip fit and didn’t use O-rings like the later copies did. 

Surely somebody out there knows something that will help me out, and if you do Thanks in Advance!  Huh

Froggie

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
I apologize I meant to reply but it slipped my mind.  The insert for mine measure 0.5005 dia and 0.985 long.  Grease holes location depends on your bullet.  It is steel and looks to be precision ground round stock which would make sense for production work.  The insert that came with the pump is for .38
bullet so I have a specimen to work from.  I want to make a couple for my rifles myself.  Charlie

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
I checked some original Pope inserts I have and they also fit my Joe Ruth pump as well. They only insert into the pump one way bullet nose down as in the tapered Pope .32 cal. bullets have to be pushed back out. So nose end .499 top .504 length .805. Shorter than Charlies?
All originals and ones made recently for both follow the sizes I listed.  Hope this helps.

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
After reading your post I remeasured my die.  It was as I stated.  The OD is straight and pump was probably reamed with .500 reamer length as stated.  Actually length of die is not critical if lube holes are drilled correctly.  Charlie

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
For the ones Charlie Dell made for his Lube pump, he turned them out of a good grade of aluminum, then bored a pilot hole and turned two grooves for the top and bottom O-rings.  He would make up several of these "blanks"  and finish them as needed.  When he needed to finish one, he would first drill the holes in the side for the grease, then finish ream the inside to the proper diameter (or taper) then finish ream for the correct bullet nose shape.

I was hoping to do something similar (sans O-rings) in a smaller diameter for the Ruth/Pope unit.  I'm thinking of getting the proper diameter with pin gauges then giving it a go using Aluminum.  Or do you think I should use steel as Pope did?  Another possibility might be to use Delrin like John Mertz did for an insert he made for one of my Dell pumps.  I could make that a half thousandth or so oversize for a good interference fit.  Suggestions?
It's been over 20 years since I started this project so it's about time. for me to get it off the back burner and get this whole project while I might be able to enjoy it.

Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
I didn't reply Charlie because I only have an original Pope, and no knowledge if Joe Ruth's clones were the same? My Pope has an aluminum insert for my .28 Pope barrel and Pope mold.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Vall.  Every little bit of information helps.  Was the aluminum insert original to the pump, or was it added later to fit that bullet?  From what Joe told me and from what Tom has seen, the repro was faithful to the original. 
To all:  Was I correct that the close fit of the insert to the pump cavity made the seal, or was there an O-ring or two?
Froggie

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
No O rings just the tight fit.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Mine also has no O ring and seals well. I assume the insert is the original Pope as my barrel is an original Pope, and the mold is for my .28 Pope Special.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #10 - Jun 15th, 2024 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Thanks, gentlemen. I’ve now gotten more good information in less than a week than I’ve ever gotten altogether before.  One last question, please.  Is the insert relieved around the middle so grease can get to the holes easily?  Charlie relieved his so grease could go all the way around the insert and reach the bullet from all directions.
A photograph would be nice if one of you has an insert out of his pump (pretty please)
Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Jun 15th, 2024 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Yes, it's got a shallow relief cut around the center that's maybe 3/16" wide?

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #12 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks to Charlie, Tom and Vall.  As soon as the pony drops off my pump and I can precisely measure Joe’s finish ream dimension, I’ll grab a piece of aluminum rod and turn it to match the dimensions I now have.  I can easily bore the chamber for the bullet body, then make a half reamer to do the nose.  I’ve got it all firmly in the old amphibian cranium and think I can actually do it in one or two trips over to the machine shop at the community college where I used to work.  Once I finish one there I can make a few additional blanks to bring home and finish on the antique lathe in the basement.  Heck, I probably can get this job done more quickly and easily than assembling the low wall!   
Best regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #13 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Tom and Charlie, I’ve just reread your dimensions and have to ask.  Do the large diameters of your different really differ by 35 thousandths?  If they are that different, I guess I’ll have to spend extra time measuring my specific pump’s chamber.   

I understand the difference in length of the various inserts to accommodate bullet lengths, but think for my purposes I’ll settle on one (fairly long) length for my blanks just to be consistent. 

Thanks again,
Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Charlie, my inserts are bored through, not shaped for the bullet nose. Not sure they'd be as easy to use if they weren't bored straight through as they are?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint