Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) swaging bullets info wanted (Read 469 times)
Mick B
Oldtimer

swaging bullets info wanted
Jun 10th, 2024 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
I have a Hi Wall in cal 40/65, the bullet I mostly use is a BACO Money Bullet JM409400M4 which in my 20-1 alloy makes a bullet of .409 dia . I would like to get a swage to bump the bullet up to .410" and make it a better fit in my fired case.
My question is this, who makes such a swage that can be used either with a hammer or perhaps in my loading press ?
I guess my second question would be would this same person accept Mastercard payment and ship to Australia ?
Just recently I tried to purchase some bore pigs from a source in the US and unfortunately the guy who makes them was unable to accept credit card payments and ship over seas.
Cheers
Mike.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: swaging bullets info wanted
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2024 at 8:35am
Print Post  
does not a swage make things smaller not larger??  art

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2024 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Mick B
Seems to me that lapping out the base band your present mold to cast a .410 bullet would be a less costly solution rather than buying a swaging die to bump up your .409 bullets. It would even be less expensive to get a new mold that will cast .410 than a custom swage die.
If you are hard-set about swaging bullets, you might check out the Cast Bullet Assoc. (CBA) website. Some of those guys are experts a bumping-up bullets a thou or so.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2024 at 12:06pm by RSW »  

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2024 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
This might give you some ideas on how to do it.  It was posted by one of our own members Steve B.  Have fun.  Charlie

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2024 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
There numbers of swaging operations but one thing they all have in common is reduction in diameter and creating a new profile or shape. With aluminum masts, spars or poles the blanks are hydraulically forced through a series of profile dies that yield a cross section design and a certain amount of taper, also known as extruding.   

On terminal or end fittings for wire rope there are two types of swaging operations, a tubular highly compressed full length swage and the weaker hammer swaged fittings that technically could be called forged. Actually hammer forged barrels are a type of form swaging though a bit more complicated and accurate. Anyway there are several types of swaging from tube to axial etc.

Rick

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2024 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
I used to have a swaging set that would take a length of lead wire that would drop into a half jacket and had various top punches that when pressed onto the wire in the forming die would create half jacketed bullets of various nose forms and weights and the excess lead once the wire was squished to diameter and shape would bleed out any extra through a hole in the top.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2024 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
I think my request to find a supplier of a swage to bump up my slightly undersize bullets confused some people who thought I wanted to form bullets from scratch. Anyway I will try the CBA site and see what they have to say on the subject. This might end up going into the "too hard basket" if it looks like costing a lot.
Again, thanks to all who responded.
Mike.

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2024 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Mick,

You might check Corbin swage. I think but I'm not sure they can ship over seas. I use their press and dies as well ass Richard Corbin's but I think he retired but it's still doing some part time. 
When you use a wage die for doing what you're wanting with a GG bullet it's best to fill the lube grooves with lube and the lube will hold the base from pushing the lube grooves together. 
C&H used to make a loading press die set that can be used for what you want.
But what RSB mentioned will work well using 1200 grid sand paper on a proper diameter dowel rod. 
Or just get a proper mould made. Less cost than a sewage die.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2024 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Mike, I think Randy and others had the best solution for you and that is just to lap out the base band of your mold. You only need .0005 taken off the mold to give you a .001 greater diameter of your bullet's base to match your case's neck. Any other approach using pressure (swaging) could do things to other parts of your bullet that you don't want, like increasing the diameter of your bullet's nose, which could give you problems in seating.
You might also consider just using the proper neck sizing die to take just the portion of the case neck that your bullet seats in down .001.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2024 at 1:23am by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2024 at 4:09am
Print Post  
I've been involved with Corbin presses. All involve lots of $$. And if you succeed in increasing the diameter of an existing bullet, you will distort the grooves.  Randy's advice is spot on.  Or just get a mould that casts a bullet to the desired diameter.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2024 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Looks like a new mould may be the way to go rather than experiment with modifying my existing mould or messing around with some form of swage.
Mike.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2024 at 3:41am
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on Jun 12th, 2024 at 7:55pm:
Looks like a new mould may be the way to go rather than experiment with modifying my existing mould or messing around with some form of swage.
Mike.

Agree.  Many years ago I started my cast bullet journey with my Dad's microgroove Marlin 336, in .35 Remington.  Microgroove barrels need bigger bullets, but I found that "bumping" boughten .357 bullets increased the diameter in the lube grooves long before it did anything for the O.D.  So I had to learn to cast.  That was 25 years ago........

<div class=

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2024 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
I started casting my own projectiles over sixty years ago and I still  don't like doing it. My long search for a rich widow, who would like to take up bullet casting for me has met with utter failure, perhaps I should delete the "rich" requirement.
Cheers
Mike.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint