Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Does anyone thin rims? (Read 811 times)
GunBum

Re: Does anyone thin rims?
Reply #15 - Jun 11th, 2024 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
If reducing the web thickness by 0.015” was a problem…. I’d be dead a long time ago.  YMMV

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Jun 12th, 2024 at 9:33am
Print Post  
I may be a bit late to this thread but thinning rims is not a hard job and probably best done in a lathe. The best way to thin the rims is from the case side. I have done this back when Uberti first come out with their '76 Winchester. They set the headspace to the original instead of modern brass. The best way I found to thin the rims was to make a plug to fit snugly in the case mouth with a center drill hole in it. Then chuck up a piece of stock and cut a recess to just fit the rim diameter and to a depth slightly less than the rim thickness you need. Hold the case to the recess with  a tail stock center and use a cut off blade or other tool to feed straight in and out to cut the rim to thickness. Takes longer to put a case in and out than to make the cut. It  helps a lot to have the cases sized to the necks are all the same diameter. 
Hope this helps and the pics make it easier to understand. 
Sam

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Sam beat me to it. I would only add that I am using the threading stop to set a repeatable depth. The receiver plug is bored a couple thou over the case rim diameter, .050” deep, and not taken out till the job is done. Pressure on the live center drives the case via the friction at the rim plug. Hope Bill doesnt notice that I am .0004” over on the last case Roll Eyes

With this training seminar, now you too, can make an easy $5/hr!

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Very nice pics. Yes I have a carrage stop on my lathe that I use. What I do to measure rim thickness is I took a piece of round aluminum longer than the cases, squared eacn end and drilled a hole through that just fits the case. I then use a dial indicator on top of a flat disk on top of the case head to measure the thickness. The disk keeps your indicator tip from dropping into the headstamps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint