Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Zika sight (Read 855 times)
JKR
Participating Member

Zika sight
Jun 1st, 2024 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
I recently bought a nice old Meacham 45-90 that came with a Soule style long range sight marked Zika. It was original to the rifle as listed on the 1997 purchase recipe. This is my first encounter with a Zika sight. I’d appreciate any information. 
It appears to have been a quality sight but is now loose in every way possible. Is there anyone who can make repairs? 
Any information is appreciated. 
JKR

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Zika sight
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Frank Zika made some very nice tang sights. I've never owned one myself, but seen a few friends had on rifles and they seemed to be nice quality.
Can't help with who might fix or tighten one up, or if it can be done?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2024 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
You might try "ssrifles" Tony Maddox here on this site. He manufactures beautiful copies of sights for single shot rifles, and may be able to help you.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JKR
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2024 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks. I’ll ask. 

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2024 at 5:58am
Print Post  
JKR, there is a member on here, bohemianway (Charles), who maybe able to help. After Frank Zika passed I believe Charles purchased some of Frank's stuff like his milling machine and maybe sight pcs. I know I sold him a tang sight and I have one of Frank's front wind gauges on a rifle of mine. Good stuff.

IP Logged

JKR
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2024 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the contact info. Actually I got brave and did it myself. After taking it apart I gave the barrel a little squeeze in the vise then lapped in the staff until it moved smoothly with no slop in either direction. 
It’s a nice sight complete with a Hadley eye cup but the elevation scale is way more complicated than my MVA sights. I put an MVA on the rifle and will offer the Zika for sale when I get back from Quigley. 
JKR

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2024 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Jim, You will be happy you made the decision to go with the MVA sight. The Zika's are a good sight but the vernier scale is a different can of worms and no reason to go there if you're used to something else. Sort of like going from irons to a scope. Takes some getting used to. I was talking to a friend in Yuma and we were both surprised that the rifle was still available and then I saw that you bought it. Wink Bob

IP Logged

JKR
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2024 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Bob, 
Since I have four MVA sights, this one is just confusion waiting to happen! Best that it go to someone who knows them. It is a nice long range sight. 
I picked up the rifle on Saturday. I managed to put some rounds together and have fired maybe twenty. It’s looking real good at 200 at least. I’ll do some serious work with it when we get back from the Q. 
See you there!
Jim

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint