Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens Scope Model# vs Serial # (Read 3474 times)
bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Stevens Scope Model# vs Serial #
May 30th, 2024 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
The Stevens scope that Marlinguy recently bought shows 3125 after the 'No' .  I have one marked 'No 368'  I have assumed mine is a model 368.  Is that correct or is that the serial number or is Vall's a model 3125?  I am confused!

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Re: Stevens Scope Model# vs Serial #
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2024 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Here are photos of the 20" scope I got on a Stevens 44 1/2 #45 gallery rifle.  THe barrel was never cut for a front sight and the barrel address is on the flat clockwise from the top.

The rifle serial number is in the 59xx range.

How does this compare with your scope in terms of the length and the mounts?

Note: I suspect the flat spring on the rear mount is a replacement - it's soldered in place.  I don't know if the front spring is original or not.  It's pinned to the base.

« Last Edit: May 31st, 2024 at 1:53am by Smoke »  

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2024 at 4:17am
Print Post  
J. Stevens Rifle Scopes
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2024 at 10:49am by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2024 at 9:20am
Print Post  
A Stevens 368 is a 6X, a 388 is an 8X. Both made in the 1920's. The 388 is much less common. These are model numbers. I've never seen serial numbers on any Stevens scopes, I am not saying that it didn't happen.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2024 at 9:54am
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on May 30th, 2024 at 5:53pm:
The Stevens scope that Marlinguy recently bought shows 3125 after the 'No' .  I have one marked 'No 368'  I have assumed mine is a model 368.  Is that correct or is that the serial number or is Vall's a model 3125?  I am confused!

Jack

The Stevens scope I bought from Smoke was built before WWI and is before catalogs listed them as specific model numbers. So that's a serial number on it, not a model number. 

The chart SchuetzenBob posted is not quite complete as a lot of scopes listed by model numbers came in much longer lengths than that chart shows. I have a 28" and 30" Stevens scopes that are both #368.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Andover Arms
Participating Member

Reply #5 - May 31st, 2024 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Sure shot wrote on May 31st, 2024 at 9:20am:
A Stevens 368 is a 6X, a 388 is an 8X. Both made in the 1920's. The 388 is much less common. These are model numbers. I've never seen serial numbers on any Stevens scopes, I am not saying that it didn't happen.

Agreed, these are "generally" the model number of the scope. But with all things Stevens, "generally, usually, most often" are the key words. I have a 24 inch marked "NO 781"...so who knows.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 31st, 2024 at 10:18am
Print Post  
All this is starting to make sense now. maybe.  BTW my scope has clickless Winchester A5 mounts and a post reticle.  I my first post on the forum was an inquiry about my scope. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 31st, 2024 at 10:19am
Print Post  
In Tom Rowe’s American Rifles Sights book, there are a couple of scopes listed with similar numbers. Both in the 1400’s.

I would be interested to no if the scope referenced above that Marlinguy now owns, if the front mount would fit a Standard Stevens dove tail.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - May 31st, 2024 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on May 31st, 2024 at 10:19am:
In Tom Rowe’s American Rifles Sights book, there are a couple of scopes listed with similar numbers. Both in the 1400’s.

I would be interested to no if the scope referenced above that Marlinguy now owns, if the front mount would fit a Standard Stevens dove tail.

Both mounts appear to be for target bases, not dovetail mounts. So to use this on a Stevens dovetail would require a base adapter.
One of my Stevens scopes uses dovetail mounts at both ends and they are both 3/8" for my Ballard #3. The other is 3/8" front, but 5/16" rear. I have it on another Ballard and had to use an adapter 5/16" to 3/8" for the rear.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - May 31st, 2024 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Schutzenbob wrote on May 31st, 2024 at 4:17am:
J. Stevens Rifle Scopes

Bob,  do you have any idea which year(s) those ads were published?

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #10 - May 31st, 2024 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Bruce,

The top page is from 1914, the lower page is from 1920.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 31st, 2024 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on May 31st, 2024 at 9:54am:
bpjack wrote on May 30th, 2024 at 5:53pm:

Jack

The Stevens scope I bought from Smoke was built before WWI and is before catalogs listed them as specific model numbers. So that's a serial number on it, not a model number. 

The chart SchuetzenBob posted is not quite complete as a lot of scopes listed by model numbers came in much longer lengths than that chart shows. I have a 28" and 30" Stevens scopes that are both #368.

I’m not sure, but I’m pretty sure that I have a Scope marked Stevens Arms and Tool, that has model numbers. Maybe more than one.

If scopes were marked like rifles, 1916 was the change from Stevens arm and Tool, to Stevens Arms. Not sure I’ve paid enough attention to the scope markings to catch one marked “Stevens Arms”.

Keep in mind Stevens also sold Malcolm scopes before selling  Catarac scopes that I think were marked Stevens before buying the company. Is it looks me the serialized scopes were actually made before Stevens bought the company?

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - May 31st, 2024 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on May 31st, 2024 at 12:46pm:

If scopes were marked like rifles, 1916 was the change from Stevens arm and Tool, to Stevens Arms. Not sure I’ve paid enough attention to the scope markings to catch one marked “Stevens Arms”.

It's kind of hard to see in the scope I show above from my gallery rifle, but it says "Stevens Arms Company"

If anyone is curious, let me know and I will pull it out and take clear pics of the markings.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - May 31st, 2024 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Scopes made by Stevens when owned by Savage after 1920 would be marked Stevens Arms Co. Also any scopes made after 1916 would be marked Stevens Arms Company, unless they were using up old in stock tubes with the Stevens A&T marking.
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2024 at 2:01pm by Sure shot »  

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 31st, 2024 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Smoke wrote on May 31st, 2024 at 1:40pm:
Dellet wrote on May 31st, 2024 at 12:46pm:

It's kind of hard to see in the scope I show above from my gallery rifle, but it says "Stevens Arms Company"

If anyone is curious, let me know and I will pull it out and take clear pics of the markings.

In bpjacks original post. Both scopes are marked J Stevens Arms & Tool. One with model number, one serialized. I would have considered both of those to be Pre1916 based on the roll mark change on the rifles is supposed to have changed then.

Can’t remember but I think the first dedicated scope catalog was 1901 or 03, so it’s kind of a small window. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint