Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mike Venturino (Read 1072 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Mike Venturino
May 30th, 2024 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Saw this on the Shiloh Sharps forum this morning:

From the Colt Forum:

Friends,
I just got the word Mike is in hospice and not expected to live out the week.
I don’t know if he will be back on the forum. I was asked to post this.
This is such a shock and so sad.
my heart goes out to him, all of us, and his family. He is family to those of us that are part of GUNS, American Handgunner, and other magazines, as well as here.
God’s speed Mike.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ... 7/#replies

Also: Posted by MLV on 5/29 at 5:2 PM

Guys, I'm still hanging in there. Bedridden and unable to walk but one of the drugs they are plying me with is strengthening my heart. The doc said today that if I left today i might not survive the two hour drive home but if I will stay here a couple more days they can send me home with that drug. It might give me a few weeks. Regardless my shooting and writing days are over. You guys and others like you have made it possible for me to have had such a wonderful life. I thank you.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Mike Venturino
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2024 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
That is sad news.  It was his article in Guns and Ammo that came out after the Quigley Down Under movie where he went to Hank Williams Jr's ranch and shot both original and Shiloh Sharps rifles at about 900 yds that got me interested in single shots.
I hope he has more quality time left.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2024 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Very sad to hear this.  Met him once at a gun show; a nice guy and a very good writer.  He's one of those rare writers that can make you interested in what he writes about even if it isn't in your area of interest.

Hope those heart medications pull him through.

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2024 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Met and stood in a group with Wes Ugalde and Warren Center & others at the SHOT SHOW in Las Vegas. I was a hang-on groupie but recall standing outside the group with big ears. Mike was like a big fat kid that everybody listened to. Not knowing who he was really so I was puzzled. Aren’t all gun scribes and experts supposed to be older white haired guys, well no.  So lesson learned cause he didn’t fit the physical profile but his words appeared to  carry some weight and from what I could see from the rim of the conversations he had Warren Centers attention.  Regardless of my general observations his Wife was really friendy and full of information. 

Rick
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2024 at 7:33pm by burntwater »  

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2024 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Meeting up with Mr.Ruger in either his Southport,CT or bigger Newport, NH factories was not easy. But he always had his ear to the ground and liked to talk with writers according to his friend Warren Center. I met him once at Riley’s Gun Shop in Hooksett, NH. Could not shake his hand because it was so curled up and crippled but he was a force

Rick

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2024 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
My heart ejection fraction has improved with time with the new heart treatments, pacemakers, and drugs plus reduction of water on the lungs. Hopefully they can help 
improve Mike's situation as well. We look forward to more of his rifle and ammunition articles. I have enjoyed reading Mike's works plus shooting at competitions with him.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 31st, 2024 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Over decades, I looked forward to what Mike Venturino was up to in his writtings.

IP Logged

TomKlinger

Reply #7 - May 31st, 2024 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
The Shiloh forum has a post that Mikes new medication is helping!
He’s not out of the woods however he is home…
Good news👍
Tom Klinger

IP Logged

awp101

Reply #8 - May 31st, 2024 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
This is what he posted on the Colt Forum:

Quote:

I have experienced a miracle and found my own personal angel. Last Wednesday May 22 four doctors stood by my bedside and grimly told Yvonne and I that there was no hope. My only choice was to determine where I wanted to die. True that. I was put in ICU where I met my angel. She just wouldn’t give up on me. With some research she determined a med that might help and a doc to prescribe it. My blood pressure at tha time was about 70/50. The new med started raising my blood pressure, making taking another med possible. I started gaining strength so I’m now home: a place I never expected to see again.

I’m not entirely out of the woods. The entire bottom could drop out. And I have to carry around an infusion device, probably for as long as I live. As for writing more and shooting I’m not sure. I’m just going to take a hiatus for awhile.

The Wheels of Justification grind slowly but inexorably

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint