Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Shipping through FFL dealer (Read 727 times)
22scope
Participating Member

Shipping through FFL dealer
May 28th, 2024 at 7:56am
Print Post  
I have a few items to sell and some need to go through a ffl dealer . I know nothing about this process . Can someone in the know give me a quick lesson on this subject . I have a few actions an a rifle or two . Thanks for any help .

IP Logged

Longknife

Re: Shipping through FFL dealer
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2024 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Just take the items to your local dealer, he will do the rest.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2024 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Depending on the circumstances and what State you would be sending a "non -antique" item, 
You may be able to send item directly to your purchasers dealer, thereby saving your fee that you would have to pay Your dealer..
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2024 at 11:37am
Print Post  
It seems that some FFLs still accept shipments from private individuals.  When I bought my 1919 dated high wall years ago I could not find one locally who would do that.  One told me that he had received a letter from the ATF strongly suggesting he should only accept shipments from other FFLs.  I hope to be shipping one soon and hope I can ship it direct since the shipping costs through Pirate Ship (thanks Vall) are much more reasonable.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2024 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on May 28th, 2024 at 11:37am:
It seems that some FFLs still accept shipments from private individuals.  When I bought my 1919 dated high wall years ago I could not find one locally who would do that.  One told me that he had received a letter from the ATF strongly suggesting he should only accept shipments from other FFLs.  I hope to be shipping one soon and hope I can ship it direct since the shipping costs through Pirate Ship (thanks Vall) are much more reasonable.  

Jack

Was that "official" ATF protocol or a local agent's interpretation whilst asserting his authority? The Federal laws governing interstate firearms commerce are fairly specific (but still draconian). Not the first time I've heard of an agent getting it wrong. Where the real hassles occur is with state laws covering said commerce, which can pile on regulations that muddy the waters. That and commercial carriers cooking up their own sets of draconian regulations.

Make no mistake fellas, we're the bad guys and not a one of those nincompoops can distinguish between a High Wall and an AR-15. We are all nogoodniks, it would seem.

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2024 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
The above observations should re-read and considered closely. When I was a FFL mechanic back in the 90’s the hardest part of my little enclave was waking up at night wondering if my books were spot on and my interpretation of the the existing forms was legally correct. I soon refused to transfer comp pistols and revolvers which were the bulk of my money losing business. 

Case in point a young attractive head strong female ATF agent who showed up in my home attached shop in NH. She was business like to the point of unfriendly then spotted a High Standard 102 Trophy Bullseye pistol I was working on for a customer. She immediately honed in on the muzzle brake ( factory ) took a picture, called it a silencer-suppressor and bagged it and red flagged it. The gun was now frozen and owner unable to get it back. Three weeks later I got notification the gun was released, no explanation,  but my records were tagged as ‘ possible violation ‘. 

Printed rules are one thing but it’s the field agent who interprets them and can paint you infraction red

Rick

IP Logged

4060may

Reply #6 - May 28th, 2024 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
FYI
I tried to ship a rifle UPS, FEDEX, If you are not a FFL holder, With an account with either of them, they will not ship it, as of November 2023
After tearing my hair out, and going to the dealer UPS sent me to, they wanted to unpack the rifle and re pack it charge me and then 75.00 to ship it
went to the local PO, they said no, looked up the rules , called the postmaster, took it to my local PO, and shipped it, no problem, make sure there is no mention of firearms on the box, and the FFL is under the shipping label

USPS 432.3

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - May 29th, 2024 at 6:27am
Print Post  
Longknife wrote on May 28th, 2024 at 8:40am:
Just take the items to your local dealer, he will do the rest.

22scope, this is sound advice and at the least a place to start.
Shipping FFL to FFL is the least hassle and best way to stay out of the ATF's way. It will cost but usually those costs can be recovered thru the customer paying it in added shipping expense or figure it into the selling price before advertising. Dealer on your end will charge a nominal fee plus the actual shipping expense. Buyer pays for the dealer on their end.
It's not complicated and quite routine. Take all the horror stories with a grain of salt and don't lose sight of the mission.
Speaking of the mission what do you have to sell?

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 29th, 2024 at 9:39am
Print Post  
I have mailed long guns to myself for over 30 years using USPS. Had a few tree huggers try to make up rules but in the end their Postmasters got them on the right track once I made them look at the postal regs

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint