Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The things you can find out about your rifle (Read 1677 times)
Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: The things you can find out about your rifle
Reply #15 - Aug 31st, 2024 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
It is funny how rifles move around. I picked up an 1897 Deeley & Edge long-range military rifle from a guy in Alaska of all places. How does a rifle built-in England end up in Alaska?
On another note about a missing Rigby, there is an article in the Black Powder Cartridge News about a letter written by Custer to another person where he wants to set up long-range shooting around Chicago. He goes on to say that he has a long-range target set up at his post and wants to continue setting up a long-range club after his campaign out West is finished.
He was gifted the Rigby by Leech when they happen to run into each other at the Palmer house in Chicago when Custer was with Grant.  Grant heard Leech was staying there while on his trip west after the Creedmoor matches and invited him to dinner.  Leech gifted the rifle to Custer, and it was the one he used in the 1874 Match. It disappeared in 1913 and nobody has seen it since.

IP Logged

condorsc

NRA Life/Benefactor, ASSRA,
SCV Life

Reply #16 - Sep 1st, 2024 at 12:08am
Print Post  
jfeldman wrote on May 28th, 2024 at 8:53pm:
Found this Jack...
    SWORD, ROBERT was born 5 January 1899, received Social Security number 540-01-8313 (indicating Oregon) and, Death Master File says, died January 1981
Source: Death Master File (public domain). Check and Archives.com for ROBERT SWORD. [$]

See you at Tommy's!

Regards,
Joe

I am from S.C. but I was issued a SSN that corresponds to Georgia. So evidently the SSN doesn't always correspond to your state of residence when issued.

IP Logged

condorsc

NRA Life/Benefactor, ASSRA,
SCV Life

Reply #17 - Sep 1st, 2024 at 12:26am
Print Post  
I have one of the 10,000 Military RBs sold to Sweden prior to their purchase of manufacturing rights. My rifle has the Swedish C with a crown on the barrel. The top tang has the correct Remington patent markings. I also have a 1937 military Erfurt Mauser carbine with Waffenamts, in 7mm Mauser. It was obviously never issued and was professionally sporterized, with a beautiful deep blue finish. Prettiest rifle I ever owned.

IP Logged

Fields
Participating Member

Reply #18 - Sep 9th, 2024 at 9:11am
Print Post  
I paper all of my firearms, through manufacturer, Cody Museum or various Collector Associations. The only two gun in my vault are undocumented are my Stevens 44 1/2 25-21 and Remington 722 .257 Roberts.
I believe it's worth time and expense and in many cases when you sell one it increase the value.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint