Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fairfax Virginia trapdoor matches (Read 525 times)
oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Fairfax Virginia trapdoor matches
May 17th, 2024 at 7:48am
Print Post  
Just so you we are not all Ballards and Stevens,   here's the group from Fairfax, Va. and results of the Trapdoor  Ram Bash.  I've shot my Trapdoor - that's a hardy bunch!

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Fairfax Virginia trapdoor matches
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2024 at 9:06am
Print Post  
40 NRA Lever silhouette rams hung with chains at 200 yards.  Offhand, hit or miss scoring .

Boats

IP Logged

slowshot

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2024 at 11:54am
Print Post  
now that sounds like a fun game
slowshot.

IP Logged

1Hawkeye

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2024 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
It was a lot of fun. The two fellas who thought it up last year have been trying to schedule it since last year and finally got the chance this month. We had 15 shooters most of which used original trapdoors either in original or sporterized configuration two shooters used H&R officers models one shooter used an Allen conversion in .50-70 (he took 3rd place after a 3 way shoot off) and one shooter used a trapdoor he built himself from an action he found at a show which he chambered in .50-100 ouch. We plan on having another trapdoor match just as soon as scheduling permits.

IP Logged

RonnieMilsurp

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2024 at 6:33am
Print Post  
How often do y'all do these?

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2024 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Monthly there are 4 regular Ram Bash 40 shot offhand matches between the Fairfax Va club and my club Cavalier in Montpelier Va. Two are center fire plain base cast bullet at 200 yards 2 are rim fire at 75 Cavalier and I think 100 at Fairfax . 

Rifles single shot iron sight. Hook plates and palm rest not allowed. Most fit NRA BPCS rules but it’s not required. 
Targets are scaled to be the same visual CF & RF 200 100 75.  In practice long run score comparison they are the same. 

Additional matches can be the Trapdoor 200 yard shown at Fairfax or Buffalo at Cavalier, it’s 500 yards 10 shot offhand same rifle rules. Cavalier also runs 300 yard Issue military bolt actions same rules same format.

Fairfax’s match long running, I first shot it with a Trapdoor  about 1990, my new CPA 1993. It started 20 odd years before that.  Fairfax’s original match director’s son started the match at Cavalier about 1995. Buddy of mine originated the Rimfire  version few years after at Cavalier it migrated to Fairfax soon after.

100 miles apart the two clubs feed on each others success The rimfire match has brought many new shooters into the sport that moved into CF matches. Last Saturday terrible rain Cavalier RF had 23 shooters pre registered 20 shot, range capacity 32  it’s about typical attendance. Higher nice days  lower bad weather 

I can give shooters more details on Cavalier, send PM to contact me, Fairfax can refer to a club member.

Boats

IP Logged

1Hawkeye

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2024 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
The Fairfax match is normally on the third Saturday of the month and rimfire equivalent is on the fifth Saturday if the month has one. The centerfire is at 200 meters and the rimfire is at 100 meters. No bolt action or semi autos for the rimfire match and both matches are iron sights only no scopes. This Saturday is the centerfire match and practice starts at 9 am with the match shortly following. Match information can be found on the clubs websites Fairfax rod and gun and Caviler rifle and pistol are the club names

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2024 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Familiar faces.   I used never to miss one of the "RAM BASH" shoots.   Need to start going again.
Best regards to the FRG guys!

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint