Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fed-X and Guns ! (Read 1020 times)
Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Fed-X and Guns !
May 10th, 2024 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
So I shipped out a gorgeous low wall a couple months ago.Insured to the hilt.  Shipped to FFL. The lower tang got busted...unbelievable !   So got with fed-X...They changed there rules about a year ago.If you dont ship FFL to FFL you lose.they would not even reimburse me on the insurance $$.   I told em what i thought,have had an account with my business with them for over 20 years. So beware!

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Fed-X and Guns !
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2024 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
They're happy to take your insurance money, but wont pay when the harm your guns. And they don't tell you that ahead or you'd go elsewhere.
I haven't used FedEx for years just because they've always been horrible with guns I shipped. But regardless who I use, I always remove buttstocks and pack them beside the barreled actions to avoid broken stocks or tangs. Learned that after FedEx broke a wooden shipping crate and bent the tangs and cracked the stock on a single shot I shipped.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2024 at 9:48am
Print Post  
AntiGun employees and maybe management, too
I, too agree about removing buttstock, etc. Makes for 
a less obtrusive and stronger package
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2024 at 11:25am
Print Post  
I've had two Stevens 44 1/2's that had the tangs bent during shipping.  If you  can remove the barrel from the action I would do it, so that the weight of the barrel doesn't add to the force when the package is dropped on the end. I also suggest placing a tight fitting block of wood between the tangs on the action and secure it with tape.

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2024 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Always remove stock and ship by itself with any extras that go with sale. I always take pics of wrapping and boxing also.So there is never A question as to how I prepare for shipment.

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2024 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Couple thoughts about FedEx insurance, packaging and settlement. First I’m not sure who actually underwrites their insurance program (s). Often these so-called shipping coverages are brokered out to several underwriters. FedEx may cover the first $1k or more then others will kick in if the loss penetrates the coverage cap. I’m pretty sure their aircraft freight losses are underwritten like most airlines so it’s possible such claims could be handled differently with a real licensed adjuster.  I’ve attempted several times before to get some answers on this subject but I failed. I can assure you though that legal proceedings will most certainly name all defendants or those insuring your loss. 

Second I’m not sure a shipper can accept your package then deny your claim for insufficient packaging without some pretty explicit grounds for denial that should have been explained to the customer. Of course if your package shows no evidence of abuse or hard impact externally and the contents are damaged that can open a can of worms. Everything from evidence that shipper altered, re-taped or opened insured freight. Playing devil’s advocate here just spitballing,  but there are people who ship damaged goods and file claims all the time.  I know lawyers will tell you to photograph package thoroughly before and after, retain it if possible the packaging and have any damage assessed by an expert ( piece of cake on this forum ).  Keep all receipts since if you win you are entitled to reimbursement.  Finally look at contract see if there is an arbitration clause. These clauses can be deceptive if not physically impossible ( Arbitration convened in Puerto Rico or Guam ) but most are not. I’ve been an arbiter several times in Admiralty disputes and the procedure works, no legal fee encumbrance, no judges or discovery costs 

Rick
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2024 at 1:45pm by burntwater »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2024 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
It's not just FedEx when it comes to trying to get insurance claims paid! I had a nice Ballard I sold to a friend in Montana that I sent via USPS and it got stolen. One would think stolen would immediately get paid, but USPS did everything they could to not pay, and after denying my claim they told me I'd be sent a letter to explain why. 
They have a 45 day window from the time it's shipped, and wont let you process a claim until 15 days after. So that leaves you 30 days to claim, appeal if denied, and try to wait for the letter to be able to appeal! 
After 2 denials I contacted my congressman's office and they immediately told them why it was denied. I had to send them a copy of the check to show what he paid me. They again denied it, and my congressman's aid asked why and was told they needed both sides of the check! 
I finally got paid, but it's like pulling teeth, and a huge pain since they really spoon feed you info until someone high up tells them to give it to you. And there's no way to contact anyone by phone to get assistance. They want it all done via their website, but wont tell you everything thru their site.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2024 at 6:37am
Print Post  
Insurance companies, can't live with them, can't live without them.
Its the same no matter what the claim. My home suffered storm damage last summer and the insurance company adjuster estimated the damage 4 times, starting at $5500, then about $25K, third time $53K and finally agreeing. after 6 months, to $72K. Which BTW was my contractors original estimate. They are as sleazy as it gets.
I always have shipped using an FFL friend to ship and only ship to the buyers FFL, whether antique or modern. Always prepare for the worst and create and retain photographic evidence, you just never know.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2024 at 6:11am
Print Post  
I shipped a CZ rifle from an APO post office to my self in the Utah. When it arrived the stock was broken at the wrist. I went to the local post office to ask about filing a claim for the stock. The clerk asked: "are you sure the barrel is not bent?" I said I doubt it. He then repeated: "are you sure the barrel in not bent?" I said you are right, it probably is so I filed the claim for a stock and replacement barrel. Check arrived a week or so later.

The post office in Vail, AZ was another matter. Had trouble several times with shipping guns out. Lots of made-up "regs". After I got their regs and went through it line by line with the postmaster I never had a problem again. The clerks were always quick afterwords, definitely not friendly but quick. Smiley

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2024 at 6:25am
Print Post  
SchwarzStock wrote on May 15th, 2024 at 6:11am:
...... He then repeated: "are you sure the barrel in not bent?" I said you are right, it probably is so I filed the claim for a stock and replacement barrel.

So you claimed a bent barrel but didn't know for sure?

IP Logged

silver

Reply #10 - May 15th, 2024 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Insurance! The only thing you can’t buy when you need it Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint