Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 50-70 vs Buffalo (Read 779 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

50-70 vs Buffalo
May 5th, 2024 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
I was able to shoot a 2 year old meat buffalo with my 50-70 Roller.  I planned on using my 40-85 original Ballard Pacific but had two case separations in the last few weeks and chickened out as I did not have time to order new brass to fireform before the trip.  The Rolling Block is a #5 that I purchased with a varmint weight barrel in 250-3000 and decided to do something different with the rifle after having it 6 or 7 years.  I had JES rebore to 50-70 and Curt Hardcastle fit a new extractor.  I bought two molds from Accurate Molds, one in 450 gr and the other 510 gr.  The 510 grain mold casts a 512 gr bullet with my 16:1 alloy and was lubed with SPG Tropic.  I was shooting #5744 but switched to Re 7 for the hunt as it gave me 1350 fps and shoots about moa.  My eyes have gotten worse (going in for cataract surgery next week) and I have a 2.5x8 Leupold mounted on it.  We finally worked our way to within 100 yard of the group and waited them out until the 2 year old came clear.  Shooting of sticks I let him have it and it was obvious that he was hit.  We had to work around to get a broadside shot as he turned when he went back to the herd.  The second shot was at 77 yards and it reacted again and walked a few steps then went down on its knees.  The other buffalo were trying to get it to stand up and we went back to the side by side and drove up to chase them off.  That took some doing!  I was glad I was not on a horse!  They finally trotted off and we were able to approach to 20 yards where I shot it behind the ear for the coup de grace.  They estimated 850 pounds live weight and I got close to 300 pounds of meat, the majority burger.  Although you can't really call it a hent but more of a harvest, my heart rate got up when we were standing that close to 30 buffalo for several minutes trying to get a clear broadside shot.  Both shots were through the lungs with the first hitting part of the lower shoulder.  It was obviously sick after the first shot and even after the second shot a minute or so later it was standing with it;s head down.  The second shot had about the same effect as the first for probably a minute before it tryied to walk off and couldn't.  Follow up shots were not easy as it was never broadside and the main herd had come to withing 60 yards.  I can see why the 50 caliber was the weapon of choice for the early hunters as these animals are tough!

Twitter  
IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Re: 50-70 vs Buffalo
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2024 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
The bullets started out at 512 grains.  The flattened one weighs 502 grains and hit some bone in the shoulder.  It was found inside the rib cavity when gutting.  The second bullet passed between ribs on both sides and weights 510 grains.  It was found in the hide while skinning.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2024 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Picture of the buffalo once he dropped

Twitter  
IP Logged

degoins

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2024 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Excellent!!! Thanks for sharing!

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2024 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Well done. Had the chance forty years ago, but just couldn't pull the trigger.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2024 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Great story, nice job.

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2024 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks. Great to see a .50/70 RB still in action. That's a lot of meat!!
Spud

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2024 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Congratulations Tom! 
Great story, and a nice buff too!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

jk16
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2024 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Neat hunt and great shooting !

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 8:57am
Print Post  
I have shot two with the 50-70 on one of Turner's ranches in NM. The first was shot in the lungs at about 150yards with it running in a small circle of about 25 yards before stopping and then dropping. Bullet was found under the hide on the far side. The second shot a year later was shot at 200yds. There was a mis-communication between the guide and myself with him believing I was zero'd for 100yds. My actual zero was for 200. When I asked how far he said "100, hold center". Being a trainer sniper, I do what my observer says and held center. Fortunately my hold dropped the bullet direct into the spine. The Buff was knocked off his feet and blew over like a paper cup. Bullet was recovered from the spine. We watched his two companions try to get him to move using their horns, One actually lifted his rear end off of the ground deeply goring him in the process.

Both shot with 0.512 diameter bullets weighing 450gr.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint