Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) who was that? (Read 1869 times)
SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

who was that?
May 5th, 2024 at 7:07am
Print Post  
There was a story about an African Hunter that shot a charging animal with a handful of coins wrapped in his handkerchief loaded down the muzzle of his rifle....

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: who was that?
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2024 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Is that where we get the term “money shot”?

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2024 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Nah, it was a buck shot.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2024 at 10:57am
Print Post  
4 quarters?  Wink

Twitter  
IP Logged

John Rigby

Reply #4 - May 29th, 2024 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
It was Sir Samuel Baker in his early days with a Cape Buffalo staring at him without a lead roundball.  Used the coins.

John Rigby

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2024 at 8:29am
Print Post  
He told the guy that skinned the critter to keep the change.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2024 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
ThXX John!

Do you know where the story can be found?

IP Logged

John Rigby

Reply #7 - May 31st, 2024 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Peter Hathaway Capstick wrote about this.  I have an original tome on the life of Sir Samuel Baker.  Loved 4-bores and hunted with them.  His life was an incredible story.  His wife (European woman) he purchased from an Arab slave trader.  I would have to look in my library for other references.  My African library is about 200 books on guns, hunting and biographies.  I'm donating it to ASSRA.  Was fun while I was hunting Africa.

John Rigby

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - May 31st, 2024 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Rigby— donating that great collection of African books is a very generous gesture to the ASSRA community! Thanks!

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

John Rigby

Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Laurie and I spoke and we will meet half-way in Quincy, IL.  Some great British gun books with a ton of information and some hard to find biographies of the great and lesser known hunting legends. Might as well share with everyone. I'm still looking for that book on German Schuetzen rifles.  It's in German but I know there are those here who speak the language.

John Rigby

IP Logged

rollingblock
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
SchwarzStock wrote on May 30th, 2024 at 3:10pm:
ThXX John!

Do you know where the story can be found?

On the internet  Roll Eyes

THE RIFLE AND HOUND IN CEYLON

Suddenly a bright thought flashed through my mind. Without taking my eyes off the animal before me, I put a double charge of powder down the right-hand barrel, and tearing off a piece of my shirt, I took all the money from my pouch, three shillings in sixpenny pieces, and two anna pieces, which I luckily had with me in this small coin for paying coolies. Quickly making them into a rouleau with the piece of rag, I rammed them down the barrel, and they were hardly well home before the bull again sprang forward. So quick was it that I had no time to replace the ramrod, and I threw it in the water, bringing my gun on full cock in the same instant. However, he again halted, being now within about seven paces from me, and we again gazed fixedly at each other, but with altered feelings on my part. I had faced him hopelessly with an empty gun for more than a quarter of an hour, which seemed a century. I now had a charge in my gun, which I knew if reserved till he was within a foot of the muzzle would certainly floor him, and I awaited his onset with comparative carelessness, still keeping my eyes opposed to his gaze.
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2024 at 2:42pm by rollingblock »  

IP Logged

rollingblock
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on May 30th, 2024 at 8:29am:
He told the guy that skinned the critter to keep the change.

Na, that was what William Bonney said to Bob Olinger  Cry

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
OK, rollingblock. What was the "punch" line? Did he have to fire it? Did it stop the (since Ceylon) the water buffalo? Or did the buff decide he had a better place to be? Or did Baker step aside like a matador and let him pass?

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2024 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
[continuing with THE RIFLE AND HOUND IN CEYLON ] At this moment I heard a splashing in the water behind me, accompanied by the hard breathing of something evidently distressed. The next moment I heard B.'s voice. He could hardly speak for want of breath, having run the whole way to my rescue, but I could understand that he had only one barrel loaded and no bullets left. I dared not turn my face from the buffalo, but I cautioned B.  to reserve his fire till the bull should be close into me, and then to aim at the head.

The words were hardly uttered, when, with the concentrated rage of the last twenty minutes, he rushed straight at me. It was the work of an instant. B. fired without effect. The horns were lowered, their points were on either side of me, and the muzzle of the gun barely touched his forehead when I pulled the trigger, and three shillings' worth of small change rattled into his hard head. Down he went, and rolled over with the suddenly checked momentum of .his charge. Away went B. and I as fast as our heels would carry us, through the water and over the plain, knowing that he was not dead but only stunned. There was a large fallen tree about half a mile from us, whose whitened branches rising high above the ground offered a tempting asylum. To this we directed our flying steps, and after a run of a hundred yards, we turned and looked behind us. He had regained his feet and was following us slowly. We now experienced the difference of feeling between hunting and being hunted, and fine sport we must have afforded him.  

On he came, but fortunately so stunned by the collision with her Majesty's features upon the coin which he had dared to oppose that he could only reel forward at a slow canter. By degrees even this pace slackened, and he fell. We were only too glad to be able to reduce our speed likewise, but we had no sooner stopped to breathe than he was again up and after us. At length, however, we gained the tree and we beheld him with satisfaction stretched powerless upon the ground, but not dead, within two hundred yards of us.  We retreated under cover of the forest to the spot at which we had left the horses, fortunately meeting no opposition from wild animals, and we shortly arrived at the village at which we took up our quarters, vowing vengeance on the following morning for the defeat that we had sustained.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2024 at 9:17pm by Smoke »  

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jul 13th, 2024 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
The entire book is available on google books as a pdf.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Jul 13th, 2024 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Jeeezzz what a story. Some folks have all the fun...

JMH

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #16 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
John Rigby wrote on Jun 1st, 2024 at 9:25am:
Laurie and I spoke and we will meet half-way in Quincy, IL.  Some great British gun books with a ton of information and some hard to find biographies of the great and lesser known hunting legends. Might as well share with everyone. I'm still looking for that book on German Schuetzen rifles.  It's in German but I know there are those here who speak the language.   
Moderne Scheibenwaffen by Otto Maretsch?
Wish it was in English.
Mike 

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jul 17th, 2024 at 6:57am
Print Post  
How badly do you want it????

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint