Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Breech seating question (Read 497 times)
ten-mile

Breech seating question
Apr 26th, 2024 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
I have a 4-1/2 in 32-40 and plan to use it this season in CBA Plain Base class.  The groove diameter is 0.320".  What size should my base band be to assure a good seal?  I have an Accurate 32-195P that cast 0.323" on the base band.  I thought I could try 0.321" or just shoot as cast and seat for full engagement of the base band in the rifling.  I have zero experience with breech seating.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Breech seating question
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
The obvious answer is to try the bullet you have.  The kicker is whether it will seat fully with a plugged case or push seater.  Since that is a tapered bullet it may work OK.  The stock starting point is to seat until all but about 1/16" engraves the rifling.  This mould from CPA would be my next one to try.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

ten-mile

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2024 at 7:42am
Print Post  
Thanks, Jack. I'm hoping the 32-295P works as-cast.  It is just an inch long so stability should not be an issue.  I have a few suitable moulds but don't want to go in too many directions at once.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2024 at 9:46am
Print Post  
With the passing of Russ Weber, seater options for Stevens rifles are limited.  I make a seater for high walls but it is not easily adapted to Stevens or Ballard rifles.  At one time there were rumors of someone looking to make ones similar to a Weber but nothing seems to have come of that.

ASSRA # 11318

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2024 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Jack, I'm curious, what is the tricky part about getting your seaters to work on a CPA?  I just took one of your 32-40 highwall seaters and stuck it into a CPA and to my untrained eye, it looks like if the lug that goes into the action mortise was a little shorter and moved a tiny bit, it would work.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious though.  That's usually the case  Grin

Chris.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2024 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Chris,
The biggest obstacle is that I don’t have a CPA Smiley.  From what I have heard there may be an issue with hammer height.   I test every high wall seater with my tight chambered rifle to insure the nose portion fits correctly.  If you want to gift me a CPA I could see if I can make it work.

ASSRA # 11318

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2024 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on Apr 27th, 2024 at 10:23pm:
Chris,
The biggest obstacle is that I don’t have a CPA Smiley.  From what I have heard there may be an issue with hammer height.   I test every high wall seater with my tight chambered rifle to insure the nose portion fits correctly.  If you want to gift me a CPA I could see if I can make it work. 

Ha Ha, I understand.  Mine has a lower hammer than the earlier ones I think, and you are right, it does lightly touch the body of the breech seater.   

Chris.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2024 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Chris,

Guess I thought the OP's "4-1/2" was a Ballard Mid Range #4 1/2? Is that a mistype and he has a 44 1/2?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Andover Arms
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2024 at 11:43am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 29th, 2024 at 11:00am:
Chris,

Guess I thought the OP's "4-1/2" was a Ballard Mid Range #4 1/2? Is that a mistype and he has a 44 1/2?

I read it as a 44 1/2, but I'm a Stevens guy so I naturally would.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint