Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Charlie Dell (Read 578 times)
rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Charlie Dell
Apr 7th, 2024 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Just rereading a lot of correspondence with Charlie Dell, who was an inspiration and mentor to a lot of shooters.  It has been quite a few years since we raised our last toast to our friend.  Some of us are still on the scene (You out there, FROG?) but all of his friends remember him as as gentle friend and as a firmly disciplined range-master.   He was an inveterate experimenter in schuetzen-rifle ballistics and general gun-tinker.   

I'm especially proud to have been the person who taught Charlie to cast bullets!  (You can read about it in his books!)

He is well-remembered as a president of ASSRA, and as gunsmith and thoughtful experimenter in the general field of rifle-shooting.  He now rests in a quiet forest behind his former residence in the hills near Christiansburg VA.  RIP

CHRIS
R.G. Christensen

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Re: Charlie Dell
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2024 at 7:48am
Print Post  
A very thoughtful tribute. I learn something new every time I open the book. Thank you!

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2024 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Salud. I wish I had been on the scene then in order to have met him.

IP Logged

Isaac P

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2024 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks for leading me to that book! As I start my Schuetzen journey, it has been a miracle to find all this knowledge put together so well! Im hoping to cast more bullets by myself soon and I keep sifting through the bullet making section to make sure I get it right! Really looking forward to making friends and get to know more of you soon.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2024 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Every time I pick up a rifle or cast a bullet I think of Charlie. Ther have been many fine folks I’ve known and worked with in the shooting game, but he’s at the top of the list.  RIP, my dear friend!
Charlie Shaeff
ASSRA life #281

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2024 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
He was a true gentleman and treasure the brief time I spent with him.

Boats

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2024 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
I’m in SW Virginia. Also got here too late to meet Charlie, but have met a few folks who were influenced by him. Much influenced. Apparently Charlie was a “giver.” Chris, among others, has said, “You can’t afford to pay for this, but I’ll give it to you. Charlie taught me that.” From another person who knew Charlie I got a Breech seater Charlie made. I needed it and I hold it in high regard. CHARLIE made it! It was GIVEN to me. Wish I’d met Charlie, but he sure left a legacy.

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2024 at 5:53am
Print Post  
I met him at Salem show. I was toting an old beater Stevens. He said brig that thing up and shoot. Sadly he passed soon after. Frogged has a lot of his ways.ive been fortunate. moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint