Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Jacketed bullet resizing (Read 972 times)
yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Jacketed bullet resizing
Feb 17th, 2024 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Your thoughts on using Lyman lube sizing dies to reduce jacketed bullets, example .323 to .321 then .321 to .318. I realize I will need a die holder for my rock chucker press. The reason I am asking, is I have the lube seize dies.
Thanks Mike

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Re: Jacketed bullet resizing
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2024 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Might need an arbor press.  While you can reduce jacketed bullets in this manner, the soft lead core can loosen.  The copper alloy jacket will tend to spring back but the lead won"t.  Also, those Lyman size dies are set up for lead alloy..jacketed will come out larger than stamped size.

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2024 at 4:48am
Print Post  
I’ve had better luck with the Lee sizing dies that you use in a standard press.  I lube the bullets lightly with Imperial Die Wax.  Run them through each sizing die twice, and you’ll still have a fair amount of spring back.  But my Rockchucker is sufficient to push them through the die.

Accuracy wasn’t good with jacketed bullets reduced like this.  I’ve had better luck reducing lead and running them in my .318 bore Commission Rifle.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2024 at 11:13am
Print Post  
I looked at this a bunch a few years ago, and finally bought some already done.   

The information I gathered at the time said that accuracy was poor, unless you sized down smaller than the desired diameter, and then used a swager and die to bump up the size to what you want. 

Sizing down loosens the core, and the jacket springs back more than the core.  The resulting misbalance affects accuracy.

Bumping it back up stretches the jacket and forces the core into it tight, and the jacket springs back more than the core, essentially compressing it.  This restores the accuracy.

What I also read was that shooting .323 usually works in a .318, unless the neck is too tight.  The bullet just swages down and works.  Start with a bit of a reduced load to try it, of course.   

I haven't shot my J bore mauser enough to really test any of the above.  I lost interest in it when I finished working on it.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2024 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
I once was going to resize a whole lot of 8mm bullets that had been pulled from some surplus ammo. A gift to me that I was going to shoot in an old Mauser sporter with the smaller, early bore size. I gleefully went to work one morning and soon quit. It took me a couple of jammed up bullets that needed to be pounded out (thought it was my lube) before I investigated further to find that the damn things were old military fare with steel cores. Tossed those suckers out to avoid any further temptation, sold the rifle and swore off all 8mm for life. 
Just in case you are the fellow that ended up with all those bullets.

IP Logged

Otony

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2024 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
ssdave wrote on Feb 18th, 2024 at 11:13am:
I looked at this a bunch a few years ago, and finally bought some already done.  

The information I gathered at the time said that accuracy was poor, unless you sized down smaller than the desired diameter, and then used a swager and die to bump up the size to what you want. 

Sizing down loosens the core, and the jacket springs back more than the core.  The resulting misbalance affects accuracy.

Bumping it back up stretches the jacket and forces the core into it tight, and the jacket springs back more than the core, essentially compressing it.  This restores the accuracy.

What I also read was that shooting .323 usually works in a .318, unless the neck is too tight.  The bullet just swages down and works.  Start with a bit of a reduced load to try it, of course.  

I haven't shot my J bore mauser enough to really test any of the above.  I lost interest in it when I finished working on it.

If I remember correctly, many of the older .318 bore rifles had the throats re-cut to accept the newer cartridge. I am guessing it may have incorporated a longer, tapered throat to ease the pressure as the larger bullets staged down

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2024 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Yes, I have a sporter proofed in 1912, the bore slugs .319, the chamber neck will allow the use of .323. It shoots them fine. I have another one proofed in 1933, it has to have .318 bullets.
Mike

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 3:54am
Print Post  
I collected 1888 Commission Rifles (the first 8mm) for a few years and have about 8/9 of them, including the Turk, rebarreled ones so, I studied them, in those years. 

The 8mm, has a very long throat. It is about .42°, originally made for the very long, round nosed 223gr bullet. Originally 7.9 bore x 8.1 groove (J bore). In, I believe 1905 they increased the groove to 8.2mm (S bore) and started using the 154gr spitzer bullet.

A lot of people think that the J bore rifles were rechambered  to shoot the Spitzer and "S" marked but, they were marked "S" after they were tested, with a gauge to insure that they would chamber the "S" bullet.

The "S" bullet has a very short groove diameter band, about .23 so, in the long throat, it will swedge down easily and so will lead bullets of any type.The problem for the "J" groove barrels, are long .323 bearing band bullets, like the 198gr spitzers or the Speer 200gr bullets

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 20th, 2024 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Years ago, I went through the sizing down jacketed bullets routine. I also had stuck bullets and poor accuracy.

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2024 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Feb 19th, 2024 at 3:54am:
I collected 1888 Commission Rifles (the first 8mm) for a few years and have about 8/9 of them, including the Turk, rebarreled ones so, I studied them, in those years. 

The 8mm, has a very long throat. It is about .42°, originally made for the very long, round nosed 223gr bullet. Originally 7.9 bore x 8.1 groove (J bore). In, I believe 1905 they increased the groove to 8.2mm (S bore) and started using the 154gr spitzer bullet.

A lot of people think that the J bore rifles were rechambered  to shoot the Spitzer and "S" marked but, they were marked "S" after they were tested, with a gauge to insure that they would chamber the "S" bullet.

The "S" bullet has a very short groove diameter band, about .23 so, in the long throat, it will swedge down easily and so will lead bullets of any type.The problem for the "J" groove barrels, are long .323 bearing band bullets, like the 198gr spitzers or the Speer 200gr bullets

my understanding was a combination of long bearing surface and shallow grooves in the I or J 8mm, caused rapid barrel wear. To solve the problem the JS rifling was deepened and a 154gr
Bullet was adopted.
Mike

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2024 at 3:34am
Print Post  
That could have been, plus the effect of the, then available primers and powder, too.

7.9 x 8.1 is .0079, almost the same as the .008, 30/40,with the 220gr bullet of the same era, it wasn't in service as long but,they didn't deepen the rifling, when they went to the '06.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint