Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 3D printed bullets for oddball antiques (Read 2000 times)
ndnchf
Oldtimer

3D printed bullets for oddball antiques
Feb 8th, 2024 at 10:16am
Print Post  
I know nothing about 3D printing, but I've seen information about it online. Has anybody tried it?  Im not thinking large quantities, but 10 or 20 to try out an oddball cartridge.

What brought me to this is an 1860s Marlin vest pocket pistol in .30 rimfire I'm working with. I've made 5 reloadable rimfire cases, but the odd bullet size is a challenge. To date, I've lopped 3/4 of the length off a 7mm Mauser bullet. It works, but is not ideal. I dont want to spend $100 plus on a custom mold. I wont be shooting it that much. But the thought of a 3D printed heel bullet is appealing. It would be extremely light, but that's ok for a little plinking with this 150 year old pistol.

Has anybody done this? Online videos show people shooting them in modern guns, so they should work for plinking in old timers too. 

Does anyone have a 3D printer and want to try?

Steve

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Re: 3D printed bullets for oddball antiques
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2024 at 11:22am
Print Post  
For a dozen shots or so I would just fire up the Unimat and make them from those 7mm bullets. By the time you work up the 3D you could be done and shooting. I don't know how well a printed polymer bullet would shoot, and you certainly can't print lead.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2024 at 11:34am
Print Post  
A polymer bullet will not give the required resistance for the
powder to burn decently. 
Another way to be able to shoot the 30 rimfire pistol would be
to get some round balls. Seems to me that a number 1 or 2 buckshot would work. Or maybe there is a suitable Lee round ball or buckshot mold. They are not expensive. 
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2024 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Really like your creativity on the cases and as you pointed out"they all fired"!

JMH

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2024 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
.30 rimfire bullet size is around .285" plus or minus a little depending on the source. There are no commonly available round balls or ball molds of this size. It may be a lot of work to design a 3D bullet, I have no experience with it. The .30 rimfire is my current project, but I also deal with other oddball heel bullet cartridges, so the technology is interesting.

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2024 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Jefftannermolds.com
Round ball molds in .001 increments

They work great. Have a .260, .309, .595, .700

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2024 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
moodyholler wrote on Feb 8th, 2024 at 8:15pm:
Jefftannermolds.com
Round ball molds in .001 increments

They work great. Have a .260, .309, .595, .700

Thanks, good to know there is another option.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2024 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Steve,
For what it's worth, we've been experimenting with a new 3D printer and the concept for making different projectiles isn't out of the realm.  The options for different filament material is quite bizarre, the costs aren't really that much either.  For us it's all about the time, never enough. 
On another note, you could easily go another route.  Make a simple mold yourself and go the hot glue method... I've used this material in a Lee mold for a bullet in a 45-70 for some pest control, worked suprising well... lube can be as simple as bullets rolled in graphite.
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2024 at 4:35am
Print Post  
Plastic don't shoot for crap. I was once looking for a way to conduct low-resource sustainment training for snipers using the German "Blue Plastic" they use for training in forest areas. By low-resource I mean no range, no safety personnel. Our barracks typically had very long attic areas with over 90 linear feet of possible shooting lanes. Because of the distance my intent was to conduct iron sight training with the Redfield sights on the M24 rifles. I set targets up at 25yds and fired over 100 rounds in 3-round groups. Grouping was dismal, typically two out of three would land close together while the third shot would go somewhere else. The flyer could be any one of the three shots and unpredicable. I gave up as I did not see any benefit to using the blue plastic since feedback to the sniper was in my mind of little value.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2024 at 5:24am
Print Post  
I hadn't thought of hot glue as a bullet. I don't know how to make a mold, but perhaps I could make a cylindrical mold of some sort. I'll have to think about that. I wouldnt expect much in the way of accuracy. But at card table range, they might be fine for the little vest pocket pistol.

On facebook I run an "Obsolete Rimfire and Heel Bullet" discussion group where I posed the same question. One of the guys who apparently does 3D printing for a living has offered to design and print some. I gave him the specs last night. So we'll see how it goes. In the interim, I made 5 bullets by cutting down 7mm mauser slugs.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2024 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Hot glue, sounds like trouble waiting to happen. I can envision a barrel loaded up with hot glue that melted on firing.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2024 at 9:04am
Print Post  
My application with glue bullets was targets of flying rats roosting in tin buildings and their excrement was causing an OSHA violation.  Most distances were 18 to 22 feet.  A glue bullet backed by 3 grains of bullseye in a 45-70 case using Eastern Euro descent primers sent down the pipe of an early NA rolling block, proved very effective at liberating the tin sheds of this vermin.  No damage to the roof tin and just when the sport was becoming entertaining the targets moved on to be the next company's problem.   
So Steve, what I was getting at, picking up a cheaper Lee mold and modifying it to fit your application isn't out of your realm.  Knock the pins out to liberate the mold from the handles, chuck it up in a lathe, mill or drill press, and modify it slightly to fit, reassemble and go.
Greg

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2024 at 9:15am
Print Post  
A couple of tips I'll pass along, I wasn't making a lot of these but I was getting best results by filling the mold, then using my patented "black rubber forend bands"  Wink to hold the mold handles together, set the filled molds in the freezer for 5 minutes and they'd fall out, on to the next.  A simple wipe down with powdered graphit and they were ready to go.
GT

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2024 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Another perspective: Consider the amount of time spent chasing spurious solutions and apply a minimal dollar figure to that time and then compare that to the $100 give or take that it would cost to have Tom at Accurate cut you a mold to cast a heeled bullet. I know, applying dollar figures to hours spent pursuing our hobby is a frightening concept, not for the feint of heart, but is a valid concept for making efficient use of those hours. Five or six hours of screwing around with this-and-that at $X/hour of what your time's worth to you, and that custom 80gr. .30 heeled bullet mold starts to look like a good idea.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2024 at 10:37am
Print Post  
There might be a technique adjustment, but a lathe might be able to turn a batch of simple lead bullets, finished up with some tumble lube?

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #15 - Feb 10th, 2024 at 11:17am
Print Post  
The guy on my facebook group is printing a few bullets for me to try out. Here is the 3rd model, using the specs I sent. In the meantime I finished up 5 rounds using the cut down 7mm bullets.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Feb 20th, 2024 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
It seems the 3D printed bullets got lost in the mail. He is going to print another batch and send them.  In the meantime, I went to the range today and tried out my five rounds of reloadable .30 rimfire ammunition using the cut down 7mm bullets. Here is a video of the fun.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Feb 20th, 2024 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Curly Bill is a gonner!

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Feb 20th, 2024 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
MANY years ago, I got from LEE some blank mould blocks, and cut some special moulds to suit a similar odd-ball requirement.   Don't know if they would supply them today.
CHRIS

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Feb 20th, 2024 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Good idea, butI won't be shooting this enough to make mold. I'll make a few more and that will satisfy me.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Feb 22nd, 2024 at 6:10am
Print Post  
Round ball the most often used simple loads in a pistol like yours. Cast with a proper mold is how the original was loaded and the best solution.

Low volume shooting, pure lead bullet, a bit too large for the bore, swaged to size in a simple shop made die & trimmed to length in the lathe would be my choice.

Plastic and 3D printing really most useful for complex shapes. Metal round projectile  so easy to shape with existing shop machinery no real reason to go 3D.Only plastics I have seen successfully used in bullets are primer or air propelled 

Opinion, others may differ 

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Feb 22nd, 2024 at 6:20am
Print Post  
Drinking coffee reading the iPad news thought about McMaster Carr

They have Delrin ball bearings in many sizes, about 10 dollars a hundred. Probably the best plastic projectiles 

Boats

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Feb 22nd, 2024 at 6:57am
Print Post  
I received the 3D and Lee 7mm soup can bullets. The soup cans will of course be cut way down and given a heel. I'll probably load one batch of each to try out in the Marlin. Then retire the little pistol to my collection.  Those remaining will be saved for the next little .30 rimfire pistol that follows me home  Smiley

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Mar 2nd, 2024 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
I finally got around to loading the 3D printed bullets for my .30 rimfire Marlin OK vest pocket pistol. These are tiny little heel bullets that weigh 6.1gr!  Loaded over 3.0gr of Old Eynsford 3F and an acorn blank, I expect there will be little to no recoil. Obviously this is not a practical solution for realistic shooting. Rather it is just to answer the question - can it be done? The answer is YES.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #24 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
I stopped at the range today and tried out the .30 rimfire 3D printed bullets. Check out the video.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
looked like a lot of fun- the satisfaction of a curious notion panning out is pretty cool, yes?

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Indeed it is. Im also curious what velocity these 6.1gr bullets are moving out at.  Maybe another range trip to answer that question!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint