Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Cast Bullet Void Test (Read 1076 times)
hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Cast Bullet Void Test
Jan 31st, 2024 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
I did a check on some of my cast bullets and here are the results - I am somewhat disappointed!  Wink

Here are the results where I faced them down in my lathe - maybe a 50 mil cut each time:

Recent cast session ~ 25 bullet lot: tested the heaviest @ 427.9 gr, and the lightest at 427.4 gr - Result: No voids!

Earlier cast session ~25 bullet lot: tested the heaviest at 427.1 gr, and the lightest at 426.8 gr - Result: No voids!

Earlier cast sessions: 425.8 gr and a 424.4 gr - Result: No voids!

At this point I thought maybe my lathe tool might be closing up voids as I was facing off the base of the bullets so I tried a 15 deg. radiused profile insert - 424.5 gr - Result: No voids!

This is maybe good news if I'm not doing anything wrong with the lathe operation.

My bullet mold is a Paul Jones. I have been trying different melt temps from 780 to 825 deg. I use an RCBS 20 lb melt pot and it is controlled by a PID. Alloy is 15-1. I faced off most of all the shanks of the bullets.

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Re: Cast Bullet Void Test
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
I've always said, "Don't worry about sizing and voids. The bullet will be round, groove diameter and the voids, if any, will be smashed flat by the time the bullet goes out the muzzle."
Now going to find my flame proof suit Wink

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

BWS

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2024 at 3:36am
Print Post  
I've made several gang fixtures(different moulds) that get used to mill bases. They do 11 at a time. 

First one was for a rather oddball factory Savage 7-08 barrel.... they made it for a year or so with an 11 twist,total flop. So I started this notion because of wanting to shorten an existing bullet to see if it worked. It did,and did so especially well... forget the details which were written down. Have other 7-08 cast rigs with more conventional twist.

Using Lee moulds is an adventure..... to say the least. 

A cpl years later.....
Next bullet was a Lee 309-150rf for an especially accurate R700V. I make tapered nose sizing dies along with my own H&I so none of this is that big of deal. Keeps my pea brain engaged. This particular Lee mould though really works well in the 308 V. So made another gang fixture for milling bases.

Our Bridgeport has more important $$ things to do than milling cast bullet bases so I found an absolutely mint the little Atlas bench drill press. We have a bunch of beautiful Walker Turner DP's in our shop.... the little Atlas is for the loading room. Snagged a XY table off Ebay for it along with a low profile vise.

Used an absolutely piece of garbage new 3/4" router bit,mainly to get it out of our cabinet shop(came in a tooling lot). Just sayin,this is a really junky bit. The results have been great. My best casts can see very consistent weights but Lee moulds have cheapy sprue plates so there was some left on the table WRT getting spot on. The .5 'ish weight range all but disappeared. But more importantly the bases are deadnuts 90* to the bullets long axis. 

I enjoy making loading tooling meaning,it isn't a chore. The time it takes to mill 11 bases on the little Atlas is hardly worth mentioning.... it's quick. 

Sorry for the novel.

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2024 at 8:25am
Print Post  
BWS wrote on Feb 1st, 2024 at 3:36am:
I've made several gang fixtures(different moulds) that get used to mill bases. They do 11 at a time. 

First one was for a rather oddball factory Savage 7-08 barrel.... they made it for a year or so with an 11 twist,total flop. So I started this notion because of wanting to shorten an existing bullet to see if it worked. It did,and did so especially well... forget the details which were written down. Have other 7-08 cast rigs with more conventional twist.

Using Lee moulds is an adventure..... to say the least. 

A cpl years later.....
Next bullet was a Lee 309-150rf for an especially accurate R700V. I make tapered nose sizing dies along with my own H&I so none of this is that big of deal. Keeps my pea brain engaged. This particular Lee mould though really works well in the 308 V. So made another gang fixture for milling bases.

Our Bridgeport has more important $$ things to do than milling cast bullet bases so I found an absolutely mint the little Atlas bench drill press. We have a bunch of beautiful Walker Turner DP's in our shop.... the little Atlas is for the loading room. Snagged a XY table off Ebay for it along with a low profile vise.

Used an absolutely piece of garbage new 3/4" router bit,mainly to get it out of our cabinet shop(came in a tooling lot). Just sayin,this is a really junky bit. The results have been great. My best casts can see very consistent weights but Lee moulds have cheapy sprue plates so there was some left on the table WRT getting spot on. The .5 'ish weight range all but disappeared. But more importantly the bases are deadnuts 90* to the bullets long axis. 

I enjoy making loading tooling meaning,it isn't a chore. The time it takes to mill 11 bases on the little Atlas is hardly worth mentioning.... it's quick. 

Sorry for the novel.

Hi- Just trying to understand you - are you saying that you feel that molds do not cast bullets with a square enough base to the axis of the bullet? If so, have you checked this in a lathe, say, where you spin the bullet concentric to the head stock and then check this using a dial test indicator across the base? Oh course too, you could be plaining off the base of a bullet to be sure there was no radius on the edge of the base.

IP Logged

BWS

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2024 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Lee moulds and their cheap sprue plates. As per my post above,the original idea was for shortening an existing design..... the results ended up showing how certain aspects,in this case Lee sprue plates.... can have an effect. Not the least of which is any base/axis squareness.

About a year? ago.....

Looked at Charpy impact tester design and chose to come up with an instrument that more represents the challenges of cast at launch. So a vertical impact tester was built. Now back to square bases....

One observation of the milled bases is how they handle impact. Reluctant to say "better" for fear of sounding like I'm trying to "sell" the idea.... am not. Just sayin... milling bases deadnuts perfect does help in some aspects. 

Have made sprue plates from scratch... so am no stranger to nice plates. I'm a guest on this forum... my interest is cast bullets. Don't want or "need" to take discussion into the weeds. Only posted because I thought it might help you in some way?

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2024 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply BWS! Always glad to hear other's ideas and theories. That's what gets us all thinking how we can solve those inexplicable flyers that go out of a round group.

That's what I've been doing. I'll shoot 5 shots for load testing and get that 5th shot that goes out of the group. I've worked quite a bit on the load and now wondering if it could be due to voids, non-square bases, rifle hold, etc.

I'll keep on digging and listening to other's experiences and tests!

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2024 at 2:02am
Print Post  
As hepburnman found out via his lathe testing, you will not find visible voids inside even poorly cast bullets.  Variations in weight of perfectly good looking bullets are caused by casting porosity or shrinkage voids which are usually too small to see and generally cannot be completely eliminated, only minimized.  Here's a link to an article I wrote some time ago on the variations in weight of cast bullets which you may find interesting.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Can you elaborate on the use of "separate digital controller" for existing bottom pour furnaces? I have three of the RCBS ProMelt units, each set up with different alloys, so if greater precision in alloy temperature would go a long way toward improving consistency, I might pop for a controller rather than a new furnace. Wink

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Peabody and Peabody-Martini's Wanted!

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
John in PA wrote on Feb 23rd, 2024 at 1:36pm:
Can you elaborate on the use of "separate digital controller" for existing bottom pour furnaces? I have three of the RCBS ProMelt units, each set up with different alloys, so if greater precision in alloy temperature would go a long way toward improving consistency, I might pop for a controller rather than a new furnace. Wink

I assume you read this article ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)), which was referenced in the earlier article link I posted.

There's a fellow (HATCH) on the Cast Boolits forum that sells PIDs ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); Or you can make your own.  Instructions can also be found on the Cast Boolits forum.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Many thanks, Wayne!

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Peabody and Peabody-Martini's Wanted!

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
John in PA wrote on Feb 23rd, 2024 at 1:36pm:

I have two casting furnaces (an early RCBS pro-melt and an Lyman) and I use just one PID controller. I don't remember off hand who I bought mine from but I purchased two thermocouples as well, one for each furnace. These stay in-place and I just move the PID controller from one furnace to the next (I don't cast with more than one furnace at a time  Smiley).

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
hepburnman wrote on Jan 31st, 2024 at 1:54pm:
I did a check on some of my cast bullets and here are the results - I am somewhat disappointed!  Wink

Here are the results where I faced them down in my lathe - maybe a 50 mil cut each time:

Recent cast session ~ 25 bullet lot: tested the heaviest @ 427.9 gr, and the lightest at 427.4 gr - Result: No voids!

Earlier cast session ~25 bullet lot: tested the heaviest at 427.1 gr, and the lightest at 426.8 gr - Result: No voids!

Earlier cast sessions: 425.8 gr and a 424.4 gr - Result: No voids!

At this point I thought maybe my lathe tool might be closing up voids as I was facing off the base of the bullets so I tried a 15 deg. radiused profile insert - 424.5 gr - Result: No voids!

This is maybe good news if I'm not doing anything wrong with the lathe operation.

My bullet mold is a Paul Jones. I have been trying different melt temps from 780 to 825 deg. I use an RCBS 20 lb melt pot and it is controlled by a PID. Alloy is 15-1. I faced off most of all the shanks of the bullets.

If your casting the weight bullets your casting with a 1/2 grain variances a loose screw plate will give those results also if the alloy mix is not completely blended it's possible that it will have this outcome. Lead is a lot heavier than tin and if the rich portion of lead gets into the mould you will see the weight vary a little.
But a loose screw plate will raise a little if you change the contact pressure with the ladle on the plate.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
The idea that lead settles out of a lead tin alloy is complete fantasy.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Jeff,

I also don't think that lead will not separate once it's blended together.
But when you make your alloy from ingots and they don't get properly mixed with flux they might get differences in weight. 
When I make a new batch of alloy it's usually in a big SST turkey cooker pot what will hold 100 lbs and I use a low RPM 1/2" angle drill with a mud mixer like they use for sheet rock mud and I will mix the lead/tin/and antimony using Johnson solder flux and mix the batch.
But this does not mean that I can get exact weight bullets, You have to learn to do the casting to get that done as close as possible for weight.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on Feb 24th, 2024 at 7:11pm:

Agree one hundred percent and it was backed up by a friend of mine with two doctorate degrees in engineering that worked at a nuclear power plant.
Some people just do things because it makes them feel better. 

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on Feb 24th, 2024 at 7:11pm:

I certainly agree.  Lead & tin forms a homogeneous mixture.  There are complicated ways to separate them using acids &/or electrolysis.  Also, the tin will not stratify is a lead/tin alloy.

Wayne

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint