Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Inertia Bullet Puller? (Read 2146 times)
SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Inertia Bullet Puller?
Nov 22nd, 2023 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Can anyone recommend a hammer type puller for use with 45-70 and 50-70?

I have a green RCBS version and although it works with 45-70 it is a struggle, 50-70 is impossible.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2023 at 3:45pm by SchwarzStock »  

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Impact Bullet Puller?
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
I'd give up and buy a collet-type puller for your press.   

(I threw out my RCBS hammer nigh on 20 years ago.)

<div class=

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
I have a collet type I use for modern ammo but they typically damage the soft lead bullets I am using in the BP cartridges and they don't work well with bullets that don't protrude much from the case.

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Re: Inertia Bullet Puller?
Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
I have the RCBS inertia puller and it has worked good with 38-55 and 40-65 cases.

I did notice that wacking it on the work bench wasn't productive and resorted to hitting the concrete floor which worked much better.

Some tight fitting slugs took several good strikes to dislodge the bullet, but they came out.

Collet pullers are good for jacketed bullets or possibly lead ones not to be reused, but to save the slugs, the only puller I found to work was the inertia style.

Mike.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
When I have needed to download ammo in the past I sit on the floor. I have about 6 inches of small gauge rail road track that I fly-cut to use as a bench anvil. I stick the anvil with the inertia puller and mostly it is a one-strike operation. I collect the bullets and powder in a big bowl and separate them one I am finished.

I just need a puller with a bigger collet for the 50 calibers.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Nov 22nd, 2023 at 3:26pm:
I'd give up and buy a collet-type puller for your press.  

(I threw out my RCBS hammer nigh on 20 years ago.)

they work fine,you should have been patient and learned  how to use it😀.Using RCBS shelholders instead of the silly collets is the secret. They fit perfectly.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
For pulling lead bullets I run the case in a shell holder up through the press with no die in it. I grab the bullet snuggly with wire stripping pliers just above the brass and lower lower the case until the pliers are flush with the top of the press and then lower more until the bullet is plucked out.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Nov 22nd, 2023 at 7:49pm:
For pulling lead bullets I run the case in a shell holder up through the press with no die in it. I grab the bullet snuggly with wire stripping pliers just above the brass and lower lower the case until the pliers are flush with the top of the press and then lower more until the bullet is plucked out.

yup I do that as well.

IP Logged

JKR
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2023 at 6:53am
Print Post  
Cbashooter wrote on Nov 22nd, 2023 at 7:59pm:
oneatatime wrote on Nov 22nd, 2023 at 7:49pm:

yup I do that as well.

That’s how I do it too. I don’t worry about the bullet. It goes in the asking pot. Easier to pull the bullet than it is to get put the compressed powder charge. 
JKR

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2023 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Same here cartridge in the loading press no die, grab it with pliers lower the Ram. Ruins the bullet but, who wants to use pulled bullets anyway 

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2023 at 11:22am
Print Post  
I had a whole set of RCBS collet pullers, along with every collet for any size bullet. They are too slow, and damage every bullet pulled beyond use again. I sold the whole bunch at a local gun show for $30.
I use the RCBS inertia puller and use a shell holder to hold shells like my .50 calibers that wont fit the goofy rim holder in the RCBS.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2023 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Nov 23rd, 2023 at 11:22am:
I had a whole set of RCBS collet pullers, along with every collet for any size bullet. They are too slow, and damage every bullet pulled beyond use again. I sold the whole bunch at a local gun show for $30.
I use the RCBS inertia puller and use a shell holder to hold shells like my .50 calibers that wont fit the goofy rim holder in the RCBS.

I will have to give that a try!

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2023 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Nov 23rd, 2023 at 11:22am:

Is my experience as  well They are just silly and I don't know why people buy them.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 23rd, 2023 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
My Lyman inertia puller has been going strong since my Hornady bit the dust.  It came in handy when I was practicing for the Spokane ISSA match this year where I was using fixed ammo in my 30 Wesson.  It turned out that I had forgotten one step.  Putting in the powder!  I was able to salvage the bullets but used them for practice only.

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Nov 23rd, 2023 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
I had to go give it a try and the shellholder trick works better than that stupid 3-piece collet!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint