Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Odd bullet mold and maybe breech seat for 270 REN? (Read 548 times)
ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Odd bullet mold and maybe breech seat for 270 REN?
Nov 22nd, 2023 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Sorting the molds I got from a recent estate buy.  Ran into an odd mold, a Lyman 280473.  It has a very unusual rebated heel.  Should cast 125 grain bullet.

I've always had some fascination with the 270 REN.  I believe I have one in my gun safe on a Falling Block Works action.  I'd have to check the barrel twist on it.  But, I also have a 10 twist barrel in my shop, and I have the 270 REN reamer.   

I'm thinking about trying this bullet as is without the gas check in the 270 REN.  The rebated base should go into the case much like a heeled bullet.  Breech seated, the REN case should hold enough powder for the 125 grain bullet.

Okay, pick apart this idea.  Crazy?  Stupid?  Worth an experiment?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Odd bullet mold and maybe breech seat for 270 REN?
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 1:38am
Print Post  
I have a 10" 270 REN Contender and its a neat set up.it would be fun in a breech seat single shot.
I had Accurate cut me a little 90g FP i designed that does pretty well.Ive never played with the heavier bullets.

I say do it!

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 5:56am
Print Post  
I would love to see you experiment with it. Are you thinking breechseat with the heel of the bullet inserted in to the case using the case as the seater? I ask because this is one of (3) options I will explore when chambering a 35/30 Maynard this winter.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2023 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Long ago I had a Contender 10" barrel chambered in the 270 Ren
The only bullet I ever used in it was the Lyman 280412 a round nose gas checked bullet at about 140 grain.
It worked so well that I never bothered looking for another bullet for that barrel.
It left my possession long ago and I have always regretted it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint