Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Shorten expanding plug? (Read 1178 times)
SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Shorten expanding plug?
Nov 13th, 2023 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
I had a guy come over to load some 45-70 and I left him alone while he was expanding/belling 100 cases (2 blocks). After we charged all of the cases I discovered he had not done one of the blocks. I tried to expand them with the charge but it would have compressed/crushed the charge so I dumped them.

I am wondering why I can't shorten the expanding plug in case something like this should happen in the future.

Thoughts?

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

WVsmoke
Participating Member

Re: Shorten expanding plug?
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2023 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
SchwartzStock,
       Does the expander plug have a long enough threaded section to back the expander plug off in order to shorten its effect?

Allan

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2023 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Expanding plug?   Use a bullet that will fit the neck of the fired case, and don't wear out the brass by sizing/expanding it all the time.
CHRIS

IP Logged

WVsmoke
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2023 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Now Chris,
      We all know your brass has been fired a hundred times, but we all have to load new brass occasionally and an expander plug comes in handy……

Allan

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2023 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Turn the die out a bit?

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2023 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
I believe he's talking about the cylindrical section length hitting the powder before the flaring section can do its job.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2023 at 11:31pm by Cbashooter »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2023 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
He's talking about running the expander into a case that's already got a powder charge in it.   

No-go AFAIAC.  He did the right thing and dumped 'em.  

Expander plugs must have a long enough guide section to keep the case straight before the expansion starts.  Otherwise the case will cock off line and the expansion will be asymmetric.      Bought a set of C4HD 28-30 dies that did this. Wound up making a complete separate die with an expander almost 2 inches long.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2023 at 12:03am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 1:33am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Nov 13th, 2023 at 11:42pm:
He's talking about running the expander into a case that's already got a powder charge in it.   

^^^^^^uh....isn't that what I said 😀

I too make expanders for specific diameters and lengths when I need them that I  use in  the Lee "un-universal " expander die body. 
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2023 at 1:38am by Cbashooter »  

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Yes, that is what he said but, duh, I skipped over the part about the powder being in there. I bell the neck before I load the powder. I actually keep the cases upside down in the block until I bell the neck.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Most dies use a 9/16" fine threaded plug, so it's easy to make an expender from a hardware store bolt and just thread it into the body when needed. I buy them at my local Ace hardware store and get one with some smooth shank and cut heads off. 
You can turn them down in a lathe, but before I had a lathe I shaped them down using my drill press and a file to get the end shaped, and diameter I wanted.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
I’ve been in that situation too.  I keep saying I need to make a short belling plug, but the impulse hasn’t lasted longer than the “emergency” situation.

I have a couple of little hammers I’ve found at swap meets, yard sales and resale stores.  One of them is a little ball peen hammer, the “peen” end being just large enough to sit on the mouth of a .45-70 case.  I hold this on the case mouth and give it a tap on the hammer face with another small hammer.  This bells the shell mouth enough to seat a bullet without shaving it, after a little practice.

Then I turn the expanding plug in the expander die in a partial turn and forget the problem until and unless it recurs.

A 1/2” ball bearing ought to do the job as well.  Getting the “tap” just right to bell the mouth without grossly expanding it doesn’t take long.

If you’re traditional minded, the conical end on the loading/crimping chamber on an Ideal tong tool can expand the case mouth, if you can find the right size.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
The Hornady expander die only expands the mouth of the case.
I found with Lyman, RCBS and Redding dies the expander plug could be adjusted to the length of the bullet in the case, and doubled up as a compression die..

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Ranch13 wrote on Nov 14th, 2023 at 1:43pm:
The Hornady expander die only expands the mouth of the case.
I found with Lyman, RCBS and Redding dies the expander plug could be adjusted to the length of the bullet in the case, and doubled up as a compression die..

I use my Lyman M dies as a compression die also. It works great.
I have probably a dozen die bodies from various makers that I got for a buck or so each, and I use those to hold a homemade expander or cut the expanders square for compressing BP.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
I'd dump the powder, probably. I think, if the expander is an M-style, and it's opening the mouth a fair bit, then the modded expander might crash into the case mouth too easily, or if a new bevel is put on it, the bullet base does the expanding? If it's a Lee and simply for flaring the case mouth, it shouldn't be any big deal, until the next time it's needed for a smaller diameter. Good teaching moment for your friend.

IP Logged

asblee77

Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
If your just looking to bell the case Lee sells a universal case flaring tool. That's what I use to flair all my cases ever so slightly as I almost never resize.

Lee Precision 90798, Universal Neck Expanding Die, 25 to .45 Caliber

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint