Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic hunting in kansas (Read 313 times)
Kansas Highwall
Participating Member

hunting in kansas
Nov 9th, 2023 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
I started off with a Ruger #1 in 6mm Remington for white tail deer and a Remington 722 hunting coyotes at dawn as they returned to their dens but soon discovered the 22 Mag was just as effective at the same range and much cheaper to shoot.
The 22 Mag was perfect for prairie dogs too. However I was so impressed with the .222 Remington's accuracy.
Jack rabbits are an over abundince in Kansas but anything from .22 LR to 22 hornet eliminates them easily. 

IP Logged

Timetripper

Re: hunting in kansas
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2023 at 9:05am
Print Post  
My father bought a 722 in 222 Rem way back in the early 1960s, brand new. I remember him taking it out of the box when he brought it home from the store. My younger brother has it now. That rifle is still incredibly accurate 60 years later. It out shoots my Sako Riihimaki, which will do under an inch at 100 yards. The 722 will cloverleaf.
The stamped metal parts and plain Jane stock must be it's secret for such accuracy.  Wink
If the price of primers wasn't so high, the cost of reloading 222 Remington would be more competitive with buying 22 Mags.

John

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2023 at 10:42am
Print Post  
My go to for varmint hunting has been a rifle in .22-250 for more decades than I can recall now? Up close, 100 yds. or less for small varmints I use a Ballard .22LR with an old JW Fecker 12x scope. But once it's past 100 yds., or larger coyotes the .22-250 gets the nod.
I did buy another varmint rifle in the form of a CZ American in .17HMR about a dozen years ago, with plans for it to do duty after 100 yds., and save the .22-250 for 200 yds. and further. But the .17HMR is pretty much maxed out in calm weather at around 160 yds. so doesn't do a lot more after I stop using the .22LR. It hasn't seen much use because of this, and what use it sees starts sooner at around 75 yds just to use it more.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2023 at 10:48am
Print Post  
For everyday use the .223 Remington is hard to beat when you look at the cost of ammo and if you run a Remington 700 action there are numerous pull off barrels to also lower the expense of barrel replacement.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint