Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Reloaded Black Powder Cartridge Storage (Read 1145 times)
Retreever

Reloaded Black Powder Cartridge Storage
Nov 7th, 2023 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
About a year ago I bought a "Falling Block Works" rifle barreled in 45-120. I was able to test fire using Trail Boss (30g) shortly after I got it but then my cancer returned I have been in poor health all of this year and just starting to recover.

My plan is to load cartridges over the winter for load testing in the spring.

This is the first time I would be storing loaded BP cartridges for any length of time and I was wondering if there are risks or potential problems in doing this?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, Retreever

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Reloaded Black Powder Cartridge Storage
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2023 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Depending on the lube you use, you might get some corrosion on the brass where the lube touches it if it sits for a long time.   I've had that happen when I made my own lube, but not since switching to DGL.

I've shot lots of ammo that's a year old, and some older.  Generally left over ammo from matches, and it's always shot just as well as when freshly made.

If you are worried about it, prep the cases, and load the primers and powder with a wad on top.   Then just before going to the range, compress the charge if desired, and seat the bullets.  The powder and primers will last longer than we will, with no degradation.

I hope that's useful to you.

Chris.

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2023 at 9:35am
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Nov 7th, 2023 at 6:11pm:
Depending on the lube you use, you might get some corrosion on the brass where the lube touches it if it sits for a long time.   I've had that happen when I made my own lube, but not since switching to DGL.

I've shot lots of ammo that's a year old, and some older.  Generally left over ammo from matches, and it's always shot just as well as when freshly made.

If you are worried about it, prep the cases, and load the primers and powder with a wad on top.   Then just before going to the range, compress the charge if desired, and seat the bullets.  The powder and primers will last longer than we will, with no degradation.

I hope that's useful to you.

Chris.

Thanks GL much appreciated. Your suggestion about seating the bullets later seems a good idea.

Retreever

IP Logged

Redrighthand

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2023 at 10:00am
Print Post  
I have had no problems with storing loaded BP ammunition. No corrosion, no failure to fire. I use a combo of SPG and DGL for lube.

Mike Brooks
IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2023 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
I've stored black powder cartridges for over a year with no problems in use.  The paper-patch loads undergo no change.  The grease-groove loads sometimes have a faint greenish tinge to the lube, but this is not accompanied by evidence of serious corrosion in the brass; after firing and cleaning, it's fine for further reloading.  The lube sometimes dries out a little, but the function of softening fouling and eliminating leading never seems to be impaired.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2023 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
I have shot five year old Swiss BP cases lubed with Alberta Schuetzen Lube without corrosion occurring or any affect to accuracy of the loads.

They were stored inside in my basement.

I know that loaded rounds stored outside can have the brass become brittle and crack on firing. 
Over extended periods of extreme winter and summer temperature changes the brass becomes brittle.
A fellow provided me loaded cases that had been stored more than 10 years this way in his unheated garage.
1 out of every 5 ruptured when fired.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2023 at 5:17pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Griff093
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2023 at 10:52am
Print Post  
I have both had BP cartridges and shotshells loaded for several years with no ill effects.  Shotshells are generally stored in their original cartons and in an ammo can.  Metallic cartridges, both rifle and pistol rounds are generally stored in MTM plastic boxes with the bullet down.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2023 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
The longest I have stored loaded BP cartridges is about 18 months, not by choice, but no problems....

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2023 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Back in the '60s, I was buying original 43 Spanish for my rolling block at Poyomic Arms for $5.00/100.  That ammo had to have been at least 50 years old.   Still worked very well with only about 5% misfires.  When dismantled, the powder was "cakd" and had to be dug out.  Lube looked like maybe beeswax or something similiar.

George

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2023 at 10:38am
Print Post  
What happens to BP when it's in a sealed cartridge for years? Has anyone pulled bullets and seen something that made them think it went bad at a set period of time?
I've also fired BP cartridges I knew were many decades old and not had any issues I could tell. I didn't chronograph them as I was trying to just use them up to get cases to reload with. But they seemed to shoot fine, and groups weren't erratic.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2023 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Worked in a gun shop in college. One of the jobs was cleaning up old ML shotguns for wall hangers.
Many of them were still loaded. Black powder never failed to ignite after it was pulled.
One was loaded with about a tablespoon of smokeless stick powder. Thankfully, did not fire. 
Chuck

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint