Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Shooters World powders same as Accurate powders? (Read 1305 times)
KaiserKong

Shooters World powders same as Accurate powders?
Oct 13th, 2023 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Hi all,
I went down a rabbit hole today and thought this might be of interest to some of you.  When buying powder, I recently learned of Shooters World powder. I wasn't familiar with it so I started doing some research on their product line. Their website is: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I noticed that in their manual for many of their powders they often mention its similar to the Accurate line of powders. For example their Heavy Pistol Powder is similar to Accurate No #9 and their Buffalo Rifle Powder is similar to Accurate 5744. Also in their manual when listing burn rates, they show these powders having the same burn rate as their respective Accurate lines. In Europe Shooters World mentions this same powder is disturbed by LOVEX. In reading through the LOVEX manual it mentions the powder is manufactured by Explosia in Czech Republic. From what I've found online, before Western Powder bought Accurate in 2005 all the Accurate powders were made by Explosia. After Western bought them, they contracted with a Belgian company to produce the powders.  From what I understand with Hodgdon's purchase of Western in 2020 the Accurate line powder is still made in Belgium. 

Back to Shooters World - it seems like they are basically selling the old Accurate line of powders (as made by Explosia) but just have re-named it.  I also notice on Shooter's World website they have a data file which includes their powders for the QUICKLOAD software. If you compare the data file which contains the energy content as well as the burning rate coefficients that the values are identical for the similar powders (e.g. Shooter World Heavy Pistol to Accurate No. 9). So that seems to further support that the chemical composition of these 'new' powders hasn't changed from the original Accurate line. 

Anyway, the Shooter World powder appears to be a bit cheaper than the Accurate (Hodgdon) line, so if you're mostly using Accurate powders and looking to save some money then Shooter World may be an alternate. I haven't personally tried any yet, but I think I'm going buy a couple pounds and test it out soon. 

- Dave B.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Shooters World powders same as Accurate powders?
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2023 at 7:57am
Print Post  
My friend bought a keg of their Buffalo Rifle powder and has been using it in his 40-65.  It shot very well to 600 yards at our gong match last weekend.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2023 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Lots of info on their website, but didn't see any pricing or a way to order powders?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2023 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
midsouth but appears alot is out of stock

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2023 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
I found it at Natchez, and they're having a free hazmat sale currently. But I don't see any real bargain prices. They want $352 for an 8 lb. jug of Buffalo, and with shipping running around $25 that's a few dollars more than an 8 lb. jug of IMR4198 I buy from Powder Valley. So I wont be changing powder anytime soon.
Powder Valley shows their last price to be $322 for 8 lbs., but they're out of stock.

IP Logged

Oldbee

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2023 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
I heard about Buffalo over 2 years ago.  Have yet to find any in stock at local dealers or on line dealers!

Seabee's, Danang, Chu Lai, Khe Sanh, 1966 -1968

IP Logged

KaiserKong

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2023 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Here are the dealer price lists from Grafs for 1 pound. (If you have a C&R FFL you can get the dealer discount). Overall the Shooters World is lower for the 'similar' powder. But true, most of these are out of stock. 

Sparta 100      N/A      Nitro100         $29.39
Clean Shot      $24.99      No 2            $27.99
Auto Pistol      $24.99      No 5            $29.19
Major Pistol      $23.99      No 7             $29.19
Heavy Pistol      $23.99      No 9             $29.19
Buffalo Rifle      $36.99      5744      $45.99
Blackout            $23.99      1680      $30.99
AR-Plus            $23.99      2230      $30.99
Match Rifle      $23.99      2520      $30.99
SW4350            $39.99      4350      $34.99

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2023 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
I can't afford to buy one pound cans of powder with the hazmat fee! Only spreading the fee over 8-25 lbs. will make sense, since they charge the same fee for one pound as they charge for 25 lbs.

IP Logged

KaiserKong

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2023 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
I agree, I would buy at least 6 pounds of powder (one pound of different types or maybe an 8 lb keg). I was only illustrating that the Shooter World powder is generally less expensive than the more well known Accurate brand. If I did the same comparison at Grafs for 8 lb it would show the same result.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2023 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Buffalo Rifle is tops in my 50-90.I liked it better when it was a "cheap" brand of powder though.

IP Logged

406shooter
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Oct 16th, 2023 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
I just recently purchased 3 lbs. of A5744 and it is made in Canada. 
The Hodgon tech told me that it is superb in any of the old black powder cartridges. I tried it in 45 colt with excellent results. I'll be trying it in 30WCF soon.

Around Dodge City and the territories out west, there's only one way to deal with the killers and the spoilers, and that's with a U.S. Marshall and the smell of...Gunsmoke.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 16th, 2023 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
I just bought a case of 5000 209 shotgun primers from Natchez. Was down to 1600 primers. Waited until I received their notice “free hazmat charge” it’s not free shipping just no hazmat surcharge.

You have to jump quick when the deal comes up it was only available 2 days & sold out mostly brands first day. Still it’s 8 cents a primer. Primer powder wad and shot shells  cost about 35 cents to load.

Best deal lately, at a pistol match friend asked me if I used 4227 gave  me a unopened jug, two weeks  later gave me another. Would not let me pay anything. Best I could do is give him one of my wife’s homemade Apple Pies.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint