Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Reforming cases the easy way (Read 2045 times)
condorsc

NRA Life/Benefactor, ASSRA,
SCV Life

Reforming cases the easy way
Oct 8th, 2023 at 2:44am
Print Post  
I hope I'm not bringing coals to Newcastle, I haven't seen this discussed before. Faced with $285 for a reforming kit or almost $3 ea. for 8X58RD cases, I came up with this: I am reforming  45-90 cases into 8X58RD cases. This method of course can be used on many other combinations. Start with a good-sized vise with a relatively hefty adjusting handle (To me this means it's intended for serious work). With a short cheater bar ( The short part of a floor jack handle will work), a good vise will easily do ANY case forming. Case forming is wearing on a vise, so take an older vise apart and check condition of the threads on the nut and adjusting bar and grease them. NEVER use case lube forming cases. It's a guaranteed defect maker. I turn out (usually) perfect cases in one pass. Remove the decapping stem from a FL resizing die and clean all lube out. Insert the case in the die, tap to get it started, and place in the vise jaws. Rotate the handle, using the cheater bar when needed. You now must develop a way to determine proper headspace. On my cases, there is a tiny cannelure just ahead of the rim. When the die edge comes to it, the case is right. You must develop some simple way to do this on yours. Get a large hex nut that will pass your cases and a caliber specific rod the right length. Assemble with your case and your vise to eject the formed case gently. This will gently eject even balloon head cases. I anneal AFTER forming, to avoid doing it twice. Trim, inspect, and you're done. And, that's it. Simplicity itself. In the words of the old commercial, "Try it, you'll like it"!
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2023 at 2:32pm by condorsc »  

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Re: Reforming cases the easy way
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 10:28am
Print Post  
use a press a vise is not a press. This is a sure way to ruin the vise. I have a 4.5"Wilton Machinist vise that a friend asked me to fix I took it a part the nut is stripped the screw is not nice. Wilton no longer offers parts for these nice older vises.   Cry I took the parts to show him and asked him what thay where doing he showed me a bushing that they were pressing into a housing ken

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 10:50am
Print Post  
I suspect this thread will be transferred to the reloading forum (unless it's showing in the Classifieds due to a quirk in the server or my laptop - threads have been disappearing from the Index a lot of late). In the meantime I'll second the use of a big honking arbor press for such work over a bench vise. I have a 5-ton arbor press (in addition to several small ones) that does a herculean job, especially with the help of a three foot cheater pipe.

Endeavors in the nature of reforming brass to something larger will have me exploring further the use of water hydraulics. I have such a die, made by Hornady, that uses water and a lead hammer-driven piston to "fireform" .22 Hornet brass to K-Hornet configuration. Very efficient, but admittedly messy (best use it outside), and the result is perfectly formed brass with zero losses from fireforming in the chamber.

IP Logged

steveu

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
I have used 8x56 cases for 8x58rd and they work fine for me.

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
A machinist friend made a hundred cases from 45-90 for me several years ago for my Jorgensen-Krag.
I think half the european cartridges are makeable from this one or the 50-90.

Rich

IP Logged

Poorhouse

NRA Life, ASSRA Life

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
I would much prefer to invest in a replaceable Chinesium arbor press than to subject my 40 year old 6" Wilton vise to this process.  I have given away all my big old honking USA bench vises......

IP Logged

Redrighthand

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
I gave up all my vices. Although sometimes I fall back to my old ways. Wink

There are some days when it seems a big fat cigar would be just the ticket. Cheesy

Mike Brooks
IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Trim .45-90 cases to 2.274"

Anneal neck.
Failing to do so can put cracks in the brittle brass that may not show until you fire them.

Wipe neck with Imperial sizing wax with your finger tip.
It will not wrinkle or dimple your cases like other sizing lubes.

I first use a .40-65  FL sizing die to first narrow the neck so it can fit into a 8x58R die.

Form by pressing down with your 8x58 R FL sizing die in your reloading press.

Press up and down in short strokes, do not try to push down in a single stroke.

Retrim to 2.274" case length.

Quick and easy.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2023 at 10:29pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
I'd borrowed the reamer from Wilson's in Cashmere Wa. and  I built up a 220 Wilson Arrow 30 years ago in my Ruger #1 .All I had was their FL pound type  die and I used a nice vice to form cases.it worked well for me until I found an RCBS FL die.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 1:59am
Print Post  
100+ years ago reloaders depending on the old Ideal tong tools used a loose die for F.L. sizing, and often did it with a big vise in lieu of a hammer because that's what they had on the farm.   

Two fundamental rules in machine tool design 101 are to keep the feed force vector as close as possible to the resistance vector, and at the same time make the aspect ratio of the guideways as large as possible.  A vise fails badly in both respects.  In addition the vise's screw is not intended to provide high force over a range of several turns.  That's what wears out the screw and the nut.   

It may work, but don't keep it up.   

_

<div class=

IP Logged

condorsc

SCV Life

Reply #10 - Oct 10th, 2023 at 1:20am
Print Post  
My purpose in this thread was to enable ordinary shooters to better enjoy their still affordable RBs or even get into serious competition with rifles chambered in expensive or unobtainable calibers (8X58RD, 11mm, .43 Spanish, .43 Egyptian). It works for any round you can obtain a FL sizing die for, especially all those No. 5s with shootable bores. I use a 20-year old Grand Rapids 5" bench vise with excellent leverage. It was $75 on Ebay, and $75 shipping. I inspected and regreased all threads. I can manually turn the vise handle to within the last 3-4 turns before needing a cheater bar, so I don't think any appreciable wear. Recently I formed 80 Jamison 45-90 new cases into 8X58RD cases. These were $1 each. The only commercially available cases are $2.85 each (when available), and sometimes  start splitting after a couple firings. I have 100 Starline coming, also $1 each. Doing those will save me a total of $333. That will finance a lot of shooting. And even some travel. Our shooter can now enjoy many obsolete calibers. All he needs is a FL die and a neck sizer. Remember, he isn't supplying Gretna, he only needs a relatively few cases for himself. Seems to me this enables shooters to widen their enjoyment of our sport. Maybe even become or stay members.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2023 at 4:42pm by condorsc »  

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Oct 10th, 2023 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
steveu wrote on Oct 8th, 2023 at 4:45pm:
I have used 8x56 cases for 8x58rd and they work fine for me.

Same here, no vise required.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 10th, 2023 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Arbor press is the thing to use. Small hobby size presses used are in demand by leather workers etc. Real big ones less so due to bulk and weight. 

I found one 75 miles away that kept coming  down in price due lack of interest, Greenard # 3 1/2 ratchet. Told him it was too big for me.  Kept after me & finally offered it for scrap value. 100 bucks. Big job rolling it into my utility trailer , 

Home by myself, had to rent a engine lift & get it out set up for cleaning & painting. Then rent the lift again to move into the shop and positioned. Needed a stand, buddy welded one up for me. Finished with the stand it weighs nearly 500 lbs, this from old catalog & calculation on the stand weight.

It’s very useful will form many items. Example load 10 G black powder shotguns on it. Form Rifle and pistol brass too. And it’s intended use bearing replacement. Recently  Re bushed & refurbished heavy steering gear for a pair of twin screw 41 foot work boats . Press set the new bushings.

FYI the chuck does not turn, holds punches etc centered for straight pressing. Quick to remove. Added a return spring too, useful volume repeat punching- sizing.

Every shop needs one

Boats 

Boats

IP Logged

condorsc

SCV Life

Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2023 at 1:38am
Print Post  
COTW's 2019 Edition completely eliminated mention of the 8X58RD, and the Manual of Cartridge Conversions doesn't mention it either. It's as if it never existed. This August publication gives the shooter the complete procedure for joining two tubes to make cases, soldering belts on a case, (REALLY?) turning solid brass into cases, super-gluing plastic rings onto case heads to increase thickness (again ,REALLY?), but nary a specific instruction on how to actually form one case from another. What a laugh.

IP Logged

condorsc

SCV Life

Reply #14 - Oct 16th, 2023 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Oct 10th, 2023 at 8:56pm:
Arbor press is the thing to use. Small hobby size presses used are in demand by leather workers etc. Real big ones less so due to bulk and weight. 

I found one 75 miles away that kept coming  down in price due lack of interest, Greenard # 3 1/2 ratchet. Told him it was too big for me.  Kept after me & finally offered it for scrap value. 100 bucks. Big job rolling it into my utility trailer , 

Home by myself, had to rent a engine lift & get it out set up for cleaning & painting. Then rent the lift again to move into the shop and positioned. Needed a stand, buddy welded one up for me. Finished with the stand it weighs nearly 500 lbs, this from old catalog & calculation on the stand weight.

It’s very useful will form many items. Example load 10 G black powder shotguns on it. Form Rifle and pistol brass too. And it’s intended use bearing replacement. Recently  Re bushed & refurbished heavy steering gear for a pair of twin screw 41 foot work boats . Press set the new bushings.

FYI the chuck does not turn, holds punches etc centered for straight pressing. Quick to remove. Added a return spring too, useful volume repeat punching- sizing.

Every shop needs one

Boats 

Boats

Beautiful, but...."every shop needs one"? Do you mind if I come by and do a few 8X58s on that beauty? One of the jaws fell off my vise. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint