Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Black powder volume to weight? (Read 3289 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Black powder volume to weight?
Reply #45 - Oct 11th, 2023 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Vall, that is the guy.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #46 - Oct 11th, 2023 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Oct 11th, 2023 at 12:54pm:
Vall, that is the guy.

Thanks! I'll possibly contact him if all else fails.

I just got off the phone with my gunsmith friend who I use for whatever I can't do. He thinks the tig repair is likely the best/easiest option and is willing to give it a go.
I discussed modifying the breech block cut for the extractor as it has a sharp external 90 degree where the transfer bar has a sharp internal 90 to match. I asked if he might round off the 90 in the block recess so when the bar is tig welded back on it would allow him to make a radiused internal corner to add strength. He liked the idea, and said he could likely do so once he sees it again. He worked on this rifle when I first got it, as it wasn't D&T for a tang sight, and he had the carbide drill and taps to do the holes for a tang sight. 
So hopefully once the new transfer bar arrives we can figure which option is the best route to fixing this.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #47 - Oct 17th, 2023 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
A little update to the Freund transfer bar repair!
Today I received a package from Dixie Gun Works with a transfer bar for their Dixie 1874 Sharps in it. Theirs is an unknown Italian rifle, but pictures looked similar to my broken transfer bar. 
The first test fit is very promising as the transfer bar slid right into the milled recess in my breech block! It is of course not exactly the same as it's thicker on the bar that strikes the firing pin, and shaped a bit thicker on the part the hammer strikes also. But it appears to be a very workable piece that even a caveman like myself could work down with hand tools if I had to!

Called my gunsmith friend to tell him the good news, and once he gets back from his fall elk hunt we'll get together and see what he thinks of reworking this new transfer bar!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint