Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Black powder volume to weight? (Read 3261 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Black powder volume to weight?
Oct 6th, 2023 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
I'm fairly new to loading BP, with only about 18 months so far, and only for one rifle, my .45-70 Hepburn.
I recently began reloading for my Freund Sharps in .50-140 using Swiss 1.5fg powder. My question is concerning the weighed charges for my full loads. Leaving enough space to seat my wad, and a 500 gr. paper patched bullet, with maybe .060" compression, and using a 24" drop tube, all I get in my case with Swiss 1.5 is 120 grains. That's about 15% less than the rated capacity of 140 grs.
I know modern cases hold less with their solid head, and there are variables in powders. But on my .45-70 using the same method, powder, and compression, I get 64 grs. with a 535 gr. bullet.
Just would appreciate some input on what seems like a large difference in rated volume vs. weighed volume for this cartridge.

And another question. Has anyone ever heard of Eldorado cartridge brass? Most of my cases are headstamped "Eldorado .50 Sharps".
Other cases are marked Bell, and Jamison, which I'm familiar with. A 4th lot is marked Brass Extrusion Laboratories in Bensenville, Illinois, another unknown to me? Those cases are unstamped, but the info is on the boxes. Only info I could find on this company shows it was incorporated in 1974, and James Bell listed as the contact person. Is this maybe the same Bell of Bell brass? Also shows this company is dissolved.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Re: Black powder volume to weight?
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2023 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
The Bell brass is the same as the Brass Extrusion, James is the son of Jim Bell of Bells Gunshop in Highland Park, Ill. Good folks and good brass.

Question: what is the seating depth of your bullets, most just barely seat the patched bullet in the case so that the bullet is in the riflings for better alignment and properly obutrated(sp) at firing.

Drop Beltfed Arnie a message, he has plenty of experience with black powder and is willing to share his  considerable knowledge. Good luck.
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2023 at 5:20pm by Premod70 »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2023 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Premod70 wrote on Oct 6th, 2023 at 5:12pm:
The Bell brass is the same as the Brass Extrusion, James is the son of Jim Bell of Bells Gunshop in Highland Park, Ill. Good folks and good brass.

Question: what is the seating depth of your bullets, most just barely seat the patched bullet in the case so that the bullet is in the riflings for better alignment and properly obutrated(sp) at firing.

Drop Beltfed Arnie a message, he has plenty of experience with black powder and is willing to share his  considerable knowledge. Good luck.

Thanks. 
That would be nice to seat bullets way out, but my chamber wont accept bullets seated way out like that. I'd need a different bullet as mine require 1/2" deep seating in the case, or I can't close the action. And even at this depth the Freund camming breech block has to push the ogive into the rifling. I've always seated bullets to just touch the rifling, as anything more requires a seating tool, which ends up pushing them back anyway. And with my Swiss 1.5fg I don't like to compress anymore than I am.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2023 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
I think you’ll find you’re going about the paper patching process the hard and no so accurate way when compared to the dual diameter bore rider approach. Obturation is your friend when using black powder and the further the bullet is in the bore the better it shoots. Beltfed Arnie uses this method and explains it much better than my abilities. A study of Shiloh Sharps forum will also get you on the right path as well as a visit to a local BPCR match.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2023 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Premod70 wrote on Oct 6th, 2023 at 6:55pm:
I think you’ll find you’re going about the paper patching process the hard and no so accurate way when compared to the dual diameter bore rider approach. Obturation is your friend when using black powder and the further the bullet is in the bore the better it shoots. Beltfed Arnie uses this method and explains it much better than my abilities. A study of Shiloh Sharps forum will also get you on the right path as well as a visit to a local BPCR match.

I'm not planning to pursue paper patching yet. The paper patched bullets I'm using are all from the loads I'm pulling apart. Those loads were pretty hot IMR4198 loads, with paper patched bullets. I figured I'd shoot them up, rather than melt them down to make more grease groove bullets. Once these bullets are used up, I'll use my stepped grease groove 500 grain bullets. Doubt they'll be fully into the bore either, but more so than what I have now.
But we're really getting off track of the question I had, so I'd like to get some input on the weight to volume question, and not load or bullet data now. 

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2023 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Ok, this is just my opinion and most can be proven wrong in certain circles. The number 50-90 is attached to a 2 1/2 case length but is also referred to as a 50-90, 50-100, and 50-110, all on the same length cartridge case. The difference in the loads is the bullet weight which also relayed to a different seating depth of the bullet’s base; the lighter the bullet the less length there is and also the a longer powder column relating to a larger charge of powder; all are no air space charges. 

Loading a charge involves first establishing the bullet seating depth which also sets the compression height at the same time when the wads are also in the measurements. Once the compression height is known it is from there the amount of powder is placed in the case and the volume/weight is determined. Adding more powder from the initial charge requires more compression limited by the amount of case expansion due to the forces on the case walls. 

The number assigned to the case back in the day means nothing to loading a modern case or for that matter a load back in the day. Just a best estimate at best. Today top shooters load charges to the half grain, maybe less, so the number is whatever your rifle likes. 

All said, black powder is too easy to load in cartridges and most of us try using smokeless powder methods and knowledge which only confuse the process.

IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2023 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
I get 100gr of 1fg schuetzen in my 50-90 Sharps. 30" drop tube a .060 fiber wad .250 compression and a 695gr creedmoor bullet seated to touch the lands. This is with Starline brass.

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 12:43am
Print Post  
From what I've read the .50-140 3.25" was loaded with either 678 gr. bullets, or as more of an "express" load with a 500 gr. bullet. 
That's what makes me wonder why a load of 1.5fg powder is so much lighter than the "140 gr." the case is represented as. I don't compress much at all with my .45-70 and I can easily get 68 grs. with modern brass and a 535 gr. bullet. I don't often load them that heavy as over a match length the recoil isn't really comfortable in my 10.5 lb. rifle.
I'm not looking for more powder in my .50-140 cases, as even my 15.25 lb. Sharps can get somewhat heavy recoil. Just was curious about the 20 gr. difference in the capacity. I may even consider dropping down to 1fg BP later, just to see if it makes any difference in recoil or accuracy.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 1:24am
Print Post  
marlinguy
The old cartridge designations such as 45-70 and 50-140, indicate the "factory" standard loading of black powder. The 70 and 140 designate grains BULK not weight like we use for smokeless powders. Bulk measure was used for volume only of black powder and had nothing to do with weight of powder charge. An example is 70 grains weight of FFFg is somewhat less volume than 70 grains weight of FFg. When measured by bulk (volume), 70 grains of FFFG and FFG are the same volume. Even different lots of black powder such as Swiss will give different volumes for 70 grains weight of of the same granulation.
If you look on page 224 of my book The Golden Age of the American Schuetzenfest you can read my explanation of the above, using the 45-70 Govt' cartridge as my example. As I recall, you were the first person to order that book from me when it came out several years ago  Wink

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 8:41am
Print Post  
The Swiss powder in the blue-label bottles was dense enough to get 80 gr of Fg into a fireformed .45-70 case by trickling through a droptube.  This left enough room for a 1/16” cork wad to be just short of flush with the case mouth, and then I’d compress the column ~1/8” below the mouth, seat a paper patched bullet and slightly reduce the mouth to hold the cartridge together.

When Olde Eynsford first came out, I couldn’t get 80 gr of Fg into the case, so I stuck with the Swiss.  But then Swiss came out with the pink-label bottles and the contents were less dense than the old blue-label Swiss.  80 gr 1 Fg would overflow a fired case, even when droptubed.

Recent purchases of Olde Eynsford 1-1/2Fg seem to be slightly more dense than earlier purchases, and, if anything are more dense than the current Swiss powder.  I’m currently scrambling to get a load with my remaining stock of OE that’s as good as the original Swiss.  I’m sure when (or if) Estes starts making OE again, there’ll be another density difference to cope with.

I don’t subscribe to this “Black by Volume” business.  It’s fine if the density is the same (or you’re “barking squirrels” at 30 yards with “Old Betsy”), but for BPCR at mid- to long ranges, that isn’t the case, if it ever was.  Energy is converted from mass, which is derived by weight.  It may be dispensed by volume, like gasoline, but people do notice a slight increase in “mpg” when they fill their tanks on a cold day vs. a hot one.  That’s because the fuel mileage comes from the weight burned.

Your paper patched bullets should push through the bore with a stout cleaning rod.  If not, somebody set up for “patch to groove” bullets, which have to be seated deep like grease-groove bullets.  If the previous owner was using smokeless powder, that would be the only way to make paper patch bullets work.  The dual-diameter bullets enable them to be barely seated into fired cases from grease-groove chambers without needing a squish in the mouth reducer die afterwards, with most of the bullet still projecting out into the bore, but they still need the particulates in the black powder deflagration to slug or rivet them fully up to groove diameter.

For someone new to BPCR, the .50-140 is certainly in the postgraduate area for learning the ins and outs of paper patching.  A friend quit using his at the Quigley, finally admitting it was never accurate enough. I recall his load was 138 gr of 1Fg Swiss with a 600-gr patched-to-bore bullet.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Volume vs weighed charges is something that has confused shooters for a long while. The introduction of pyrodex really buggered things up in some folks minds.
But a simple read in the 1875 Remington catalog will help clear things up where they illustrate better consistency with weighed charges than volume. They also dispell the modern myth about soft alloys being necessary when they explain that better accuracy is obtained with hard alloys.
The 1876 sharps catalog takes a couple of pages to explain the benefits of using an apothecary scale to weigh charges and provide charts to convert apothecaries to grains and drams.
The bullet alloy thing can be clarified somewhat by the Springfield manual on the 1873 45 cal rifle and 45 colts revolver when they call for the alloy to be 16-1.
Paper patching doesn’t have to be difficult to achieve accuracy , but that internet myth still persists.
In the example of your 50 the powder charge will be what ever the rifle and target agree on, just like it has been for over 150 years.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Marlinguy, not to run this thread off it’s track but once you come to terms with your best loads you will then have to figure out the best way to control the fouling and the 50-140 is a case study in itself. Without fouling control in your shooting process you will not find a good load. Good luck on your endeavors.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the help and advice guys! 
As much as I already had to learn about shooting BP in my .45-70's I'm sure the .50-140 will be much like starting over again for me. I was lucky to be able to get help from a excellent shooter when I first began my foray into BP for my .45-70, so it made that transition much faster, and easier than it might have been on my own. 
The .50-140 isn't a cartridge many shoot, so will be much more work to figure out a good load. I'm using bore pigs for my wiping to remove fouling between shots with my .45-70's so I'll continue down that road to start with on the big .50 too. 
I'm not sure I'll ever get a .50-140 to be accurate enough to be competitive at long range, but I would like to at least get it accurate enough to have fun with. If it wont, then I may end up putting a liner in it and make it another .45-70 or .45-90 barrel.
Need to go back and read Randy's book again, as I'm embarrassed that I'd forgotten he covered this there.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
1 f will be your friend in that 3 1/4 case. If you can handle the recoil and not get the flinches or jumping the trigger anticipating the recoil, it should be as accurate as any other rifle once the right load is found.
But the few that do/did shoot the 50-90 in competition have given up on it due to the punishing recoil, and having shot a 3 1/4 a bit, it's a one or 3 shot deal.... maybe good for hunting, but just to much of a good thing for competition.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Ranch13 wrote on Oct 7th, 2023 at 7:23pm:
1 f will be your friend in that 3 1/4 case. If you can handle the recoil and not get the flinches or jumping the trigger anticipating the recoil, it should be as accurate as any other rifle once the right load is found.
But the few that do/did shoot the 50-90 in competition have given up on it due to the punishing recoil, and having shot a 3 1/4 a bit, it's a one or 3 shot deal.... maybe good for hunting, but just to much of a good thing for competition.

You may well be correct Don. I'm hoping the 15.25 lb. weight helps a bit, as I've shot a friend's rifle that's 12 lbs. with the .50-3" and found it very tolerable. But I guess we'll see once I've worked up loads. 
My previous loads have been 105 grs. with the 500 gr. bullet, and filler, which were very comfortable. They were so mild in my heavy Sharps that I decided to load up 20 rds. of full charges, just to see if the recoil and accuracy was better. I will also give 1fg a try if it might also make for lighter recoil, and better accuracy. Thanks.
If they aren't at least hunting MOA acceptable, or too much recoil, then I'll decide if the Sharps gets fired less, or changed to a lighter cartridge.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint