Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Black powder volume to weight? (Read 3270 times)
Ranch13
Oldtimer

Re: Black powder volume to weight?
Reply #15 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Filler helps
But it can be detrimental to accuracy
110 grs of Cartridge with a 500 gr bullet is a very good and clean burning load on the 50-90

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 6:29am
Print Post  
If you are shooting PPB's with smokeless most people have good luck with groove diameter (wrapped) but they don't work so well with BP. The bullets you are trying to use are too big for BP. I don't shoot smokeless with PPB's but this is how I load with BP

My bullets for 45 caliber are 0.440 as cast, max 0.450 wrapped. Helps to rub a little lube on the paper before loading, assists getting the cartridge chambered.

Drop the charge into the case thru a 30"+ tube
Insert a card wad (milk carton)
Compress the charge as required
insert a lube cookie of 0.100 - 0.150" on top of the card
second card
disc of wax paper (helps insure the top card wad does not stick to the base of the bullet and falls off immediately out of the muzzle to ensure consistent bullet flight)
seat bullet about 0.150-0.200" into the case

Oh, almost forgot. Taper crimping is important, you will probably cut the paper if you use a roll crimp. If you don't crimp the bullets are easy to dislodge when handling the cartridges.

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Reply #17 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 8:29am
Print Post  
There is a noticeable difference in recoil between 1fg schuetzen and 1 1/2fg swiss in my 50-90.

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #18 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Ranch13 wrote on Oct 7th, 2023 at 9:44pm:
Filler helps
But it can be detrimental to accuracy
110 grs of Cartridge with a 500 gr bullet is a very good and clean burning load on the 50-90

That's been a problem with my first loads. They were very mild with 105 grs. of 1 1/2fg and filler, but very poor accuracy. Thus my reason to switch to full loads of to see how it does for accuracy.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #19 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 10:16am
Print Post  
rkaires wrote on Oct 8th, 2023 at 8:29am:
There is a noticeable difference in recoil between 1fg schuetzen and 1 1/2fg swiss in my 50-90. 

Thanks. I'll see if I can find a pound locally to try as I don't want to pay the hazmat fee for just a pound for trial purposes. I bought a case of the Swiss 1 1/2fg from BACO so II could spread the fee over 25 pounds.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 10:30am
Print Post  
You might just for kicks and grins try seating a bullet in an empty case. Then measure how far into the case the bottom of that bullet. Put enough powder in to come to the bottom of a .060 wad and then add enough to compress about .10. Recoil is definitely going to go up but you might find some accuracy. And you might also try some of the thick cork or felt wads to use as a filler. I'm pretty sure that using loose filler doesn't give an even push to the base of the bullet causing accuracy problems.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 8th, 2023 at 10:16am:
rkaires wrote on Oct 8th, 2023 at 8:29am:

Thanks. I'll see if I can find a pound locally to try as I don't want to pay the hazmat fee for just a pound for trial purposes. I bought a case of the Swiss 1 1/2fg from BACO so II could spread the fee over 25 pounds.

I would recommend against the Schuetzen, it is simply Wano rebranded for the US market. Most people here use it for cannons, not for anything they expect some accuracy from. In my experience, 1 1/2F and 2F are the best for big rifle cartridges, 1F is too course. For the smallest standard deviation (SD) I have also found standard large rifle primers are better then magnum.

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

steveu

Reply #22 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
With my 50-90 high wall I weigh Swiss 1fg and use cork wads to fill in the gap between the powder, which I compress .1”, to the base of the 525 gr bullet. 

Fwiw,
Steve

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #23 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Ranch13 wrote on Oct 8th, 2023 at 10:30am:
You might just for kicks and grins try seating a bullet in an empty case. Then measure how far into the case the bottom of that bullet. Put enough powder in to come to the bottom of a .060 wad and then add enough to compress about .10. Recoil is definitely going to go up but you might find some accuracy. And you might also try some of the thick cork or felt wads to use as a filler. I'm pretty sure that using loose filler doesn't give an even push to the base of the bullet causing accuracy problems.

I haven't tried much compression yet as the little time I've spent loading Swiss 1 1/2 has not yielded better results with compression. But I'm game to try it on this rifle and cartridge, just to see if it helps.
I was looking around the internet and found some thicker fiber wads and contemplated ordering some of those also to try. They're pretty cheap for 500 and not a big deal if they don't work out. I do put wads over my filler now, but it is a loose filler.
I use a dowel marked for bullet depth now to determine fill, so I can easily cut another to allow for some compression to try it.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #24 - Oct 8th, 2023 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
steveu wrote on Oct 8th, 2023 at 4:41pm:
With my 50-90 high wall I weigh Swiss 1fg and use cork wads to fill in the gap between the powder, which I compress .1”, to the base of the 525 gr bullet. 

Fwiw,
Steve

Are you punching your own cork, or find cork somewhere online that is the right diameter?

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 7:19am
Print Post  
steveu wrote on Oct 8th, 2023 at 4:41pm:

Fwiw,
Steve

Why don't you fill the case to capacity?

IP Logged

silver

Reply #26 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 9:04am
Print Post  
You might also want to look at Shiloh rifle forum,
Kenny wasserberger shoots a lot of 45-110
And talks a lot about wad stacks of different materials 
Shooting at the wasserberger mile match. He is very knowledgeable 
On bigger Bpcr cartridge rifles. I belive he has a book out on the
Subject also. The biggest i shoot is 45-90 so I fill
Case with 1.5 Swiss to bottom of bullet with 1 .060 wad.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #27 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 9:09am
Print Post  
silver wrote on Oct 9th, 2023 at 9:04am:
You might also want to look at Shiloh rifle forum,
Kenny wasserberger shoots a lot of 45-110
And talks a lot about wad stacks of different materials 
Shooting at the wasserberger mile match. He is very knowledgeable 
On bigger Bpcr cartridge rifles. I belive he has a book out on the
Subject also. The biggest i shoot is 45-90 so I fill
Case with 1.5 Swiss to bottom of bullet with 1 .060 wad.

Yes, I am on the Shiloh forum, but mostly to read posts, and only occasionally post there.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Marlinguy, have you done a chamber cast on this rifle? 
I ask because depending on who built the gun may have used one of the large diameter and long throats. If that's the case then you may have to go with a fairly large diameter bullet for the caliber to get anything resembling decent accuracy.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #29 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Ranch13 wrote on Oct 9th, 2023 at 9:23am:
Marlinguy, have you done a chamber cast on this rifle? 
I ask because depending on who built the gun may have used one of the large diameter and long throats. If that's the case then you may have to go with a fairly large diameter bullet for the caliber to get anything resembling decent accuracy.

The barrel and chamber were done by Bill VanHorn, who did the total restoration. Haven't done a chamber cast, but I have scoped the chamber, it has very little throat and wont allow for bullets to be set out further unless they have an ogive that more pointed. My Lyman mold for this rifle allows for a bit more than the paper patched bullets do, but still not a lot.
The bore slugs at .511" and I'm casting a .512" bullet. Rifle came with a couple really old molds that both drop around .519", but those rounds wont even chamber when seated in the cases. Just far too large.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint