Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Shippng Empty Brass (Read 2934 times)
JCBell
Participating Member

Shippng Empty Brass
Sep 27th, 2023 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
How can I legally ship, or mail, once fired cartridge cases to an individual within the US?

Grateful for advice.

IP Logged

Pentz
Senior Forum Member

Funf und Zwanzig mit den
Hut

Re: Shippng Empty Brass
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2023 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
USPS  SFRB

ASSRA Member Yoostabe # 11497

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2023 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
JCBell wrote on Sep 27th, 2023 at 6:28pm:
How can I legally ship, or mail, once fired cartridge cases to an individual within the US?

Grateful for advice.

There are no restrictions.  Ship it any method you choose.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2023 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
I have been told you have to knock out even the fired primers for USPS shipping.

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Quote:

I have been told you have to knock out even the fired primers for USPS shipping.

By who?

I've shipped a fair amount of empty brass via USPS without any issues. I usually decap and clean them up beforehand but fired primers pose no explosive or fire risk.

John

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Timetripper wrote on Sep 28th, 2023 at 10:10am:
Quote:

By who?

Always my first question!!!

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 10:57am
Print Post  
If I could remember exactly who told me spent primers should be removed, I would have mentioned it. Since it came up, it was most likely the local post office. I have asked them several firearms related questions over the years. I used to ship a lot of brass during the scarce times. But I can-not say with-out a doubt that is who told me. I seem to remember a comment that 99% of postal employees don't have any experience with ammo so they are told report if they see a primer in a case. 
I made my post hoping somebody would either have verification one way or the other. I doubt it would ever be an issue if a package didn't break open in a Postal facility. It's not their job to open your mail in transit w/o a good reason. 

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
if 99% of them have 'no experience' how would they identify the primer to begin with?  Fired, new, or deprimed would be unknown.

IP Logged

notlwonk

Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2023 at 9:00am
Print Post  
No reason for the postal employee to see or even know the contents. Same as with bullets, as in a projectile, they ask about hazardous materials and the answer is no. This of course excludes tracer, incendiary or explosive bullets.
I think this was discussed here or maybe on another forum a while back.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2023 at 11:50am
Print Post  
I would think that if you looked on their website there would be a list of prohibited items, make a copy, and if a question arises, you should have the answer. That is given there are no restrictions. Removing a spent primer "should" erase any problems. But, you are dealing with a quasi govt agency.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JCBell
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Oct 13th, 2023 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Grateful for both the advice and the discussion.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Oct 14th, 2023 at 11:04am
Print Post  
My experience in asking USPS workers questions about their shipping regulations has shown me it's rare to ever get a correct answer! In almost every case involving any question concerning firearms, brass or anything firearms related, the answer will be negative, and totally incorrect.
I've even called USPS people who are in charge of giving the correct answers, and had them tell me the regs and told me where to find them to print out, yet get to a local station and get told that I can't ship something.
The only way to avoid USPS baloney, and uneducated workers is to look up the regs yourself, and then follow them without asking or telling USPS workers what you're shipping!
In one instance the person in charge apologized for the stupidity of USPS workers, and asked me to go to a different station, and said if anyone asks what's in your box to tell them it's none of their business if it's not one of the standard questions they always ask. Never had an issue after that.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Oct 14th, 2023 at 11:37am
Print Post  
USPS flat rate box the best way, just have to declare nothing hazardous in the box.
But to be on the safe side deprime them before packaging for shipment.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Oct 14th, 2023 at 11:44am
Print Post  
I have a good relationship with the young lady at the local post office.  She only complains when I use a box that is too small for her label. She had no issues with the gun stuff I ship and receive and seems very knowledgeable about regulations. Since I have the agreement with USPS to have them accept packages from other carriers using the physical street address of their office that end up in my P.O. Box including having them sign if needed. I just make sure no hazmat shipments go there.  Years ago I tried to ship a high wall buttstock from a franchise UPS store and when the owner found out what it was he refused to ship it since it was a gun part. I loudly told him that it was a piece of wood!  That store is no longer in business.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #14 - Oct 15th, 2023 at 10:37am
Print Post  
I just had an issue trying to send a rifle back to CPA. They said I had to have a FFL send it or have a return label sent to you to be able to ship it. 
Sending brass or bullets has been no problem.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint