Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Help with value (Read 2318 times)
yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Help with value
Sep 7th, 2023 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
I haven't fired this rifle more than 25 times in the last 25 years, so I am thinking of selling, but have no idea of a fair price. Thick side HiWall, 30" #3 full oct Douglas barrel, Baldwin Soule sight, Mann/Neidner firing pin conversion, DST. Paul Shuttleworth did all the metal work and the inletting of the xtra fancy wood. I left way too much wood in the wrist, I think it could be reduced, The stock is finished in satin urethane. I had Jerry Barnett cut a mold for it and Russ Weber make a breach seater. I have a lot invested even at 1994 dollars. Give me your thoughts, I have no idea what it would cost to build it today. 32-40
Thanks Mike

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Help with value
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2023 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
No idea what it would cost today either, but I saw a very similar rebuilt High Wall at our recent collector gun show for sale for $2750, and it had Baldwin sights front and rear, but no palm rest, and no extra accessories with it. 
It didn't sell, and seller left with it, which kinda surprised me, as I knew he was willing to take maybe $400 less.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Pentz
Senior Forum Member

Funf und Zwanzig mit den
Hut

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2023 at 2:03am
Print Post  
My MVA highwall in similar nick put together by Wyoming Armory ran a bit over $5k without the Vortex golden eagle and BP Jack's seater.  32-20 CPA brass  expenses I will not mention. I'll post pics tomorrow.

ASSRA Member Yoostabe # 11497

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2023 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Horse Trade Value:
Original Herreshoff 28# folding kedge anchor
8” White magnetic ‘ Star Card ‘ compass with gimbals, 
300# of clean 1-20 lead, 
Crowes brass binnacle
MAS -45 mini Mauser 22 cal training rifle unaltered 
Baldor twin arbor 1hp buffing machine on Baldor cast iron pedestal
Lovely ‘ Storm Pattern ‘ Navajo saddle blanket 
Hollywood ‘ Senior ‘ single stage reloading press 
A cigar box full of Donaldson ‘ Wasp ‘ brass
Forster Universal Sight Mounting Fixture

Other options available upon request

Rick
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2023 at 7:39pm by burntwater »  

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2023 at 9:18am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Sep 7th, 2023 at 6:47pm:
No idea what it would cost today either, but I saw a very similar rebuilt High Wall at our recent collector gun show for sale for $2750, and it had Baldwin sights front and rear, but no palm rest, and no extra accessories with it. 
It didn't sell, and seller left with it, which kinda surprised me, as I knew he was willing to take maybe $400 less.

That's really surprising to me Val.   We don't have any big shows north of the border, at least nothing compared to what you guys have, so it's hard for me to guess an accurate value, but I'd have thought $4000 or so.

Chris.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2023 at 11:01am
Print Post  
The costs to build this rifle would be $4,000.
It appears to have quality workmanship.

Do custom rifles sell for their replacement costs?

Highwalls do sell for far less in the US than what they do in Canada - that is why I always bought mine when I went to Raton.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2023 at 11:45am
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Sep 9th, 2023 at 9:18am:
marlinguy wrote on Sep 7th, 2023 at 6:47pm:

That's really surprising to me Val.   We don't have any big shows north of the border, at least nothing compared to what you guys have, so it's hard for me to guess an accurate value, but I'd have thought $4000 or so.

Chris.

The prices asked at large collector shows I attend can be at both ends of the spectrum. I've seen almost identical High Walls at these shows with asking prices between $2500-$9500! Of course the high end of that range are likely never going to sell, and I think owners really don't want to sell them either.
I know the one at our show had been purchased for much less than the $2750 price just weeks before, as it was shown to me and buyer asked how he did. I told him he bought some nice sights, and got a gun for free!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2023 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
It does seem like the prices are way higher here Dave.   

I've seen some single shots in terrible condition up here with crazy prices.  The worse was a Borchardt that literally looked like it was recovered from the bottom of the sea. If I remember correctly the guy wanted $4000 Smiley.

Anyway, that rifle the original poster is selling looks pretty nice to me.  I'm sure it'd sell pretty quickly here for a good price.

Chris. 

IP Logged

joelpend
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Beautiful rifle. The market is fairly small for a rifle like this and with terrible inflation effecting everyone I have noticed it is getting harder to sell hobby stuff because people have less money to throw at their hobby these days.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2023 at 4:59am
Print Post  
The picture is hard for me to see well but the action looks a bit "round". Is it a Clerke action? I had one of them (bare action) circa 1977. Bought it from big Utah sporting goods chain. Never got around to barreling it, a guy came along and threw more money at me than I could refuse.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2023 at 8:26am
Print Post  
I have two CPA’S I upgraded with fancy wood engraving and the best sights scopes & accessories. Used to have a Original low wall set up set up the same way, sold it for about 2/3 of what I had in it . CPA’s no doubt sale would bring less than what they cost.

Fact is any upgraded or customized collectible, gun, car, boat is not going to return money invested . On the other hand I had CPA set up a plain long barreled 40/65 intending to shoot club long range matches. Sold it without sights or accessories for about what it cost. New price of the gun had gone up slightly & buyer did not want to wait for a new one.

Honest I don’t worry about resale value, have owned the CPA pair since 1993 & 1996. Upgrades pieced out over the years never keep track of what they cost. Enjoying a fine rifle is worth what it cost. 

On value separate post will post a link to the a recent auction high grade Stevens -Popes & prices realized . It’s not as much as you would think. I doubt if you could set up a reproduction Stevens Winchester or Sharps from American builders to the same specs for price originals sold for.

Boats

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #11 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
SchwartzStock wrote on Sep 27th, 2023 at 4:59am:
The picture is hard for me to see well but the action looks a bit "round". Is it a Clerke action? I had one of them (bare action) circa 1977. Bought it from big Utah sporting goods chain. Never got around to barreling it, a guy came along and threw more money at me than I could refuse.

Original thick side, reclaimed 219 zipper varmint rifle, paid $300 for  it in 1984. I quit shooting it when I bought my first German Schuetzen. I took Paul’s recommendation for the stock, in retrospect, I would have been much happier with original Winchester offhand design. Perhaps I should just have it restocked.
Mike
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2023 at 2:57pm by yamoon »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Restocking not a bad option if it makes the rifle more usable. My 1996 CPA was set up with the Pope Style stock, palmrest, breech seater, scope,and iron, pure offhand rifle I used it in the Hudson match 3 clubs within driving distance. Last 10 years or so there is almost no offhand Schuetzen shooting within 500 miles of me. Clubs offer it few shoot. Exception the excellent winter gallery  matches at Conestoga in Pennsylvania. Rifle sat unused while my BPC stocked rifle 38/55 & .22 saw a lot of use. 

Rather than sell the outfit sold the stock palm rest etc & had CPA restock to suit BPC rule, turned the barrels to bring weight in line. It qualifys for 2 CF & 2 RF offhand only single shot matches a month in Virginia with a 5th daylight savings months on a 500 yard Buffalo offhand. None allow hook plates palm rest or breech seating.

Using it much more switching off the two guns.  Most of the time leave the .22  barrel on use the 1993 gun CF. You have to shoot were competitive matches exist, this area its almost all Offhand, muzzle loader and lever Silhouette. Wish the Hudson was still being shot at clubs Eastern US but things change

Cost a fair amount to switch and adds to expense that’s not likely recovered, but sure is fun.

Boats 

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #13 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Since I don’t compete, I shoot only offhand, not very good, but sure enjoy it. I am thinking of a shoyen with a single prong butt plate.
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint