Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) magnum primer question. (Read 1481 times)
slowshot

magnum primer question.
Aug 31st, 2023 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
anyone using magnum primers in 32-40 or 38-55 ?
I have maby 600 std. primers left. but have near 4000 mag.
only have 100 yd. at our club. so not loading heavy. using smokeless powder.
thanks Dennis

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Re: magnum primer question.
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2023 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
I would at least try them. I would also cut back the powder charge a bit initially, but doubtful if necessary. Do you have any large pistol primers? They are what I use mostly for such .32-40 loads.

IP Logged

slowshot

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2023 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
yes,  have quiet a few and a lot of those are mag. pistol.
thanks for your responce. will have to try for myself,
Dennis

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2023 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
I too use pistol primers in my 32-40,38-55 and 33-47 with  light smokless loads.

IP Logged

slowshot

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 12:18am
Print Post  
thanks cbashooter, will load some with pistol primers also.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2023 at 11:06am
Print Post  
In two words; I wouldn't.

Pistol primers are not designed ( are thinner) for the pressures in rifle cartridges often resulting in pierced primers. They may also not reliably detonate some powders and most sources recommend they not be used with cartridges generating more then 40,000 PSI.

Last but not least the primers are of different dimensions, pistol primers are shorter so when used in a rifle case they "recoil" back against the bolt/breech face and can cause damage.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2023 at 11:49am
Print Post  
I use Remington 9 1/2M (Large Rifle Magnum) in my .38-50 Remington Hepburn, .38-55, .40-60 Maynard, .40-65 WCF, .45-70 Gov't. and .50-70.

The large rifle primers seat to the proper depth and do not rebound back resulting in block face pitting that the shallower pistol primers do in a rifle cartridge.

I use Magnum primers and the Remington primers that are the hottest since it results in better combustion of the black powder and less fouling.

I also place a newspaper wad inside the cartridge over the flash channel to prevent packing of BP in the channel which acts like a fuse and changes ignition timing.

When using smokeless powder I use Remington 9 1/2 and there is no need for a magnum primers for complete combustion or to ignite most smokeless powders unless you are shooting magnum powders requiring a more intense ignition or a powder like H414 that does not ignite well below freezing.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2023 at 11:56am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2023 at 11:53am
Print Post  
I've shot LP primers in low pressure cast and smokless for 40 years.Ive not had pierced primers,misfires or damaged breech faces from primer set back.
I'm not saying it can't happen but I've gone through well over 200k LP primers in LR pockets with no issues

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2023 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Both cbashooter and gnoahhh made it abundantly clear that they were using pistol primers for LIGHT smokeless loads in 32-40 and 38-55., and recommended that one should start low and work up. Many have, for a long time, used pistol primers in low pressure loads in some of the cartridges we load for, and I am not aware of problems. If problems have arisen, this would be a good time to bring them to light. As for dimensional difference, some I know, use a thin "paper washer" to bring the pistol primer flush. Perhaps those who do, could explain their procedure here. I have, for quite some time, used small pistol primers in 22 Hornet loads with success, and no problems. Although I am not a Hot Rodder, and have always advocated sneaking up on any untried change in loading a particular cartridge.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2023 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
One of our shooters shot pistol primers in his .28 caliber Miller deHaas rifle.

It had a 1/16" deep and 2" in circumference crater around the firing pin after 10 years of firing pistol primers.

It was most likely from a combination of using the shallow depth pistol primers and from using cases with worn primer pockets allowing the primer to move back quicker and easier.

The purchaser of his rifle (after original owner passed away) had to have the block face welded and resurfaced to get it operational again.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2023 at 12:16pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2023 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Sep 6th, 2023 at 12:01pm:

It had a 1/16" deep and 2" in circumference crater around the firing pin after 10 years of firing pistol primers.

It was most likely from a combination of using the shallow depth pistol primers and from using cases with worn primer pockets allowing the primer to move back quicker and easier.

The purchaser of his rifle (after original owner passed away) had to have the block face welded and resurfaced to get it operational again.

So, yes you can, but I wouldn't. Although pistol primers are ok with low pressures it could turn into a nasty habit....

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2023 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Sep 6th, 2023 at 12:01pm:

Small Pistol primers and small  rifle primers are the same height! So other things probably were the cause.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2023 at 2:07pm by Cbashooter »  

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2023 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
I wish I had kept a chart of the measurements a fellow made of the height of all the commercial manufacturer's small rifle and small pistol primers.

They are supposed to be the same however actual measurements of small pistol primers indicated their heights were definitely narrower than small rifle primers.

So the depth of the small pistol and small rifle pockets may be the same however the thickness or depth of the primers are not the same (in most cases).

And enough of a difference to slam back if you seated the narrower versions too deep in the pocket.

And we must not forget the pressures in rifle cases are greater than in pistol cases and the thicker walls of the rifle primers are designed to contain it better. 

And if you uniform your primer pockets the distance could be more.

And as indicated above if there is enough room to move in a worn primer pockets you will get release of gases which with time will crater your block face.

So if you do not seat the primers to the bottom of the pocket and you use cases without worn primer pockets you can get away with using small pistol primers in small rifle cases.

But there is more of a height difference between large pistol and large rifle primers and it is more of a risk to do it (Specified as a DO NOT EVER DO by Shiloh Sharps).

« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2023 at 3:00pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2023 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
  Cbasooter is correct; small rifle and small pistol are the same height. Variations in height do occur among manufacturers or lot numbers.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2023 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
mag primers are needed for best results when using 300MP powder in the 32/40 and 38/55

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint