Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 32 S&W Long rifle preliminary loading data (Read 1647 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

32 S&W Long rifle preliminary loading data
Aug 26th, 2023 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
In my #2 Ballard with 28 inch lined barrel and the H&G #65 bullet (98 grains lubed) and CCI SP primers. 5 shots through my Chrony. These loads were some that I found in old manuals or were given to me by folks on the list or some I just figured would work. Listed by Powder, Load, average FPS, ES and SD. Yeah, I know ES and SD don't mean a lot for 5 shots but you'll get the idea. More comments at the end. Here goes:
Titegroup, 2.0, 904, 110, 42;  231, 2.6, 646, 147, 80;  AA5, 2.7, 690, 98, 40;  AA5, 3.0, 610, 72, 29;  AA5, 3.3, 709, 24, 11;  Bullseye, 2.3, 1345, 19, 9;  2400, 5.6, 744, 37, 15;  Unique, 2.4, 868, 116, 53;  Unique, 2.6, 1002, 46, 20;  Unique, 2.8, 1012, 70, 32.
Best looking groups were AA5, 2.7 (in spite of the higher ES and SD than the 2.9?) and 2400, 5.6. Bullseye really zipped out there and had low ES and SD but scattered the shots. I'll try less there. The H&G #65 is a good pistol bullet but I have other bullets I will be trying next (as soon as I cast them). I don't think that 110 or even 115 grain bullets will be a problem. I had thought that some of the other loads would be traveling quite a bit faster than the pistol level loads out of a rifle but that is why I'm testing. Only the Bullseye load went supersonic and that with no indication of any problems. I can't explain the numbers for AA5 2.7 vs 3.0 - it sure looks like they should be swapped. We'll see. Ding! End of round 1.

IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Re: 32 S&W Long rifle preliminary loading data
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2023 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Keep us updated.

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2023 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Yes, interested in your results. Being an old bullseye pistol shooter, with hundreds of rounds of brass, dies etc. in 32 S&W Long I have many times thought about chambering a rifle in that cartridge.

IP Logged

wesg
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2023 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
32 cal 98gr in a rifle?

Shooting rats in the basement?

Wink

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2023 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
I'm interested also. I've got two rifles in 32 S&W Long. I've only shot Unique powder in them. My favorite load is 3.0 gr Unique with a 100 grain bullet from Accurate.

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2023 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Was wondering about heavier bullets myself. Recently shot a friend's .32 RKS -- 235 gr IIRC. That was .320 groove dia. IIRC.
.32 S&W Long is ~.312 I believe. The .32 RKS load was 12.4 gr. H 108.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2023 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Closing in on some accurate loads. Was out today with 3 bullets and 2 powders and 3 loads for each combination. Will modify this post when I get through the analysis. Sure like that DST. So it was like this, I was planning to go to the range early Wednesday so I had time to get organized for that. Turns out wife informs me I was on Uber duty for her on Wednesday so I threw stuff together on Tuesday and got a late start. My usual procedure is to cover the whole target frame with paper and attach 9 aiming points to it. Since I had 18 loads that would require two covered frames and 18 aiming points. I had cut out 3x3 dark paper squares for my aiming points. I got to the range and found that I had rushed out without putting the paper roll in the car. OK, I'll just have to use 18 targets. Uh, didn't bring the big box that had the targets in it (since I wasn't going to use them). Fished around in the target shed and found 2 target frames that had no holes in them. They had a dark backing so my 3x3 squares would show up. Starting setting up the bench and remembered that the big box with the targets that I didn't bring also had my rests and bench cover. Grrrrr. Got a rug from the sandbag box and found a front rest that someone had left in the target shed. Finally. the 3 bullets I had were the Lee, 99.8 grain that cast .312; a Saeco 322, 98.4 grain that cast .312+, and a Lyman 311159, 117 grain GC that cast .313 (why this one? I had a lot of them for some reason and I wanted to try a heavier bullet). The Saeco is very similar to the Lee in appearance but nicer looking with a wider base band. Unfortunately, looks not being everything it didn't do well in the testing. They were lubed in a .313 die. The powders were AA5 and 2400. The loads were in the vicinity of the ones that looked like they might have promise in the initial test. For the AA5 there was just a slight 1/4 grain variance among the 3 loads and for the 2400 more like increases of 1/2 grain as I wanted to get up closer to the 6.5 grains that had been mentioned to me. I was shooting at 50 yards as I had a nice crosswind. The Lee was happiest with the heaviest load with each powder with 1 1/2 inch groups. The Saeco flunked the AA5 test but seemed to like the heaviest 2400 load with 4 of 5 in 5/8 inch and 5 in under 2. The surprise was the Lyman which was closing up with each increase and was down to 1 5/8 with the 2400 and is going to get increases in powder next time.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2023 at 8:22pm by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

Mal

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2023 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Eons ago I shot a Hammerli P240 pistol in .32 Long, most accurate load was 1.6 gns of Winchester 452AA 98 gn wadcutter, in a Ransom rest it would go 1.5” consistently @ 50 mts. Sometime even better depending on the projectiles used, Mal in au.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2023 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
That would be a nice one to have, Mal. The only pistol I ever had in the cartridge was a K32 but I never played with it enough to get satisfaction. Loads that light seem to be a problem for me. Were you using a rotor or actually weighing them? I got a kick in the head today when I was trying to nail down the actual powder weights I was using from the settings on my Harrell's Schuetzen for the AA5. Even my 10 drop averages weren't coming close. It just doesn't like loads of AA5 around 3 grains. I would have to weigh them one by one to get a consistent load in that range.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2023 at 1:54pm by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

Mal

Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2023 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
I used a Redding thrower,checked after I had thrown 10,very consistent 452AA wasa great powder for .32s, Yes the P240 was a very nice bit of gear,we shot a match called Service Pistol here in OZ, Based I think on the old FBI course. 90 scoring shots, 50 yds down to 7 yrds . I also shot the match with a .45 Gold Cup and a d/ a only S+W .38 spec. I also shot a Russian Toz 36 revolver in .32 and used the same load.These were modeled on the old Military Nagant revolver, the chamber moves forward to gas seal it to the forcing cone, very neat idea,very accurate.This was used in the Olympic centre fire match. Great memories.Still at it @ 78 but mostly rifles these days.  Cheers Mal in au.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2023 at 11:35am
Print Post  
I regret to this day trading off both of the low walls that I had converted from 32 rf to cf. one was still in 32 LR (32 Colt) chambering and the other had the chamber recut to 32 H&R.   Cry
In my dotage, I’m hoping to make up for their loss by having a Ruger #3 rebarreled to 327 Fed Mag.   Wink
Froggie

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Just got back from the range and think I may be getting close pending analysis post getting the rifle and the brass cleaned up. I was using 3 bullets again; from the Lee mould (I've used mould for over 60 years now and I'm going to stick to it!), the Saeco 322 mould, and a new one for the tests this time, the Accurate 31-125MG (gas check with and without the gas check). This mould is a 2 cavity and also casts the 31-125M (plain base but this is being used in my 32-20).  The first set of tests used 2400 powder in amounts equal to the one that looked good in the last tests, and plus and minus slight amounts, and CCI 500 primers, and no gas checks on the Accurate bullet. The second set of tests used H108 powder in amounts (and plus and minus) that I figured might be roughly equivalent to the 2400, Remington 5 1/2 primers, and gas checks on the Accurate bullet. I used my contractor paper covered target backing and stick on 3 inch bullseyes for aiming points. This worked out well (much better than the square pieces of green paper I used last time) with the note that the bulls are slightly reflective and sometimes the reflection (depending of the clouds and the position of the sun) made getting a good aim a little more trouble. At one point I decided to run a patch through the barrel to remove the unburned 2400 powder from the lightest loads. In doing this I accidentally managed to slightly fold the Beach front sight back and it took me a few shots to realize why I was having trouble getting the round bull in the aperture. Duh! Of course there is no problem when starting it in the correct position as the recoil tightens it. Look for the new thread latest results.
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2023 at 9:06pm by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint