Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Question about Ned Roberts book on Schuetzen rifle (Read 822 times)
bullshop

Question about Ned Roberts book on Schuetzen rifle
May 18th, 2023 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
When I read the Ned Roberts book on Schuetzen rifles I noticed he mentioned several times that when loading fixed ammo  he seated bullets friction tight.
At the time I was reading I assumed he meant that he was seating bullets with his fingers in unsized fire formed cases.
  Now its been a while since I read the book but suddenly I question my first assumption.  I recently started thinking that maybe by the term "" friction tight"" he meant that he was tightly seating bullets in sized cases.
  Now I dont know what to think. He mentions several time seating bullets with one or two bands in the case and friction tight.  Anyone care to take a stab at what he meant by "" friction fit ?   In my 32-40 Stevens with fireformed cases unsized a .322" bullet seats with enough resistance that they are hard to seat with your fingers but when seating with the press and seating die almost no felt resistance. That is what is shooting good fo me when loading fixed ammo. This ammo has a couple drive bands in the case and a couple out with the Saeco 200gn tapered.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Question about Ned Roberts book on Schuetzen rifle
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2023 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
That’s how I seat my fixed 38/55 & 32/40 very little press resistance, still secure in the case. Obtain neck tension with neck sizer dies followed with bullet appropriate  “M” die. Opening and flaring just a bit.

Boats

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2023 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
That is kind of what I am doing too in the 32-40 accept that with a .322" diameter bullet no case sizing is needed.  I am flaring the neck just a wee bit with a Lee universal neck expander then set the seating die to just take out the flare with no crimp.  With that I am getting about 2.5" groups at 100 yards with peep sight.
  I feel that it will improve some with full breach seating but this is a good off hand practice load.  I am trying to locate some reprints of the original 40 rod Schuetzen targets as I want to try my hand at the old schuetzen game.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2023 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
I don't know what he meant.  

I load some cartridges friction tight but I often get there through the back door. Okay, let me explain that. My bullets drop right in on the wad and then I run the cases into the sizer die till I get a light friction fit on the bullet. Works good with BP loads.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2023 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Very interesting!  What all this means is that we don't really know what he meant by the term  "" friction fit "" or "" friction tight""
I think I will look at it as him meaning not tight but not loose.
Sound about right ?

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2023 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
My criteria for black powder fixed loads is use a taper crimp die, Tight enough so can't pull the bullet out with fingers, loose enough that the bullet can still be rotated.
A little tighter seems to work better for smaller calibers and smokeless powder.
Chuck

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2023 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Its very interesting to hear of other folks ideas and methods.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2023 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
I figure loaded fixed that way and paying careful attention to brass, Peep tang and post & bead front,  my 2 CPA rifles 38/55 & 32/40 are 2  MOA rifles. Put the 12x Unertl on either one they are about 1 MOA Rifles. 

This falls in line with Townsend Whelen’s advice “in most hands peep sights resolve  to 1 MOA & scopes improve on 1 MOA by their power” When I breech seat the 32/40 barrel & scoped  it’s a bit better than 1 MOA.

Real difference fixed ammo requires carefull loading at home & let’s you concentrate on conditions in timed relay offhand or cross stick matches. Breech seating simpler with fewer variables but takes time and attention at the shooting bench. Ideal for ASSRA bench matches.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint