Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Berdan Primers (Read 817 times)
oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Berdan Primers
Apr 18th, 2023 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Found an old Cigar box with 2 sizes of Berdan primers.  Luckily , I have some brass to use  the .254's   and the still go Pop!

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Berdan Primers
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2023 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
I believe the .254s are a useful size in cases like 8.15x46R and I think the .217s may be used in some military rounds. I'll have to check my books.

IP Logged

condorsc

NRA Life/Benefactor, ASSRA,
SCV Life

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2023 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Completely unrelated, but.... An empty bottle of Brillantine is pictured. My father, born in 1900 and who served in WWI, mentioned this very product several times in his later years. The manufacturer, Marrow, was est. in 1919, so the time fits. Although he pronounced it as Brilliantine. He had to go to work in a factory at age nine to help support his family. And no complaints. There were indeed "giants on the Earth in those days" (Misapplied quote). Thanks for the unintended retrospective.

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2023 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
If you use those old primers don't forget they are probably corrosive, leaving salts behind when fired.
Used to wash the barrel out with water to get rid of any salts which of course attracts water and why so many old guns have rough barrels through lack of getting the salt out.
Looks like that glass jar contains primers which would be a pretty impressive hand grenade.
Regarding Brilliantine which I used when a schoolboy to impress the girls, the fashion for oiled hair was so common that it spawned another word called an antimacassar in the Victorian and Edwardian era which was a cloth on the backs of upholstered furniture to stop the oil in it from soiling the cloth. 
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2023 at 5:03pm by Nero »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint