Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) My new Haenel Original Aydt and shooting set up (Read 1931 times)
KaiserKong
Participating Member

My new Haenel Original Aydt and shooting set up
Apr 7th, 2023 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and fairly new to single shots, so I figure I'd post some photos of my set up. I bought a gorgeous Haenel Original Aydt last year in 8.15x46R and spent several months getting it ready to shoot. I'm also a machine-shop guru so I ended up making a lot of special tools for it as well. 

At first I wasn't having any luck finding good brass for it. So I decided to turn a cartridge case (based on dimensions from my sulfur cast) to fit the chamber. I then made a set of reloading tools so I could reload the case at the range. That included modifying a Lee Loader kit I had for 7.62x54R (mostly for de-priming and priming) and a hand-held lubricator device. 

I bought a stop-ring bullet mold from Accurate Molds, their 32-182L ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)) and had it machined to my barrel (0.307" lands, 0.317" grooves). The bullet has a 0.307" bore-rider nose, a stop-ring around 0.330" and the rear bands are 0.319". I'm using a lead/tin 25:1 alloy. It comes out to 184 grains. For now I'm loading the bullet into the case (not breech seating). 

My first few range visits so far I've just focused on shooting black powder: GOEx or Grafs Fg, 1.5Fg, FFg that I have on hand. Once that runs out I'll switch over to Swiss brand. I also have some  IMR 4227 as well when I start with the smokeless powder. 

The rifle has the typical bead front sight and diopter rear sight and a fine set-trigger. So far I've been able to print around 10 inch string measure at 100 yards with 10 shots. I'm hoping with some load tweaks I can get that down to 7 or 8. I also bought some half-scale 25-ring targets. I was able to score a 166 and 168 for 10 shots with them at 100 yards. Hopefully in time and some practice I can get my off-hand skills improved further. 

Anyway, it's a hoot to shoot and looking forward to many more years learning to figure this guy from the bench and off-hand. Hope you enjoy the pictures,

Cheers,
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2023 at 10:49pm by KaiserKong »  

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: My new Haenel Original Aydt and shooting set up
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Looks like you're having fun.

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Be careful, those German schuetzen rifles are habit forming.
Mike

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
I've had several of those schuetzens through the years and enjoyed them all. I never had all the kit you have come up with though! 60 years ago the brass of choice was made from running a 32 Win Spcl case into the die and then cutting to length. Sometimes a little rim attention was called for and sometimes it was fine as was. Back then the powder I most often used was 2400. When you get to smokeless do be careful of your loading. The last Aydt I had was one that had been overloaded cracking the action and bulging the barrel shank. I had the action crack TIG carefully welded and a heavy 22 barrel put on it. The original barrel, minus the bulged part, still resides with me on another rifle.

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Saw one on Gun broker awhile ago chambered for 219 Zipper. I wouldn’t want to shoot it.
Mike

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2023 at 3:27am
Print Post  
Ya, not just habit forming, but expensive.  I just bought a Stiegele auf Munchen from Allan Hallocks' daugther about half covered with gold inlays, engraving; and an extensively carved and incised stock.  It was the only one he did not sell before his death.

That is what caused me to sell the engraved Ron Long Ballard.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2023 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
When I had an Aydt in this cartridge I used .32 Win. Spl. cases run into my 8.15x46 die set, and trimmed to length. They worked perfectly, and it was very accurate with my 180 gr. bullet I cast.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2023 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 17th, 2023 at 5:32pm:
When I had an Aydt in this cartridge I used .32 Win. Spl. cases run into my 8.15x46 die set, and trimmed to length. They worked perfectly, and it was very accurate with my 180 gr. bullet I cast.

The Original Aydt action will accept American-made cases without reducing rim thickness or diameter.  With other actions, maybe different results.  My pre-1891 Martini, Biggi said it was from Prussia, only works with cases of European dimensions.

IP Logged

KaiserKong
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2023 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
My Aydt wouldn’t load the brass American brass I got for it, so I had to turn the face off a few thou to get the headspace. The RWS brass loaded just fine.

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2023 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Never owned an Aydt except a junker that I parted out. I usually take 2 System Concurrenz to the range (take 2 in case one breaks).
Mike

IP Logged

Pentz
Senior Forum Member

Funf und Zwanzig mit den
Hut

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2023 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
My Haenel Aydt is a joy to shoot.  the rims on 32-40 brass (gasp) cut on my case guage work just fine.  To assuage the heresy, I used older gun show pickups for shortening.

ASSRA Member Yoostabe # 11497

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2023 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Biggi says the man on my Aydt looks like me after I cut the cheese....  Sad
I resemble that remark! Angry

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2023 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
“ Cut The Cheese “ man I haven’t that expression in years. If you used that expression with a younger crowd they wouldn’t have a clue like trying to explain a clutch pedal. 

Rick

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2023 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Joe,
Your cuteness makes up for a world of social difficultys  Cool

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged