Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) making 25-20SS and 22 Lovell brass from .223 (Read 3123 times)
brian1
Participating Member

making 25-20SS and 22 Lovell brass from .223
Mar 31st, 2023 at 9:40am
Print Post  
I posted this info on another site, and thought I'd mention it here.  You CAN make rimmed brass from rimless.  I didn't believe it at first, but now I know it can be done.  It requires at least a 5 ton press and a 7mm FL die.   The 7mm neck provides the sizing for the new case.  You also need a lathe.   You push the brass back almost to the rim, then you trim off the excess with the lathe.  Then trim the case to length.   It's important to push the donut all the way back so it has a sharp ridge, not a flat ridge.

I made a video of the process of how to do this. I am no video guy, and my knowledge of how to use my video editing software does not extend beyond the absolute basics, but hopefully this rather hokey video I put together will give you a picture of the process.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

This will make brass that is very strong and should last a long time.
Any questions or more details needed, let me know.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2023 at 9:51am by brian1 »  

NRA Benefactor +, GOA Life, GONH Life, CRPA Life, SAF Life, FPC member

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Re: making 25-20SS and 22 Lovell brass from .223
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Don't sweat the lack of video skills, I'm the same way with mine.  What is important is the information you share.  I watched this a couple weeks ago and found it very helpful. I've not done it myself, as I have a fair supply of .25-20SS.  But if I come across some cheap .223, I might give it a try just for fun.  I have everything necessary.   

Thanks for sharing  Smiley

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Unlike some brass, 223 is readily available and inexpensive if you want to experiment.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
   I just watched the video, and I believe the lesson learned, is that the one responsible for the process should be awarded the perseverance award of this century. The video, was a success.
Congratulations Brian, for a job well done.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Well done!

Brian added one little fillip that I never thought of, which is using rosin to help keep the case from slipping on the driver spud while turning down the "doughnut".  Saving that for future reference.

A reminder: This brass is much thicker than OEM, so published loads have to be backed off a full grain more than usual to start.

<div class=

IP Logged

critter68
Senior Forum Member
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Specifically what die is needed 7x57 Mauser, 7mm rem mag? Thanks for clarification 
Mike

ASSRA LIFE#294
NRA LIFE #194353342

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
The 7x57 Mauser is much to be preferred, because it has a relatively shallow shoulder angle.  It's that part of the die that does all the forming.  A steeper angle would require more pressure at the end, and the face of the case takes quite a beating as it is.

<div class=

IP Logged

critter68
Senior Forum Member
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks 
Mike

ASSRA LIFE#294
NRA LIFE #194353342

IP Logged

brian1
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Oh, and since I see uscra112 is on here, I gotta give him big props, as he's the man who taught me how to do this.  He also suggested that a more effective driver for the case on the lathe would be, instead of trying to drive the case using the live center at the mouth and some rosin at the head, to make one that is held in place at the tailstock and goes into the case and jams up against the inside of the case head, pressing it hard into the little aluminum driver held in the chuck jaws.   That should let you take off more brass with each pass, and speed up the lathe work.   I plan to try that next batch.

NRA Benefactor +, GOA Life, GONH Life, CRPA Life, SAF Life, FPC member

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2023 at 11:14am
Print Post  
I made some years ago for my .25-21 Stevens using .223 brass. But I turned the base diameter down a little first, and then they sized down easier. Had to go back in another step to final turn the ridge off above the base, but this made forming them easier, and I did them on my Rock Chucker press.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #10 - Apr 1st, 2023 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Two things.  First, I cut a 'driver' in the collet that slightly wedges into the primer pocket. Therefore not needing rosin.  Could be cut to ensure that hte primer pocket is not undersized (like a primer pocket swaging tool).  One pass with the cutter does the job on bringing the brass to size.

Secondly, these are sections from early on, to see how far the forming must go down the case.  Note that if it is not far enough as shown - the brass is far too thin just above the base.  These were done on a Rock Chucker.  Next attempt will be to try to do it in two passes taking it down a little at a time so it can be done on the Rock Chucker.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 1st, 2023 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Thank you for those photos.  Excellent illustration of why the initial pressing operation has to be done properly.

@marlinman - what die did you use for your .25-21 forming?

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Apr 1st, 2023 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
A couple of years ago Phil sent me down this rabbit hole and I discovered it's a very deep abyss.  It's not that anyone will take it this far but I had to.  Here's a photo I just shot with some descriptions of what I made experimenting.  There are a considerable number of dies to make to get to the end results here and the frustration level goes up considerably. 

I have used the swaged 25-21 brass I made with probably 10 reloads on it - in itself it's a fragile case to reload and I've found the 25-25 even worse.  Anneal too much and they crumple, don't anneal and they split.  The Vickerman seating die (previous post question) works well for these... After dealing with these longer cases, the 25-20 are a breeze.  I've made nearly 100 of these and they function and shoot quite well.

I really appreciate the video Brian, the press you are using is a necessary item and if I do any more I'll go that route.  I currently use 5 ton arbor press - it works but it's a workout.

* I labeled the internal nibbing tool a swage in the photo, struggling with the pencil this morning... There's a die that went with this that gets chucked in the lathe - it worked but it was slow and tough to repeat dimensions.  The arbor at the bottom of the page has marks for lengthening for 25-21 and for 25-25.  At a glance you can see where you're at.  The roll, replaces a knurl in a knurling tool, a little lube and the brass grows quickly.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2023 at 1:27pm by GT »  

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2023 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
You went much deeper than anybody else, drawing those out to .25-21.  Kudos.!!!  

Not that I'll ever DO it, but I'd like to see that nibbing arbor entire.  How long is it?  Straight cylinder?  The reduced diameter gets chucked?  Jaw chuck or collet?   

I have a 44-1/2 in .25-21, but it got little use because of a ridiculously heavy trigger that I never fixed.  A safe queen for 20 years.

« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2023 at 4:18pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 1st, 2023 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Phil,
Here is a couple pictures, the one in motion was dated March of '20 so it's been a while since I've touched this.  The second photo is of the actual arbor, I smoked it and filed the profile to match the inside of the case as close as I could get it.  It has a line that I take the brass to for 25-21 then up to the ridge if I'm doing 25-25.  I did this in a 3 jaw chuck and looking at the shape of the portion that was chucked on, I had an issue at some point, appears to have spun in the chuck - I can't remember that happening and can't believe that the brass would have stuck to the mandrel either...
I have a LW that I re-barreled in 25-21 but never finished it... wood I think.  Now that this has all resurfaced I may have to change direction a little...
thanks for sharing this process with me back then.
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint