Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 38-55 for the Quigley shoot ? (Read 2528 times)
bullshop

38-55 for the Quigley shoot ?
Mar 30th, 2023 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Is anyone shooting long range to 800 yards with a 38-55 ?  If so I would like to learn some details like rifling twist rate, bullet details (length, weight) a little about the rifle and any other information you think may entertain like load information , muzzle velocity . I would also like to hear about sight point gain from a 100 yard zero to 800 yards and what barrel length it is from and what MV with what bullet weight. The longest target at the Quigley is 805 yards but I can figure that out if spring ever comes and I can get out and shoot.

IP Logged

Redrighthand

Re: 38-55 for the Quigley shoot ?
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2023 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
I saw a video a couple days ago of a guy shooting an 1893 Marlin in 38 55 at 1/2 mile. He had the gong zeroed in in three shots. He had some sort of tang sight. I don't know any of the particulars.

Mike Brooks
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2023 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
If I just wanted to shoot, save lead and powder and my shoulder that's what I'd shoot.  I wouldn't worry about a load or the type of rifle. But I'd most likely use my Ratburn because it's neat.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2023 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
That is a neat rifle for sure but I dont think there is enough time for muzzle loading the bullet.  Probably wouldnt want the tools out there in the dirt either.  Looking at you picture you may not have enough sight staff for over 800 yards.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2023 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
It can be loaded surprisingly fast. The palm rest will have to come off and a taller sight put on.  A full case of powder and duplex load it might make a few hits. 800 yards is a long way for the puny 38-55.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2023 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
800 yards with a 38-55 depends on how the rifle is set up It needs a 12 to 14 inch twist  to run the 330 to 350 grain high BC bullets needed.  Trying to run the old 250gn flat nose at long range makes it hard on all but very calm windless days.  My 1/14" twist barrel seems to be doing good with a 330 grain round nose bullet.  We are still so wintered in I cant get out to try 800 yards. Hopefully spring and shooting weather will be here before fathers day so I have time to get all sight settings worked out.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 5:48am
Print Post  
My 19 twist wouldn't hold up.  Never mind.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 6:33am
Print Post  
There’s potential accuracy then there’s practical accuracy on a particular target.   When the morning 200 yard offhand match is finished our club shoots a 500 yard single shot iron sight match offhand on a steel Buffalo. It’s cut from 48x48 plate about 36x36 effective target size.

38/55 often wins in the hands of good shooters that have spent time prior to the match establishing zeros.  Obtaining zeros is the key, it’s very hard to spot 38/55 bullets at 500 on painted steel if it’s shot up with previous hits . Hits off the plate extremely difficult to spot depending on the time of year & vegetation on the 600 yard berm. Berm 100 yards behind the target big factor.

Have never been to the Quigley but talking to shooters that have sight in times are limited and you're not going to get perfectly painted targets or berm spotting situations. Larger the bullet easier it is to spot,  generally 45 caliber heavy bullet  is best for long range work. Good look at past match results would be first thing I would do if planning to attend. Have 38/55 rifles done well ? 

It’s very frustrating to show up at a match first time on a particular range & never get strikes on target. It happens frequently to new shooters on our 500 yard target.

If you have 800 available at home it would be a big advantage . If so best to have zeros bit shorter and longer than your home target too. Few ranges are precisely measured you could find 25 yard or more variance target placement yours to theirs . Range of sight adjustment for distance variance is useful new situation. 

Boats

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Generally, BPCR shooters at mid- to long-range use the .38-50 Remington-Hepburn, with a fast twist barrel.  The .38-50 case can actually hold 50 gr of powder, where the modern .38-55 shells hold 45 gr or so.

The midrange object is knockdown power on the steel Ram targets, but at longer range, the extra powder capacity helps with the wind and vertical stringing.  Still, “He who shoots not, hits nothing,” so bring what you have and see how it works.

The Quigley targets are fitted with offset lights and microphones that register hits with flashes and a distorted “buzz” over the speakers on the line.  They have had the bugs worked out of them of late and performed very well the last two years; in any case, the Scorekeeper can draft the spotters on the relay into an observation committee for all the shooters.  The target painting schedule has been well-randomized so the chances of getting a shot-up gray target are as low as possible.  In any case, with the hit indicators, the gray targets are more a visual sighting problem than a hit-or-miss issue.  Looking for the dust puffs or mud splatters off the target might be a little more difficult with the smaller bullet, but everybody spotting around you will be happy to help.  The Scorekeeper’s job, though, is only to call “Miss!” or “Target Hit!” and the Rangemaster is there only to enforce safety and keep the shooting going, so it’s not their job..

So bring your .38-55, and your best loads.  People I know have beaten me with their .38-50s against my .44 and .45 calibers, because they are better shots and wind dopers than I am.  No matter what score I get, I always have a ball.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Thanks guys, your helping to build up my courage.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Correct me if I’m wrong but I read somewhere the second place finisher of last years Quigley was a young girl shooting a Miruko Traditional Hunter in 38-55. Her advantage was the aid of her long time competitive family.  Best I remember the barrel twist is 1-16 for those rifles so I doubt the bullet weight was over 300 grains. As others have said it’s more about the experience and abilities when it comes to placing in the winners circle. Do like most, come for the entertainment value and let the chips fall where they may, a 38 in the right hands can be capable. Good luck.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
When H&H came out with their big 375 magnum in 1912 they chose a 1/12" twist .  The idea of the fast twist was to keep the none expanding solid bullets on a true terminal course as aimed without deflection from that intended course. The fast twist was not intended for stabilization of a max length bullet because their heavy projectile the 300 grain round nose was not max length for the twist. The 1/12" twist nicely handles quite heavy bullets.  I have designed a 370 grain bullet that is very accurate in the 1/12" twist of my 375 Whelen.
    When Winchester came out with the 375 big bore even though it was only offered with a 220 grain bullet they for what ever reason also chose to use a 1/12" twist.  The 375 win rifles very handily use a 350 grain bullet the heaviest I have used in the cartridge.
  Now it seems to me that if a 1/12" twist were used in a 38-55 and maxed out for bullet length with an efficient nose shape the resulting BC of that bullet should be right up there with the big 45's in something like a 530 grain Postell or money bullet. 
  If the BC's are equal and the muzzle velocity equal then the trajectory and wind drift will be equal regardless of caliber.
  My rifle has a 1/14" twist and is limited in bullet length.  I have found the Lyman Postell at 330 grain in a 20-1 alloy looses stability at about 300 yards when launched at about 1300 fps.   The custom bullet from NEI at 330 grain in pure lead is slightly shorter than the Lyman Postell bullet and has proven to remain stable to 800 + yards.  If I were to cast the Postell bullet in pure lead it will likely go about 340 grain thus raising the BC over the same shape at 330 grain.  Any gain in BC that will stabilize to and beyond the intended range is a positive gain in any long range shooting weather BPC or high power.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
A fast twist, a very heavy soft bullet and a heavy load sounds like a skidding opportunity for the bullet on the lands and a test of the cartridge case strength. We're not talking the strength of the 375 H&H brass here. But, let us know how it all turns out.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Mar 31st, 2023 at 8:07pm:
A fast twist, a very heavy soft bullet and a heavy load sounds like a skidding opportunity for the bullet on the lands and a test of the cartridge case strength. We're not talking the strength of the 375 H&H brass here. But, let us know how it all turns out.

But we are talking about loads in the black powder pressure range at maybe 25000 psi which is about half the pressure of the 375  H&H.   If it works in long range muzzleloaders it will certainly work in cartridges.  Remember the Irish team at the first Creedmoor match used Rigby muzzleloading rifles to 1000 yards to good effect against the US team and if not for one shot from the Irish team delivered to the wrong target they would have tied the US team.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Other thing important mid to long range gong work is a good spotting partner . Spotting board, careful attention on the scope and system of hand signals instead of communicating voice on the line. Shooter and spotter must speak the same language, how many MOA to put or take off the sight.  Shooter does what he is told, spotter guides him on target.

1000 yard shooter on ranges with paper targets and pits have a significant advantage with good target service. Strikes  precisely marked from the pits  and plotted on a pad. They can make quick accurate adjustments during a match.

You won’t duplicate pit served ranges on steel but closer you can come better your scores will be.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint