Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 1885 High Wall SS trigger (Read 418 times)
northwoodneil

1885 High Wall SS trigger
Mar 29th, 2023 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
I just bought a Winchester high wall with a single set trigger that wasn't working. The adjustment screw was turned in to far. It's working now but it doesn't have much range in pull weight at all. From "out" where it won't release to "in" where it won't stay set I go from 8.2oz to 0. I've never had Winchester with a single set before are they all this light? At 8oz it passes the bump test with flying colors. The unset trigger pull is 2lbs 5oz and breaks like a glass rod. I'm suspecting someone way smarter then me has worked his magic, either that or Winchester made one h*ll of a trigger back in 1893. If anyone has insight on other HW single sets tell me what you think. I'm a plinker not a competitor and don't think I'll be setting it very often 8oz seems spooky light to me.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 1885 High Wall SS trigger
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2023 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Most of mine are very light.  The engagement between the trigger and the trigger catch can be altered but you can introduce creep.  I have never tried a stiffer trigger catch spring, but that might make a difference.  It sounds like your non-set trigger pull is OK unlike some that are very stiff.

ASSRA # 11318
Some take the high road.  I take the psycho path.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2023 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Mine are all light like that, but generally a little heavier unset I think, although I've never measured mine.  Yours sounds perfect to me. 

The lightest set triggers I have are on my CPA rifles.  When they arrived I had to increase the pull a little because they'd go off before my finger could even feel the trigger.

Chris.

IP Logged

northwoodneil

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2023 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the responses it's nice to know this trigger is acting normal. Neil

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2023 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
I would suggest that you back out the set tigger adjustment screw. 
Set the trigger and you should be able to now watch the front trigger moving back as you are now moving in the adjustment screw. 
It will get to the point of that screw actually making the tigger go off and now not being able to re-set.
Then back off that adjustment screw about an 8th. of a turn and then try re-setting it again. 
There is a very fine line of when you actually can and it being reliable and that should take care of what you have actually been trying to accomplish. 
And you might also have to put the hammer in half cock first to get the trigger to set.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint