Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Frazier falling block (Read 555 times)
foxhunter
Participating Member

Frazier falling block
Mar 27th, 2023 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
saw one the other day and thought it was interesting. thought they were imported as a kit and the action was poorly heat treated. would it be safe in a hornet?

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Frazier falling block
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2023 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Foxhunter, look on the Important Topics section under Gunsmithing for a writeup on the little Fraser.

IP Logged

curdog

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2023 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
The correct spelling is "Fraser". In the 1880s or 1890s, if you desired to have the finest single shot hunting rifle money could buy, you climbed the steps of the promenade at the beginning of Leith Walk in Edinburgh. Daniel Fraser's shop was the second or third to your left hand.
They do take deer quite spendidly, from my observation.

The Italian things that were imported here in years past are nothing of the kind - either in design, style or quality.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2023 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Foxhunter, here's what a "real" Fraser looks like on the inside. They were made in a couple of sizes and the standard one could be chambered in almost anything you wanted.

IP Logged

foxhunter
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2023 at 3:55am
Print Post  
the ones i am thinking of were imported bu cape Girardeau outfitters just south of st louis. were they italian made?

thanks for the schematic.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2023 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
These were a poor copy of the Fraser Farquharson (so not the diagram of a true Fraser). A well known expert on British rifles wrote this on another site back in 2003:

Anyone know about a Dan'l Fraser falling block?

"Yes, I remember them, the Daniel Fraser Highlander rifle. Cute little gun. I had several of the kits. We built several in the shop.

Frank DeHaas wrote them up. His report matches ours results. Firing pins constantly broke and the sear constantly wore out and they wouldn't stay cocked.

Cape Outfitters sued American Single Shot Association and Rifle Magazine over articles written about this rifle. The suits were later dropped.

Get a copy of “A Potpourri of Single shot rifle and Actions” by Frank DeHaas for the details on all the problems with these little guns.

I suspect that with the closing and liquidation of Cape Outfitter's you might see a few of these floating around.

Fellows don’t waste your money on them."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint