Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Reworking a Remington No. 5 in 7x57 (Read 2423 times)
waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reworking a Remington No. 5 in 7x57
Mar 26th, 2023 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Not considering doing this.  It's an idea for a story I'm writing.  Thought I'd run it by you guys.

Is it reasonable (that is, safe) to think about converting a beat up No. 5 roller in 7x57 into a coyote rifle with a heavy barrel in .223, set up to use military surplus ammo?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Reworking a Remington No. 5 in 7x57
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2023 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't. But I think DeHaas did some rebarrels to the #5 I wouldn't do either.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2023 at 12:29am
Print Post  
I think one would have to weigh just how dangerous what could go wrong could be if anything did go wrong.

IP Logged

Otony

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2023 at 3:26am
Print Post  
In the last few weeks there have been two rolling blocks on Gunbroker that started out as 7x57, but one was rebarreled to .257 Roberts and the other in .260 Remington.

I’m thinking neither one was a great idea……..

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2023 at 9:23am
Print Post  
I think I read somewhere that 40,000 psi pressure as an absolute maximum pressure.  For a coyote rifle I'd look at the 25-35, or the rimless 25 Remington cartridges.  Me;  I just left mine in 7mm and load at the bottom of the recommended loads.

George

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2023 at 9:30am
Print Post  
I actually saw one in .223 this last Saturday at the Kallispel gun show. I didn't pick it up, just glanced at it and saw the small hole. It was laying next to one of it's unmolested brethren. My first reaction was, "Some things are just wrong." The second thought was, "who ever shoots that thing needs to dial 911 before pulling the trigger."

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2023 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
At the GS at Puyallup many years ago I saw a rolling block, an old rolling block in 6 or 6.5 that chambered a rimmed bottle necked case. It was a very old original outfit. Once in a while I still kick myself for not buying it. 

It's funny how many time bombs are out there that never seem to explode.   

Look out! Look out!!   Grin

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2023 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
I saw one rebarreled to .257 Roberts by a gunsmith who I thought knew better.  A customer had the thing rebarreled for his son.

I'll abandon that thread in my story.  It might give someone a bad idea.  Thanks for the input.

IP Logged

jimmy
Senior Forum Member

Now available in Oklahoma.

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2023 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
The 223 case head is a lot smaller creating less back thrust than the 7 mauser. Not saying it would or would not be safe. There are better combinations for an old rolling block.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2023 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
jimmy wrote on Mar 27th, 2023 at 6:59pm:
The 223 case head is a lot smaller creating less back thrust than the 7 mauser. Not saying it would or would not be safe. There are better combinations for an old rolling block.

The 7mm Mauser rounds of the early 1900's chambered Rolling Blocks were nowhere near the pressure of modern 7mm ammo we have today. So thrust pressure wasn't the same as today's ammo either. But even those modern smokeless Rollers in 7mm are often found with some headspace issues. Maybe from being fired with modern 7mm ammo?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

wesg

Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2023 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't do it, personally. But, I'd look at the actual thrust as already mentioned. *AND* I wouldn't chamber it in '223'. I'd use a NATO chamber for use with surplus ball of whatever spec' and origin. And brass is 'one and done'.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2023 at 4:06am
Print Post  
wesg wrote on Mar 27th, 2023 at 10:26pm:
I wouldn't do it, personally. But, I'd look at the actual thrust as already mentioned. *AND* I wouldn't chamber it in '223'. I'd use a NATO chamber for use with surplus ball of whatever spec' and origin. And brass is 'one and done'.

That is precisely what my thoughts are for the story I'm writing.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Mar 29th, 2023 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I remember back around 1960 when my father contacted PO Ackley to see about rebarreling a Model 5 to a 22-250 which was still a wildcat at the time.  He said he would do it.  Thank goodness my dad didn't follow up or I might be missing some fingers or an eye or two.  I would go with a 219 Zipper if I was building a 22 caliber rifle.  I have a #5 rebarreled to a 6mm/30-30 Improved that I load reasonably for and it had no problem taking an antelope a few years ago.  I wish 25 Remington brass was more available as I really like the rimless cases in my #5 rifles as the rim can get behind the extractor and you are out of business until you tap the case out.  Don't ask me how I know that!  Curt Hardcastle has installed a limit screw on my 50-70 and 38-56 to eliminate that problem.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2023 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Mar 28th, 2023 at 4:06am:
wesg wrote on Mar 27th, 2023 at 10:26pm:

That is precisely what my thoughts are for the story I'm writing.

What are the differences in the two chambers?   

In my tale, a shepherd has a coyote problem, access to a lot of formerly military ball ammo, and no interest in or need for reloading.  Brass is "one and done" but the empties are sold or traded, never discarded.

The rifle needs to have a very simple & rugged 4- or 6 X scope.  what brand should I mount on the rifle?

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 10:46am
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Mar 29th, 2023 at 5:06pm:
In my tale, a shepherd has a coyote problem, access to a lot of formerly military ball ammo, and no interest in or need for reloading.

If your shepherd has access to any kind of US ball, have the rifle converted to 9mm or .40 S&W?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint