Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ruger No1 (orNo3) mods (Read 1373 times)
GordonS
Participating Member

Ruger No1 (orNo3) mods
Mar 11th, 2023 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Retirement has provided some time for fooling with the truly important things in life . . . . Single shot firearms.  I have a Ruger No1 that I would like to optimize (whatever that means).   

Improved accuracy is one goal and I was leaning toward the DeHass recommended mod (screw through forend hanger to apply pressure to/on the barrel) but I stumbled across an ad for the Hicks Harmonic stabilizer.   Does anyone have feedback pro or con on this?

Trigger modifications are also available (Moyes, Kepplinger, Jard, and?).  The Jard trigger is sort of my focus but, any feedback from anyone pro or con?

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Re: Ruger No1 (orNo3) mods
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2023 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Gordon,

I have had an appreciation for the Ruger single shots since they first came on the market and now have over a dozen of them. Most I have modified or customized in some way. I have used the Hicks barrel tuner on several but have just drilled and tapped the forearm hanger on the rest and I have no preference for either application. Sometimes it improves the accuracy and others it has taken more work with the loads or a new barrel. I have all the triggers you mention and like the Jard the best, easy to install, adjust and reasonably priced. Good luck on your Ruger project.

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2023 at 11:38am
Print Post  
The Hicks unit can provide some improvement in precision, but it has the greatest positive influence on the lighter weight barrels ("A" weight in Ruger nomenclature). It may or may not do anything to the heavier barrels. I have a Hicks I took off a No. 1 I bought and have not installed it on any of my other Rugers. I find load development more rewarding than any "add-on" doodads, but I will say that a small square of tire inner tube can work wonders placed between the barrel and fore-end tip in some of these rifles (a poor man's barrel dampener/tuner)

The original Ruger 3-screw triggers (pre-1977) were very good. The Moyers trigger is just a steel copy of it. I recently acquired a Jard through another rifle purchase and am very impressed with it. I also have a soft spot for the Canjar set trigger in the No. One.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2023 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Years ago a guy in the PNW (Dick Stripes)  that was a #1 fan would cut the hanger bar off of the action so he could install a heavier barrel and then screwed the bar directly to the barrel.He held a national record in the CBA with one so modified.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2023 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
I tried the DeHaas method with an Allen setscrew up through the hanger, and no matter how I adjusted it, I found nothing better for accuracy.
From what I've seen on a Ruger #1 the best improvement in reducing group sizes is to rebarrel with the largest diameter quality barrel that will fit. That adds enough stiffness to make them shoot better.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

GordonS
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2023 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback.  I found an ad for a No3 modified by RJ Renner, as described by CPAshooter. If not outsmarted by the wonders of the Internet, I’ll attach =>

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2023 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
I would think that that mainspring letting loose attached directly to the barrel can't be helping to increase precise shooting, especially with that light barrel.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2023 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Pretty lackluster cartridge for anything more than just 100 yd. plinking. Not that the .44 Ballard Ex. Long is a bad cartridge, but not sure it's a great cartridge for most uses.

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2023 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
I just installed a Jard trigger in a No. 1. Haven't shot it yet, just dry fired and popped a couple primers. Waiting for things to warm up a bit up here. So far, I like the Jard, I took the 1 lb option and so far, I've got it @ about 15 oz.
Original barrel was a thin 220 Swift that never shot that great. I've re-barreled to 6.5 x 47 Lapua and a heavier profile. I was pleased that the original extractor would work with the new cartridge as well. Going to try it for High-Power Silhouette.

IP Logged

wesg

Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2023 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
I had a 200 yr 7 Mag that wouldn't shot worth a darn no matter what I did. I found a fired cartridge extracted and rotated 180 couldn't be put back in. And the chamber was visibly off center to the bore. Sold it off with full disclosure.

A later 218 Bee has been a great shooter out of the box, even with the long throat it has. I had several no 3's, 2 Hornets and 3 223's. Sold off all but one of each.

The Hornet is a decent shooter.

The 223 got stripped, hanger removed and the thread trued up. Has an oct/rd/oct barrel in 6mm-357 Max. Hanger replaced by lugs attached to the barrel. Haven't shot it yet, it's been collecting dust for far too long. Need to anneal the cases so they'll chamber after forming. I did a couple with a torch and they'll drop right in. Needs a decent stock as well.

Too many projects in play, too many not yet started.

Must list items for sale ... and ship the one already 'sold'.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2023 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
I also had a 200 year 7 Mag and all I had to do was add pressure between the barrel and forearm tip. Salts leaking out of the wood at the action were another matter.

IP Logged

wesg

Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2023 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
I tried the set screw, shims. It was just a bad barrel. Thought about replacing it, but the only thing of value on it was the '200 year' stamp on the barrel. Better to sell it to a collector who wanted one in every caliber. It was really pretty ..

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2023 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
I have a #1v that sets in the back of the safe, I’ve grown so use to DST for target and hunting I never use it. Is there a set trigger available for it?
Mike

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2023 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Mike,
I have these on most of my #1's, easy to install and adjust. I have not tried the 1 pound model but have several of the 1 1/2 models and they are very nice off the bench.

IP Logged

foxhunter
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Mar 27th, 2023 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
i have a no.1 in 218 bee with a 22" barrel with rings and sights. shot ok and then i put a moyer and a hicks on it. now it shoots in the .3's with 40 gr bullets.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint