Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) original trap door ??? (Read 1743 times)
dragonblood9

Re: original trap door ???
Reply #15 - Mar 17th, 2023 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
day 1 - 20rds down range, was able to "MOM"  (minute of man).  think the eyes ain't what they were.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #16 - Mar 18th, 2023 at 10:27am
Print Post  
dragonblood9 wrote on Mar 17th, 2023 at 8:20pm:
day 1 - 20rds down range, was able to "MOM"  (minute of man).  think the eyes ain't what they were.

Hopefully you slugged the bore, and got a proper fitting bullet? These having an odd number of lands and grooves need to use a micrometer to measure the diameter properly, or go a bit larger than what you measure the odd number lands diameter to get a good fit.
A lot of old Trapdoors have larger bores, and need a bullet in the .460"-.462" range to shoot small groups. And of course their sights aren't great either.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

dragonblood9

Reply #17 - Mar 26th, 2023 at 11:52am
Print Post  
nope didn't slug it, just went for it. needed to hear it i know i am apostate for thinking "I'll work on groups later" Smiley

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 26th, 2023 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
The BUffington sight is not to be sneezed at .... It is readily capable of making MOA adjustments.   I was taught the appreciation of the Buffington sight by the late Dennis Bruns, a fellow who was known as "MR Trapdoor", and habitually won the military matches in the BP Raton NM championships.  

Some folks set the Buffington sights with a dial caliper, but it is also easily done by eye, using the existing graduations, and much quicker to do it on the firing line that way.

I have found that hte best bullet is one that fits the fired case, never mind about the bore/groove dimensions.   I was able to do very well with a bullet of around 400 gr, and a light load of BP, giving about 1100 fps, using amaranth seed as a filler.   Full "war loads " in a 9# rifle will beat you up un-necessarily.

CHRIS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint