Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Full length dovetail mount MVA 9000 (Read 674 times)
sevensix2mm
Participating Member

Full length dovetail mount MVA 9000
Feb 19th, 2023 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Evening all,

Spied a nice 74 for sale up here in The Great White north.  74 Shiloh, has an MVA 9000 dovetail to dovetail mount on a 34" barrel.  Other than looking cool I don't think it'd be much use but I'm looking at it tomorrow and making an offer because, well it's there!

It's the weekend so I can't phone MVA for specifics, maybe one of you can help.  In MVA's scope manual they give 0.005" adjustment per MOA on 17" spacing, and for a 30" spacing (I'm guessing a 34" barrel would be 30" dovetail to dovetail) they give 0.0088".

Question is, how much total MOA roughly useable would I have with their rear Malcolm Creedmoor mount?  Anyone use one of these full length setups?  Like I mentioned, I know the drawbacks but it's a sweet rifle.  I'd likely reconfigure scope/sights at some point but for now it could go bang just fine.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Full length dovetail mount MVA 9000
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2023 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Is this the one on consignment at Prophet River?  Those guys are good people but I think the price is quite high.

One of my Shilohs has an MVA scope with 17" spacing and Creedmoor mounts.   To give you an idea, here at the home range near sea level, my 300 yard sight settings are 0.2".   At Byers Colorado ( ~5000 ft altitude) these were my average sight settings. 
800yd = 0.55"
900yd = 0.62"
1000yd = 0.72"

So about 0.52" from 300 to 1000.  given the increased spacing on that rifle you'd need about an inch above the 300 yard setting.   

If you want I can check and see how high my sights actually go.  I'm pretty sure they don't quite travel to the top of the scale.

The cheek weld, or lack of it, would be a problem for me.  At 1000 yards with the 28" scope the elevation required on with my scope is pretty much identical to that needed for my soule sight at that distance. So the cheek weld is the same, and it's already pretty bad with my scope.  That rifle would be worse off.  I also use an add on cheek riser.    

For the less money I think you could get Bill Goodman to quickly get you a nice Shiloh and then find someone local to put on a 23" or 28" scope.  Clay at Prophet River can do the importing pretty cheaply.

My latest Shiloh is a bull barrel 45-100.  I've recently put their latest 10x scope on it ( 23" ).  I haven't used that scope yet, but I think it'll be about perfect.

One more thing.  If it is that 45-110 at Prophet River and you really want it, make sure that you have a supply of brass for it.  Norma .45 x 2.88" is what you want, but it's been on back order for a few years.    

Chris.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2023 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Even considering the Canadian dollar conversion it appears to be listed for a price higher than the actual cost to build the rifle including all of the additions such as higher quality wood.
Only benefit is it is a quicker delivery time.
I always wonder if the scope lens being so close to the muzzle, ends up with lube being blasted back on the lens?
Measuring (on the photo) the scope block distance relative to the barrel length I think the block spacing is 28".
So the adjustments would be much finer than the 17" spacing Chris has with his scope so I wonder if it can still have enough elevation adjustment for a 1,000 yards?
Shiloh Sharps of this price usually have gold inlay but I did not see any on this rifle.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2023 at 6:11pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2023 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
It does seem to have some nice options though.  Extra fancy wood, AAA finish, pack hardnening, Hartford collar.   

I should have had my last ones pack hardened.

Chris.

IP Logged

sevensix2mm
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2023 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
I took a look and passed.  Due to the optic limitations and it's a high price.  I could build it for less with those options, it basically only has the wood upgrade.  My last one and current coming have basically every conceivable option on them (I like em fancy) and 45-110 is not a very useable caliber.  Had a line on Bertram 45-110 headstamped brass at $7 a stick lol.

Anyways guys thanks for chiming in.  I think I am going to put an order in for a Creedmoor Target.  The presentation grade guns I get from Goodman take about a year fully optioned out.  WORTH IT

IP Logged

Mal

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2023 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Yes Dave I can confirm the lube problem,I once ran a eagle eye in my front aperture sight in the 40/65 Roller, wondered why my sight picture was getting a bit fuzzy,that was my excuse for my poor performance .LOL. On checking my front sight it was covered in Lube. Cheers Mal.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2023 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Yeah without a ready supply of the 2.88" Norma brass, the 45-110 is a bit harder to deal with.  I have one, a bull barrel Shiloh, but I bought it when the Norma brass was still plentiful.  I think I paid around $3 apiece.   

Chris.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint