Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Shooting and Fishing (Read 1019 times)
yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Shooting and Fishing
Feb 15th, 2023 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
I have vol 5 & 6 of Broadfoot publishing reference Shooting and Fishing. They are new, I don’t remember where I got them. Any interest? I will list them if there is.
Mike

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Shooting and Fishing
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2023 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
yes!

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2023 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Listed

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 1:28am
Print Post  
For those of you who do not know the whole story:

When Brett Boyd owned the Single Shot Exchange monthly magazine, he was involved in marketing these reprints of the magazine in coffee table size (11x14?) hardcover form.  There were 24 volumes, and 3 volumes of indexes.  I bought the first 4 or 5, and then the opportunity arose to go hunt Cape Buffalo in Zimbabwe.  Yah, I got a nice bull, the third and finishing shot at about 20 feet.
I had to cancel purchasing the rest to pay the costs.  That was late 2008, and I have not seen of heard of a set for sale since.
Until Christmas 2022.

I had the chance to buy the complete set at that time.  I just said "Oh Hell Yes!"

Good Luck! in your quest.

Rich

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 7:59am
Print Post  
I don't know anything about Mr. Boyd's involvement in the Shooting & Fishing project.  I bought my set at roughly one volume per month directly from the publisher, Tom Rowe.  It was a considerable monetary sacrifice; but in terms of information and pleasure gained, well worth it.

At the time, there was talk of a similar Arms & the Man project to follow, but I don't believe it ever did.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 9:32am
Print Post  
I also bought mine, one a month, from Rowe/Broadfoot Publications.  $80 a volume, and worth every cent.  Not only does it cover most of the time period of the dominance of the “antique” and “vintage” guns we are interested in, it’s a fascinating look into a lost world that now seems to be another civilization on another planet.

A civilization whose inhabitants were racist, sexist, ageist, speciesist, heteronormative, only rudimentarily environmentally sensitive, and paternalistic enough to give today’s Cancel Culture the galloping wim-wams, but they still showed a lot more class than the “educated” media “influencers” of today.  They could also write more clearly and coherently, and did better at spelling and grammar than those “influencers,” somehow accomplishing this task in the absence of Spellcheck and Grammarcheck.  It rarely occurred, but the least deviation from reasoned argument towards scurrilous quarrel and Ye Ed, Mr. Gould, was there, with his red pencil, writing “finis.”

This was even more remarkable because there were relatively few of what today would be called “staff writers,” professionals penning the major articles.  Most of the content was “correspondence,” letters and notices from amateurs, often with pseudonyms, like Internet posters today.  No doubt Gould did some polishing on this correspondence, but it couldn’t have been too extensive, as the personalities of the correspondents are still distinct.

Vols V, VII and VIII were sent out twice, because the publisher said there were problems in the printing of the first copies.  Subscribers were told to destroy the flawed copies, but I never had the heart.  Nor could I find any obvious printing problems in the first copies.

Given that I am no slouch in finding (and griping about) missing or smeared words or lines, overly-dark or washed-out photos, and all the other problems that reprints are subject to, Mr. Rowe must indeed be a perfectionist.

I don’t wonder that complete sets seldom come on the market.  As reference material, especially with the Index, it’s easily worth its weight (and cost) in fine guns.

There are a few volumes of Arms and the Man on Line, and I would doubt a reprint of the series would sell.  By then it was Military shooting and WWI developments; a few articles of general interest in a sea of ephemera.

IP Logged

kremezcal

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2024 at 11:41am
Print Post  
I have inherited 43 volumes of Shooting and Fishing (all in great condition) and wondering if there is any interest. It appears there is only Volume 40 missing. I have put them on eBay and FB Marketplace (Denver) today.

IP Logged

J.Francis

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2024 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
You're not missing volume 40; they never printed one. I have the complete set and called Broadfoot about #40 and they told me it was a mistake in numbering. You should also look for the 2 volume set of "The Rifle" which preceded "Shooting & Fishing".

IP Logged

kremezcal

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2024 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Thank you for that information! I actually have the two-volume set of "The Rifle" as well. Hoping someone will be interested in purchasing it. Thanks for the info!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint