Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic a new single shot comes home (Read 698 times)
powderhead

a new single shot comes home
Feb 15th, 2023 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Although I don't consider it in the same caliber (pun intended) as the single shots regularly discussed on this forum, I have bought a new single shot rifle.  It's a CVA Scout chambered in .45/70.  Stainless, fluted barrel with a muzzle brake.

The state I live in has new firearm rules for deer rifles, and they are now allowing straight wall cartridge rifles in single shot only.  It doesn't make sense at all.  You can use your auto loader shotgun or a pump, but not a lever action.

I chose the 45/70 over 450 Bushmaster because....well just because.  There's good things to say about both cartridges.  Does anyone here have any experience with this rifle in that caliber?  For starters I'm going to try the Hornady Leverevolution in 325 grain.  The BC on that bullet is pretty good and it's a popular choice according to my reading.  Wish me luck.

IP Logged

rr2241tx

Re: a new single shot comes home
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2023 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Happy Hunting and Good Luck!

No experience with either you rifle nor your chosen ammunition but am betting Ole Mossy better steer clear of you or he will end up on your wall. 45-70 has been getting the job done for a long time. I occasionally take one of mine deer hunting and really never have felt like I couldn’t make the shot using the same load that the shoot silhouette with. The deer never complained.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: a new single shot comes home
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2023 at 10:55am
Print Post  
I had a #1 Ruger 450 bushmaster. It shot well but being a case mouth headspace cartridge I sold it and went back to the 45-70 with a rim
Don't get me wrong it worked fine but I'd rather have a rim controlling headspace and a single shot.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2023 at 11:30am by Cbashooter »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint