Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Long Range Bullet Nose Shape (Read 1763 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Long Range Bullet Nose Shape
Reply #15 - Feb 15th, 2023 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
The PJ CReedmoor bullet will almost certainly work well in that rifle if you haven't tried it yet.

I got a really nice deal on a used PJ Creedmoor once.  It shot quite well in the Shiloh .45-70 I tried it in.  I have excellent results with a 458535M1 Money bullet though, so I gave it to my shooting partner so he could have it as a backup in case something happened to the one he normally uses.

Chris.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Feb 15th, 2023 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Feb 15th, 2023 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Where is the Tucson range and whom would be the contact for information on BPCR?
Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Feb 15th, 2023 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Not sure where it’s at
I do know those guys are grousing a little bit because there is work going on on the 1000 yard range so a lot of the place is shutdown for the construction

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 8:10am
Print Post  
About 2019 at our August long range match in Harris Minnesota, Jim Klusken (may he rest in peace) was there from Wisconsin. We had a practice day on Friday and Jim was really shooting well at a 1000 yds and right towards the end of his time at the target, he opened a box of bullets that he received from a good muzzleloader shooter from out east who asked him to try the bullets in his Hepburn. Jim was a paper patch shooter and all he had to do was to pull a bullet out of the case and stick one these bullets from the muzzleloader shooter into his case and shoot. The bullet was shaped a lot like the Lyman Whitworth bullet with a large meplat. There was about four of us hanging around watching Jim shoot and he said "how much do you think I need to come up to get these bullets on the target" and a shooting friend of mine said "go ahead and just try one and we'll see what happens". Jim shot two tens and an X with that bullet without changing his elevation. I know strange story but we were there and saw it happen and it all makes us wonder whether or not all the BS about bullet nose shape in cast lead bullets with black powder even makes a difference. Maybe we shoot something like the money bullet or Creedmoor bullet because it makes us feel good and gives us a confidence when we need to keep our shots on paper. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2023 at 8:18am by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Feb 16th, 2023 at 8:10am:
About 2019 at our August long range match in Harris Minnesota, Jim Klusken (may he rest in peace) was there from Wisconsin. We had a practice day on Friday and Jim was really shooting well at a 1000 yds and right towards the end of his time at the target, he opened a box of bullets that he received from a good muzzleloader shooter from out east who asked him to try the bullets in his Hepburn. Jim was a paper patch shooter and all he had to do was to pull a bullet out of the case and stick one these bullets from the muzzleloader shooter into his case and shoot. The bullet was shaped a lot like the Lyman Whitworth bullet with a large meplat. There was about four of us hanging around watching Jim shoot and he said "how much do you think I need to come up to get these bullets on the target" and a shooting friend of mine said "go ahead and just try one and we'll see what happens". Jim shot two tens and an X with that bullet without changing his elevation. I know strange story but we were there and saw it happen and it all makes us wonder whether or not all the BS about bullet nose shape in cast lead bullets with black powder even makes a difference. Maybe we shoot something like the money bullet or Creedmoor bullet because it makes us feel good and gives us a confidence when we need to keep our shots on paper. Just a thought.

I remember Jim posting about that.  I was pretty surprised to hear his results.  I believe them because Jim was definitely not one to post things he wasn't sure of.   

I haven't done a comparison of blunter bullets at long range but have at 500m and found a pretty measurable difference in my rifles.  I'm not sure why Jim's results were different, but I sure was surprised to read them.

Chris.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Jim was certainly one of the best folks around, and was an honored part of the "legends of Lodi"

I made my statement about the bullet nose shapes from my experience.When I load to go to a match I take the bullets that the rifle I'm taking shows the best groups from testing here on my home range. Some rifles show a preference for the money bullet and others may like the another. But it's always the bullet the rifle shows preference for. Unless I'm going to one of the gong matches knowing full well those aren't x ring accuracy required and a skip in counts the same as one that lands smack dabb center of the target, and then I may just take a batch of rounds to see what happens with this good ol bullet.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Welcome to Tucson!  The BPCR shoots are the first Saturdays of the month, and the .22 versions the second Saturdays, at the Tucson Rifle Club’s range at Three Points (Robles Junction) about 25 miles from the 19 freeway out Ajo Way.  The schedules for all events are on the TRC dot com website.  Grandslamronbo@msm.com is the guy who runs the matches; shoot him an email and get on the mailing list.

There are also ranges that go to 200 yards off Wilds Rd north of Tucson and on Houghton Rd to the south.  The latter is only open on weekends, IIRC.

The TRC 600-yd Range is open Fri-Sun; the revamping on the rest of the days will continue into March, according to the latest rumors.  Then the place is open every day except Thanksgiving and Christmas.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #23 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 10:13am
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Feb 15th, 2023 at 2:49pm:
Didn't Mann do some horrible things to bullet noses without making significant changes to the results?

Yes, and other modern gun writers also did articles on various damage they intentionally did to bullet noses to see if it hurt accuracy. It didn't hurt accuracy enough to measure, but the modern writers never shot their test bullets further than 200 yds., so not sure about further distances.
I have Pope, Darr, and Saeco nose pour bullet molds and the larger molds cast great bullets with very consistent weights. The smaller caliber molds do also, but need to preheat the mold much longer before pouring the first bullets or they cast very poorly if not well heated.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 11:28am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Feb 16th, 2023 at 10:13am:
oneatatime wrote on Feb 15th, 2023 at 2:49pm:
Didn't Mann do some horrible things to bullet noses without making significant changes to the results?

Yes, and other modern gun writers also did articles on various damage they intentionally did to bullet noses to see if it hurt accuracy. It didn't hurt accuracy enough to measure, but the modern writers never shot their test bullets further than 200 yds., so not sure about further distances.

This chap from down under sure had different results with a .22.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Wad cutters swaged for 44 and 45 caliber rifles actually shoot surprisingly well to 200, after that it's a crap shoot.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Don't forget that Mann's experiments, as enlightening as they are, were done at quite short range.  At a certain point ( distance in windy conditions ), ballistic consistency is going to be more important than a slight edge in short range accuracy.

Chris.

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks much for contact info. Will be contacting shortly.
Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Chris you said a mouth full there. Especially when dabbling in the Creedmoor matches at Ben Avery, Whittington and Byers. Going from 26+ left to 12 right and running 5-10 minutes up and down between shots, tests not only the spotting , but bullet capability.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint