Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) about 25-20 SS brass (Read 3093 times)
bullshop

about 25-20 SS brass
Feb 4th, 2023 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
I have been looking through some of the match results on this site and I see that the CPA Stevens is very popular in competition not surprising but what is surprising to me is that the 25-20 SS seems to be a common chambering.   
What I am curious about is where are these shooters getting 25-20 SS brass.  I have a few boxes of the re-formed Shroeder brass just in case a 25-20 SS ever comes my way but when I got that brass he told me he was closing up shop so is no longer a source for brass.  So what is the source ?  Has someone else started commercial production of 25-20 SS brass ?

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Re: about 25-20 SS brass
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
You're pretty much on your own there. Snag it when/where you find it, but be prepared to pay significant money.

I and my mates have a pretty decent supply of original vintage and recently manufactured brass (Jamison/Captech and Bertram, but forget the Bertram as in my experience it's crappy- to use a technical term) but for future use (if nobody takes up the mantle of manufacturing it) we're looking toward swaging the stuff out of .223 brass. It's not a terribly complicated ordeal, and has been discussed here several times in the recent past.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
There might actually be a source.  I recently found some 219 Zipper brass from a company I'd never heard of.  It's called Quality Cartridge  ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ).   

I haven't personally used the brass yet, but it seems ok Smiley.

They list .25-20 SS but say it's out of stock and "Next run when sufficient back-order exists".

Chris.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
The Shroeder brass I have is made from 223 rem brass.
I believe I have seen the quality cartridge site had 25-20 SS brass listed at $5.00 + each. At that rate I dont understand why choose it for a new rifle build. The rifles listed in the match results were made by CPA Stevens. 
If I were building a new rifle and wanted a 25 caliber in the performance range of the 25-20 SS I would choose something easy to get brass for something like a 25-222 rimed which is made from 357 max brass. Thats just me though.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Brass comes up for sale pretty often, just watch for it. Here online auctions and such. Always seems Easier to find when you don’t need it.

About a week ago there was some 2R Lovell that can work in a pinch. Brass is thinner, but it will form, 25-20 ss was the parent case. It hung around about a week.

Quality cartridge might be an answer. About $2.50 a piece. It would be interesting to know how many pieces to make a run.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2023 at 9:41am
Print Post  
bullshop wrote on Feb 4th, 2023 at 10:07pm:

I believe I have seen the quality cartridge site had 25-20 SS brass listed at $5.00 + each

The web site shows about $2.50 a piece.  But to your original point, it's surprising if it's popular.  I wouldn't build a rifle in that cartridge just due to such low brass availability.

Chris.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2023 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Buffalo Arms show 25-20ss brass in stock.  Kind of expensive….but if you need it.   Looks like it is head stamped BACO 25-20
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2023 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Rocky Mountain Cartridge will machine it from solid, assuming they are still in business.  Quite adequate if you treat it gently. Do check wall thickness.  One out of the 20 I bought a few years ago was almost like foil at the mouth.  The rest survived a couple-or-three firings unscathed.  I have an adequate supply of Jamison/Captech, so these RMC cases got little use.

<div class=

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2023 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
All the originals were single shot lead bullet rifles, but were intended for semi-smokeless or early smokeless bulk powders, not black powder.  If someone has a CPA (or other?) in 25-20 Single Shot, the original purchaser probably intended it as a traditional lead bullet rifle.  The original cases or the Jamison/CapTech stuff worked well.  I tried both Bell and Bertram.  Lots of split necks & bodies, probably not worth the trouble unless you're desperate. Even then, anneal everything and stick to minimal loads.

I haven't tried tried cases made from .223, but they ought to be stronger than the originals.

The original cases were used for the .22-3000, R-2, and Maximum Lovell series, but only until purpose-made brass was marketed.  Case life was pretty short.

If you're thinking about jacketed bullets and higher velocities, you need something else.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2023 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Maybe I made the wrong impression I dont want a 25-20 SS I was just curious as to why some other folks did enough to have a new rifle built in that chambering.
I have a BR rifle in 25 hornet so was wondering if any possible ballistic gain of the 25-20 SS over the 25 hornet was worth the trouble with the brass. The 25 hornet is pretty straight forward in forming brass and the parent case very affordable and available. Since I am a long time 22 hornet fan I always have lots of bass on hand.  In a recent visit to the CPA site I see that they offer 25 hornet as a chambering option.
I shoot only cast in my 22 hornet and 25 hornet but when I lust for higher velocity and jacketed bullets I have a vintage depression era BR rifle in 250 Savage that satisfies the desire. It may not be quite up to todays BR standards but it still shoots to the standards of the day perhaps even better with our better quality bullets.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2023 at 10:13am by bullshop »  

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2023 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Why a .25-20SS when other more practical choices are to be had? Multiple answers to that question, and none of them completely rational. Mine is tradition, staying true to an era in history. Hard to verbalize.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2023 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
gnoahhh wrote on Feb 6th, 2023 at 12:51pm:
Why a .25-20SS when other more practical choices are to be had? Multiple answers to that question, and none of them completely rational. Mine is tradition, staying true to an era in history. Hard to verbalize.

If any of us were completely rational, that person would not be on the forum.

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Feb 6th, 2023 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
If my memory is correct I believe the .25 bore rifle matches specified vintage cartridges.  But that was probably 30 years ago.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2023 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
gnoahhh wrote on Feb 6th, 2023 at 12:51pm:

I do understand that logic but for the pleasure of nostalgia there is the pain of brass availability.  Some here have suggested watching the auctions for it but that is a source only for existing brass and unless someone starts making it that source will eventually come to an end..
About 40 years ago I had a Steven 44 1/2 chambered for the 22 Lovell and even then brass was hard to find and all that was available was vintage the most recent run being a special order from Griffin & Howe and that brass was already old..  In the interim Jamison brass came and went so we are about where we were 40 years ago on 25-20 SS brass. Such things keep me up at night worrying about it so for the sake of peace of mind I try to stay with cartridges that are easy to get brass for but I do have weak moments such as in a recent purchase of a 74 Sharps in 40-90 BN. 

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2023 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Oh, don't get me started on .22 wildcats based on the .25-20SS. The crack of those cartridges has been the background music of my life for over 40 years, and counting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint