Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) minimum bullet seating (Read 1626 times)
KWK
Senior Forum Member

minimum bullet seating
Feb 3rd, 2023 at 10:17am
Print Post  
The 357 Maximum seems an excellent case for a light rifle, big enough for fun with black powder but not so large that loading down with smokeless is any problem. I wonder, though, how long they'll continue to make it.

So, how far out might one seat a bullet in the 357 Magnum case, perhaps just the bottom band of a lead bullet. I think I read folks have loaded bore rider bullets so, and I wonder how well it works.

Karl
IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Re: minimum bullet seating
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2023 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
I read yesterday an old article by Ross Seyfried in which he loaded up a 455 Webley for hunting with an old single shot. Scaling from the photo of the recovered 280 gn bullet, he must have seated it about 1/8 inch deep, and the base band, which was the only part of the bullet fully engaged in the brass, was a little over half that. 

Surely this is the bare minimum. Using a fast shot shell powder, he may not have had to worry about neck tension, or perhaps he seated the bullet into the lands (he didn't say).

I see some bottleneck pistol cases have a neck only 0.15 long, but they use jacketed bullets.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2023 at 3:46pm by KWK »  

Karl
IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2023 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
I depends on a lot of things. But mostly how are you going to use the cartridge.

You need enough bullet in the case to keep it straight and from moving. 

A tube fed magazine will need a lot more hold on the bullet than a single shot where people can and will load it outside the case.

A revolver  tends to need a decent crimp so the other bullets in the cylinder don’t fall out under recoil.

In the example you gave, depending on how the bullet fit the chamber and bore, you have to consider if the cartridge becomes a press fit, bullet into the lands, is there enough hold on the bullet to keep it from pushing back in the case, or will It do it the same every time. 

You also need to be able to extract An unfired round without leaving the bullet behind and dumping all the powder into the action.

Once All those issues are worked out, then you might want to fool around and see the effect a few thousandths difference in neck diameter might have on accuracy. 

Just remember to not have such a tight fit that it deforms the base of the bullet when you seat it.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2023 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Fixed or Breech Seated ?

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2023 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I tried this very thing in a .357 Maxi chamber. In a word it didn't work too well. It's a heckuva long jump for the bullet out of a .357 Magnum to make, even if seated way out. Accuracy was "minute of deer" with multiple loads, but nothing close to what the Maximum cartridges deliver with 200 grain bullets.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2023 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
gnoahhh, I was thinking of a custom chamber, one with a long cylindrical throat to accept the 357 Mag case with the bullet about 1/8 deep, with perhaps just a hint of crimp over the base band into the bottom grease groove. With a bullet similar to the Keith the COL would be nearly that of the Max. With 4F it might scoot 1200 fps.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2023 at 10:24pm by KWK »  

Karl
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2023 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Hmmmm.  Consider a gas-checked mold design with no gas-check.  Using the rebated base as the only part that goes into the case.  Consistent minimal seating depth.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2023 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Below is a 357 Max basic brass case from Rocky Mountain Cartridge Co.
I shoulder was cut for the base of the bullet to sit one that regulates the bullet seating depth. The case was formed using a straight taper to 32 caliber. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

powderhead

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2023 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Well, as a GENERAL rule for broad range calibers, I've always considered 25% of the length of the bullet must be seated in the case.  I recognize that there may be a lot of exceptions to that rule, but it works in most situations.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2023 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Would a "stop ring" bullet serve here?

<div class=

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2023 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Here's a 40-50 SS with the bullet seated just on the baseband. This is my ram load.  The bullet is a Ron Long tapered spitzer over 55 gr Swiss 1-1/2.   

Bullets can be seated any way you like. One of our shooters seats bullets deep into his 45-90 cases for chickens. The tips of the bullets barely stick out of the necks.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Mar 24th, 2023 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
That's what I was thinking about, westerner. 

I once seated a .357 bullet about 1/8" when the seating die was misadjusted. I was surprised by the grip and how straight the bullet was. However, it was jacketed, and I don't bell cases with those, depending only on the case mouth chamfer.

Karl
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint