Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Re-sizing 45-70 brass (Read 1897 times)
Boob D
Participating Member

Re-sizing 45-70 brass
Feb 2nd, 2023 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
I just getting into a new caliber 40-65. I purchased 45-70 brass to resize, they arrived today. Earlier this week when the dies arrives I found a old 45-70 case and was able to resize it making several passes in the sizing die. Difficult be doable. The new brass (Star Line) very difficult, to the point that it seem I'm likely going to damage the rim. So the first question is, is the an intermediate die that can be used before the full length die? Second question to anneal brass, I've been told, you heat it up and drop it in water? That counter to what you do with steel.  Would annealing the brass make that much easier to resize? appropriate your comments.

Bob

IP Logged

TomKlinger

Re: Re-sizing 45-70 brass
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Starline recommends annealing there case necks if used for black powder. No, you don’t need to quench. Yes, you can but it doesn’t do anything. For reforming, anneal the cases about 1/4 to 1/3 of the length. Then when they are reformed, anneal again, this time only about 3/4” down from the top.
Hope this helps,
Tom Klinger

IP Logged

TomKlinger

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
P.S.
READ SOME THREADS ON ANNEALING BEFORE YOU RUINE YOUR NEW BRASS!!
Tom

IP Logged

1isenough

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Hmmm.  For my #1 Rolling Block (Egyptian) I lined a barrel and chambered for 40-65.  Great round, and very accurate in my old roller.  I sized Hornady 45-70 cartridges using a Lee press, Lee F/L die, and Lee sizing lubricant.  No problem, just did them in 2-3 pulls each, with not a lot of pressure on any pull, just firm.  I can't imagine the Starline brass would be that much thicker.  I suggest trying the Lee Resizing Lubricant.  Before and after I did anneal the top 1/2" for 4 seconds using a propane torch and a hand drill with a holder I rigged up (3/4" aluminum tubing, a old piece of barrel I glued into the tube, and a hex drive I glued into the piece of barrel).  I don't quench when I anneal - just let them sit in a wire basket where they fall, until cool enough to handle.  Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
anneal the brass and lube the snot out of em with a good lube before resizing. You might be able to get by without annealing if they're lubed up real good, but might crack a case neck or 2.

IP Logged

silver

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Just did 100 in fall , anneal top 1/3 of case , lubed with rcbs lube
And 2-3 strokes into the press and there sized. Re-anneal.
Worked fine . My cases where starline  also.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Have resized hundreds (likely over a thousand) from 45-70 to 40-65 and only time I've had a problem is when I've used too little too much case lube. Easy, one-stroke process thru my Redding FL sizing die. I prefer Imperial or Hornady sizing wax as it is so easy to use. I just rub my finger tips lightly on the wax and then around on the case before putting in the press. I do not anneal until after re-sizing and trimming to length.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
I have a set of RCBS 45-70 to 40-65 case forming dies that came with my rifle. Have never tried them but maybe I should do a couple just to see how they work. On the other hand I have more 40-65 brass than I do 45-70 so maybe I should be blowing out 40-65s to 45-70???

IP Logged

curdog

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
The easiest way I've found to anneal is using a battery drill to spin the cartridge in a tube or deep socket that exposes the case neck and shoulder. Heat the neck with a propane torch until it just glows red in a dark shop (I do it after dark), and then the hot case just gets flipped into a box. This technique is shamelessly plagiarized from 6mm benchrest, or some site like that where they are even more anal about reloading than I am!

Most wonderful case lube I have ever come across is 0-20W Synthetic engine oil. A quart goes a long way. Makes FL sizing 450-400 Nitro effortless.

IP Logged

JKR
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
It shouldn’t be THAT hard to size 45-70 brass. What are you using for lube?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 12:44am
Print Post  
If you anneal the cases prior to forming be very careful to barely anneal them! I've lost more annealed cases by annealing first than I have by annealing afterwards. Most crumpled and wrinkled the cases if annealed first.
Be sure to use a good lube like Imperial sizing lube. It's the best lube for forming cases. Once they're formed any lube will work, but many of the other lubes will possibly result in a stuck case, or rims pulled off during forming.
It often takes me 5-6 short attempts to get the .45-70's down to .40-65, so don't force them. If it feels too hard to pull down, stop and back the die off, and do it again, and again until it fully forms.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

KFW
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 6:35am
Print Post  
I just did a 100 cases using pure lanolin, 3 short pulls with the lube wiped on with finger.  These where .40-82 from .45-90 brass, no issues, I did anneal first also.
kw

IP Logged

Boob D
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Guys, you've given me some good input on resizing these cases. I started using Imperial wax and then tried RCBS on a pad. I would never have thought to use Synthetic motor oil, but will have to give it a try. I have resized many cases in the past, but never to this extent. Mostly neck and shoulder stuff. I see annealing in my future. Busy weekend, I'll get back early next week on my progress.  Thanks again.

Bob

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Back when I owned a 1895 Marlin lever action in .33 Winchester I sized down .45-70 cases for it. All using Imperial, but using various die sets to get there. First a .40-65 sizer, then .38-56 sizer, and finally the .33 Win. sizer. 
None of them were annealed first, and only annealed afterwards. Didn't lose a single case, but it took a long time to get them sized down from .45 to .33 using short strokes, and reapplying lube as needed anytime it felt like there was resistance when backing out of the die.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Why don't you just get Starline 40/65 brass? Whenever I've resized 45/70 to 40/65 I use Imperial die wax and do it in one stroke of the press. Anneal afterwards.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint