Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 22 Hornet Consternation (Read 1750 times)
fishoot

22 Hornet Consternation
Feb 1st, 2023 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
I resized some 22 Hornet cases for a Martini Cadet I had rebarreled to the Hornet.  Cases sized with a Lee Precision sizer would not chamber.  Found 2 CH sizers in my inventory and tried each, same problem.  Found my Redding sizer, problem more or less solved.  A few cases still seem to be expanded near the rim in the web area.  I suspect there is a chamfer at the mouth of the die that prevents the web from being resized enough.  Maybe 6 cases seem to have been fired in an oversize chamber and maybe from a hotter load.  I vaguely recall others mentioning chamber issues like this with their Hornet reloading efforts.  Have any of you had similar experience?  Am I correct in assuming some bolt or lever feeders have chambers wider in the area immediately in front of the rim? Huh

[/center][/center]

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 22 Hornet Consternation
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Maybe, but they shouldn't. Never had a problem with my 3 K-Hornets.

IP Logged

RAM
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I have reloaded 22 Hornet for many years, for bolt and single shot rifles. I cannot say I have had your exact problem, as I have always started  with new brass, and it sounds like you might be using once fired??, but the 22 Hornet has been probably the most troublesome for me in the way of the brass cases. They are very thin in there construction and I have had problems with the wall web area thinning very quickly with hot loads and also had my one and only episode of a case head separation with the Hornet. Do not get me wrong I love the round and have several rifles chambered in it. It is just a learning curve in most instances. 
The problem you describe does sound like excessive stretching/expansion,Probably from excessive head space or like you stated maybe some sort of belling at the web juncture from an automatic?? but I am not a expert and do not claim to be.  I just know that the Hornet case is prone to this sort of thing.
New brass would be the way to if you can find it. Smiley

IP Logged

fishoot

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the comments.  I have been acquiring some once fired and some new.  The brass is not easy to find or pay for if new.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Might try removing the expander assembly so you can then push the cases back out?
And to then put something on top of the shell holder that would allow it, the case to now go deeper into the sizing die. 
And allot closer to the rim and allot further down on the Web.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 12:11am
Print Post  
In 45 years of messing with Hornets I never experienced case issues - except when I danced on the edge of sane loads. Backing powder charges off saved brass, still killed critters, and made satisfyingly small groups on paper - and caused stray dogs to do my bidding, and made pretty girls in bars smile at me. (Could've also been the dog treats and drinks I proffered but those stories are for another time.)

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 8:01am
Print Post  
If you look at cartridge and chamber dimensions, the chamber is very 'generous', one of the reasons why factory ammo usually is pretty lackluster - it just moves around in there.   
I like my Hornet, but never load to the max, necksize only and use a competition seater.  And yes, fired cases will have that ridge at the base.  Reamer manufacturers often make tighter chamber reamers for the .22 Hornet, which does help a lot.  But a factory chamber can be made to shoot IME.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 8:30am
Print Post  
I never had a problem resizing shells to fit, but had a Hornet rifle with apparent runout at the rear of the chamber, ie, fired shells had an asymmetric bulge at the top of the base area.

Sounds like somebody used a “match” or minimum-dimension reamer on your rifle, and did a good job of running it in straight.  I understand that you can order shell holders from Redding with reduced metal thickness over the rim slot, to push the shells deeper into the sizing die and size them further down the base ahead of the rim.  One of those might take care of those last few shells that are difficult to chamber.

I notice a tendency of Hornet shells to lengthen slightly on firing.  If the shell mouths get into the leade, loads that previously worked fine begin to loosen primers and give other evidence of excess pressures.  Not much brass or resistance down there at the base.  Keep an eye on those lengths.

IP Logged

fishoot

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Bent_ramrod thanks for the tip.  I was thinking of making a die to size the web only using a chucking reamer to match factory load dimensions.  The shellholder would be the easy way.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Just a heads up. 

Unless Redding has come out with a new line Of shell holders, the “competition shell holders”‘do the opposite of what you need. The deck height is higher, shell sits in deeper than the standard .125”. 

This allows you to set the shoulder forward lessening headspace on a shouldered cartridge. And only has a max of .010”.

You would need to take some off the top of a shell holder to size more of the base. You may need more than .010”.

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Had no trouble with new 6.5 X 50R cases in my little BSA Martini and as new 6.5 x 50R cases are hard to find where I live I bought a hundred once fired ? cases off the web and found the same  problem around the web and filed the top of the shell holder down to get more of the case into the shell holder.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Sizing dies don’t do much to solid brass around the cases web. When I had a KHornet in a  TC carbine little too tight Found a specific lot of  brass that fit well, then sized  necks only after. Modest charges neck sized cases last a long time.

25/20 WCF gave me fits, too tight around the web, tried every trick short of rechamber no luck. I even sized in a big arbor press without a shell holder using a knock out rod to eject the case no success . It’s a gun I don’t want to alter the chamber. Found the right brass - WW 25/20 & don’t have any problems now. If you think sizing lower will work, and it may in your application, use a arbor press instead of a loading press.

Small case like the Hornet turning to reduce diameter rim or web not easy. I ruined a lot of 25/20 made from 32/20 brass trying. Today having a better Lathe and more experience MAY be able to do it. 

Rambling answer, short of it is 3 options. Size or Turn the brass, last resort rechamber. 

Boats
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2023 at 7:29am by boats »  

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Have never owned a 22 Hornet. But reading about the shell holder issues when resizing, I'm wondering if one of those old Lyman case resizing cylinders would solve that issue. The kind that are a simple cylinder bored out to case dimensions and have a large separate pin to punch out the case after it has been tapped in to resize. 
I find them occasionally at gun shows. Just sold a 22 Hornet set here with a set of 310 dies.
I've never used one myself. Has anyone here?

John

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 9:49am
Print Post  
How about setting the case on top of the shellholder, and knocking it out with a rod?  That might work.  Otherwise, just trim the bottom of the sizer a bit.

IP Logged

fishoot

Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Thanks MartiniBelgian!  That's the cheapest solution yet.  Just up my alley!  I only have a few fat based Hornet cases identified and the cost of a die or altering one is greater than your idea.  Thanks again! Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint